This has probably been adressed before...

Postby Malli » June 12th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Marinepits wrote:
LaylaWoobie wrote:Did I care about my dog when she was fed kibble? Of course I did. Do I care about her more now just because she's not raw? No, not necessarily, but I certainly do feel that I care more about her nutritional and dietary needs. That's not saying that I loved her less as a dog, but I will admit that I wasn't doing all I could when she was on kibble. I just didn't know better. Now I do. I do feel that I'm taking better care of her now and feel as though she's getting better care and proper nutrition. You can tell JUST BY LOOKING AT HER. That's not even going into how she acts, how she performs at training and her general well being. That's simply by looking at her build, her coat and eyes/mouth.

And the bolded part above is the problem I have with the whole raw vs kibble debate. You may be talking about yourself in that statement, Kendell, but it does seem to be the general prevailing attitude from some of the raw feeders directed towards kibble feeders.

Anyone can tell by looking at my dogs that they are in fantastic shape, even with their various medical issues -- energy is through the roof, their coats are beautiful (even Mac's with all his allergies), and they aren't overweight no matter what Michelle says ( :wink: ). AND THEY ARE FED KIBBLE.

Don't try and tell me that "I'm not doing all I can for [them]" because if I was then I'd be feeding raw. Don't try and tell me that "I just don't know better" because if I did then I'd be feeding raw. I am a highly educated person and have done my research on all types of canine diets. There are MANY reasons I choose not to feed raw and among them are:

1. It's extremely cost prohibitive for FIVE dogs (and the occasional foster) in the area where I live -- Fairfield County, CT. Yes, I have looked in to local small groceries and it's still cost prohibitive.

2. Mac has EXTREME resource guarding issues and he's good while on kibble. He's not good when getting other types of food.

3. Everyone's health and allergies are stable on the high-quality kibble I feed and there's no reason to mess with that.

I could go on, but I won't. Kibble works fine for us in this house and I've yet to see definitive proof that raw would work any better for them.

And yes, I do know that I sound defensive and it's for good reason -- I'm tired of hearing some of the raw feeders on this board bashing on kibble, and it's not only in this thread. It's in any thread that this debate comes up. It's also the reason that I generally stay out of these debates.

Ditto for me, this is almost exactly how I feel.
I work extremely hard to keep my dog's quality of life in all aspects(mentally, medically, and even entertainment-wise) up, and find the "thats because s/he's eating kibble" or "its that crappy kibble" posts and comments quite offensive.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » June 12th, 2008, 3:25 pm

I have a RAW eater AND a kibble eater. I'm like Switzerland - neutral. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » June 12th, 2008, 3:27 pm

No, that just makes you indecisive. :wink: :mrgreen:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » June 12th, 2008, 3:38 pm

LOL!

No, it makes me an informed owner who knows what does and doesn't work for each of my dogs. :bitchSlap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I think we ALL get defensive ( kibble AND raw feeders) because we have all had to defend our choices time & time again. I think we tend to overthink someone's questions because we have been in so many arguments about it that i is just natural to think that someone is trying to pick a fight. I've defended myself on every board I am on for feeding raw. I've been called names, had personal attacks launched at me & been insulted. But, I didnt see her original question as being confrontational, I saw it as being curious.

I would never say that all kibble is bad & that raw is for every dog. It isn't. Find what best suits you & your dog & stick with it. Feed what you are comfortable feeding. i've had good results feeding raw but I know dogs that have not done well on it. There is no universal answer to dog's diets.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Oh & Liz blondie, I dont think we have an ignore button anymore?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 12th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Yes we do, smartass. Go to the User Control Panel and it's under "Friends & Foes."

:neener:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » June 12th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Oooooo, Liz schooled Deb! :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » June 12th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oooooo, Liz schooled Deb! :shock:

Well, I guess I will just have to ban her. :|

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » June 12th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Bye, Liz! Nice knowin' ya. :bye:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » June 12th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Dang, Liz - I'm gonna MISS you. :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » June 14th, 2008, 2:52 am

1. I don't care what anyone feeds. It's your dog, your property, feed whatever you want. Doesn't bother me in the least. I don't put anyone down for feeding kibble, and certainly haven't in this thread.

2. I'm not "defensive" about feeding raw. It's what I choose to do. Haven't posted in a defensive manner here at all. A question was asked and I answered with my opinion based on experience and the experience of many others. Disagreement does not equal defensiveness.

3. No diet is going to work for every dog. As stated, one of ours is on kibble right now.

4. At not point did I claim that raw feeders were in any way, shape, or form "superior" to kibble feeders. I made an observation on the general tendencies of dog owners to notice symptoms of ailment based on variables that may be spurious to the type of food they feed.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » June 14th, 2008, 2:55 am

FINALLY looked it up... :oops: :wink:

spu·ri·ous (spyr-s)
adj.
1. Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine; false.
2. Of illegitimate birth.
3. Botany Similar in appearance but unlike in structure or function. Used of plant parts.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » June 14th, 2008, 3:14 pm

In no way did I intend my comments to be a blanket statement (after dealing with BSL, I try to never do that on any subject, be open-minded etc)

however, I often feel like its just to much trouble to post anything contrary to positive info on RAW type feeding, like I'll be jumped on.... Just sayin, is all :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » June 14th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Well... stop it, Malli! Immediately! :shock: >(

I never discount any one, or two... or three... things anyone has to say.
As far as I'm concerned, Beast is a village project and I personally welcome all sorts of opinions and standpoints.
He didn't get fluffy all by himself. :oops:
Now WE all have to undo that. :wink: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » June 14th, 2008, 3:40 pm

amazincc wrote:Well... stop it, Malli! Immediately! :shock: >(

I never discount any one, or two... or three... things anyone has to say.
As far as I'm concerned, Beast is a village project and I personally welcome all sorts of opinions and standpoints.
He didn't get fluffy all by himself. :oops:
Now WE all have to undo that. :wink: lol

I agree with Christine, I take all information anyone says and try what I think might be a healthy and financial fit for me and my dogs. So please don't feel like not posting any suggestions. I am one that reads them all. :wave2:

Christine, I guess I can't bring Fluffy ice cream when I come. How am I going to get my kiss :confused:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Previous

Return to Raw Feeding