Tail Chasing

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 1:22 pm

My pup has been going crazy with tail chasing. He makes him self dizy. Is this a spring fever thing? First I thought it was side effect to heart guard. He does catch his tail and bites it, well its not really biting he barley touches it. Why the heck do they do the do that.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » March 30th, 2006, 1:34 pm

can you stop him? I've seen a cat tail-chase and that was her seizure. If the behavior started abruptly I'd think about checking him with your Vet.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » March 30th, 2006, 1:37 pm

My friend's shepherd tail chases as a way of dealing with his many nerosis. Definitely stop him when he starts to do it and redirect his attention to something else like a toy to play with. Just show him the acceptable way to expend his energy.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » March 30th, 2006, 1:37 pm

he could be bored too.. jamie taught jesse to chase her tail and i could have killed him for doing it.once in a while she will chase it, which lets me know to up her exercise a bit.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Well I wouldn't say it started abruptly. He would ocasionally do it if he saw his tail moving out the side. Its just become all of a sudden more hyper like in the air till he gets dizy. Yes I can stop him but he wants to continue. If he gets totally out of hand with it I will take him to the vet. This is like a once a day or every other day thing over the past few days and it is usually around the same time of day.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 1:43 pm

If I give him his Nyla bone he will go chew that instead. He seems to be doing the tail thing instead of the zoomies through the house.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 30th, 2006, 1:43 pm

My cats chase their tails... I think it's because they twitch them. and they think "that's moving I should attack it" :crazy:

Unless it is an all day every day thing, I dont' think I would worry.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » March 30th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Ben does it quite often.... He's actually mastered catching his tail, and it's more of a game for him that can easily be brought on by humans. All you have to do is pick up his tail and hold it sideways he'll get it then run around in a few circles. :rolleyes2: It can be quite funny, depending on who is around, and my daughter adores it. Sends her into immediate belly laughter. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 1:57 pm

JennKBM wrote:Ben does it quite often.... He's actually mastered catching his tail, and it's more of a game for him that can easily be brought on by humans. All you have to do is pick up his tail and hold it sideways he'll get it then run around in a few circles. :rolleyes2: It can be quite funny, depending on who is around, and my daughter adores it. Sends her into immediate belly laughter. ;)

Exactly, sounds quite familiar. WHich one is ben. The white or brown dog in picture?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 30th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Why my dear, the extraordinary rare red/rednose, tire loving, fruitcake chubby butt, toy obsessed psycho would be Benjamin. :wink3: Guess you could call him brown. lol
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Hmmm ok was wondering if it was a white dog thing.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Nah, not in my case at least. Maddie doesn't do a thing.
Jenn
undecided

Postby msvette2u » March 30th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Lambie does it too (She's my deaf Aussie mix). She does it out of boredom but even if she has toys to play with. It's in her toy repertoire so to speak. lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby huskyhouse » March 30th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I always tell people to stop that behavior in it's tracks, I've seen it turn into compulsive behavior way too fast!
I treated an Aussie several years ago who started doing it as a pup, the owners thought it was cute and encouraged it. It wasn't so cute when the dog chewed off almost 1/2 of it's own tail :o .
Several months of behavior modification, 600 bucks worth of Paxil and an amutation to clean up the damage done to the tail convinced me it's not worth seeing for my amusement :wink: .
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » March 30th, 2006, 5:13 pm

yikes. It is funny to watch but it gets anyoying so, I stop it! His trainer thinks he is part Border Collie. Every day he acts more like one. I do know of someone who has a springer pup who chases tail day and all night. On meds for it. I was hoping to hear more people say their dogs do this on ocasion. It seems he is doing it more because he sees his tail moving and it would be fun to catch it.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby bullymommy » March 30th, 2006, 6:26 pm

chub will chase his tail then he gets pissed so he spins over to the nearest wall and pins it against the wall and "catches" it then looks at me like see mom i caught it! dorky dog! :wink:
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 30th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Tallulah went through this, and in BTs it can become life threatening behavior ie they cannot stop, the OCD things! I redirected her with training, to get her thinking brain overriding her OCD brain. I also started flyball, which is a straight run sport-they run over a straight line of jumps, then back. She rarely spins now, and only when she is really boared and under exercised.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » March 30th, 2006, 9:36 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Tallulah went through this, and in BTs it can become life threatening behavior ie they cannot stop, the OCD things! I redirected her with training, to get her thinking brain overriding her OCD brain. I also started flyball, which is a straight run sport-they run over a straight line of jumps, then back. She rarely spins now, and only when she is really boared and under exercised.

This is what I was going to say, too.
Please redirect the dog, as this could become OCD.
Purple
I live here

Postby Malli » March 31st, 2006, 1:49 pm

As long as you can call the dog out of it, you're good. That was the only thing I was worried about, is if you hadn't tried that yet

As for everything else, what everyone else said :lol:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pit Bull Talk