Using OTC medicines for your dog

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jaime » January 18th, 2006, 1:44 pm

how to determine dosage for your dog

1. WEIGH YOUR PET. First weigh yourself on your home scale. Then weigh yourself again while holding your pet and figure the difference. (Example: a 150 lb person weighs 175 while holding their pet (the pet weighs 175-150 or 25 lbs) This will be close enough except with very tiny puppies or kittens or toy breeds.

2. DETERMINE AMOUNT OF ACTIVE INGREDIENT PER UNIT (TABLET). Federal Law requires this to be clearly stated on the product label. For example:

a Children's Aspirin contains 80 mg
a Regular Aspirin contains 325 mg
an Extra-Strength Aspirin contains 500 mg

3. CALCULATE THE CORRECT DOSE FOR YOUR PET. The dosage is expressed as milligrams(mg) of active ingredient per pound the pet weighs. (Example: if the suggested dose is 10 mg per pound, a 10 lb puppy would need a 100 mg dose.)

The appropriate dose for many children's medications are stated on the package by age. NEVER use your pet's age to determine the correct dose for human drugs used as pet drugs.
ALWAYS figure the dose based on your pet's weight.

4. DETERMINE HOW OFTEN TO ADMINISTER THE DRUG. A good guide for pet health care will be very specific about the frequency a drug should be used.

Medicines you can use for your dog

Buffered Aspirin pain reliever- anti-inflammatory 5 mg per lg. every 12 hours
Vitamin B used as an appetite stimulant 1/2 to 2ml subcutaneously every 24 hours
Benadryl treats allergies, itching etc. 1/2mg per lb. every 8 hours (max dose 2mg per lb.)
Dramamine reduces motion (car) sickness up to 50mg every 8 hours
Hydrogen Peroxide 3% used to induce vomiting after accidential ingestion of poison 10ml by mouth every 15 minutes
Epinephrine 1:1000 used to treat reactions following medications, insect bites & stings 1/10 to 1/2ml intramuscular or subcutaneously
Pepto Bismol for diarrhea, vomiting & anti-gas 1 tsp per 5 lbs every 6 hours
Di Gel Liquid antacid and anti-gas up to 4 tbs every 8 hours
Mineral Oil eliminates constipation up to 4 tbs daily
Kaopectate relieves diarrhea 1 ml per lb. every 2 hours
Benedryl-Treat allergies, itching, reaction to insect stings, etc. 1 mg. per 1 Lb. 2 times per day
Mineral Oil -Eliminate constipation. Dogs: up to 4 Tbls. Daily, as needed
TAGAMET (or Cimetidine): Can be dispensed to dogs suffering from ulcer pains or to help reduce the amount of acid irritation in the stomach. It's best to discuss a proper dosage with your veterinarian.
MELATONIN - Often used for noise phobias (thunderstorms, fireworks, etc.) You may find Melatonin in health food stores, pharmacies, and some supermarkets. When selecting the Melatonin make sure to examine the labels carefully and select a product that contains the proper dosage for dogs. Make sure that it does NOT contain other herbs or nutrients. The usual dosage is 3 mg for a dog that weighs over 30 pounds. In a few cases, very large dogs weighing well over 100 pounds needed 6 mg, but that's unusual. For dogs that weigh less than 30 pounds, give 1.5 mg. For a tiny dog, reduce the dosage even further.

sources:
http://www.always-healthy-people-and-pe ... d-OTC.html
http://www.buckbasset.com/meds.htm
http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/PetHomeRemedies.html
Last edited by Jaime on January 19th, 2006, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 18th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Diamond has had diarhea for a couple of days now. I just bought some pepto and wondered about the doage. Thanks. :thumbsup:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby CinderDee » January 19th, 2006, 12:54 am

Great post! I just had to give Kato Kaopectate today.

Thanks!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jaime » January 19th, 2006, 8:32 am

thanks! glad this helped out-if anyone finds more, add on! :)
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2006, 10:51 am

Jaime - this is some GREAT information!

Would you mind sourcing it though? (you know, CYA and all that annoying stuff)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jaime » January 19th, 2006, 1:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:Jaime - this is some GREAT information!

Would you mind sourcing it though? (you know, CYA and all that annoying stuff)

thanks! i hear ya' :) i threw a couple of links in there but i got this stuff off of several sites. those are the manin ones :beerChug:
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 2:01 pm

This should be a sticky! (hint, hint)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2006, 3:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:This should be a sticky! (hint, hint)

Then make it one... you ARE a mod you know. :rolleyes2:

(The link is cleverly hidden under the original post if you go in to 'edit' it.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » January 19th, 2006, 3:36 pm

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER give your dog ibuprophen (Advil) or Acetaminophen (Tylonal) for ANY reason.

Even small amounts can cause renal failure.

Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are commonly used in humans for their analgesic, anti-pyretic, and anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) effects. Between January 1998 and March 2000, veterinarians at the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) consulted on more than 1,050 cases of accidental exposures to acetaminophen and 1,100 cases of ibuprofen ingestion in dogs and cats. Exposures to these medications can have serious effects on the animal’s health. Fortunately, with prompt, aggressive treatment and good supportive care, most animals will recover
completely.

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vec ... ?docID=132
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » January 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

I am just too cool. :smokin:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby kymn25 » July 20th, 2006, 11:48 am

:goodStuff:

thanks
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby EAL » August 7th, 2006, 5:14 pm

It is safe to give Valarian... which is a common herbal mix with the melatonin...
EAL
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » August 7th, 2006, 8:16 pm

EAL wrote:It is safe to give Valarian... which is a common herbal mix with the melatonin...

Yup, Halo gets Valarian everyday to try to help calm him down without drugging him.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby randi81 » January 24th, 2007, 11:55 pm

On January 18 2006, 12:44 PM, Jaime wrote:how to determine dosage for your dog

oh god bless you! ever since i brought saydee home from the shelter, she has had gas that clears out the room. i know this is normal, she's adjusting to have the same brand of food every time she eats, as opposed to eating whatever is donated that day, etc. but good lord she stinks! what a lifesaver! great post! :D
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 25th, 2007, 12:04 am

I just noticed this. Ruby is 48 pounds, I should give her 10 tsp? Thats over 3 tbsp, it sounds like an aweful lot to me.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby randi81 » January 25th, 2007, 12:42 am

mnp13 wrote:I just noticed this. Ruby is 48 pounds, I should give her 10 tsp? Thats over 3 tbsp, it sounds like an aweful lot to me.

i also found it odd that the reccomended dosage for melatonin is 3mg per 10lbs... i'm a grown woman, + i take a 3mg melatonin just abt every night so i can fall asleep at a regular hour. 1/2-1 3mg tablet is the dosage for a human adult! something has to be a bit off. :|
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby randi81 » January 25th, 2007, 12:43 am

On January 24 2007, 11:42 PM, randi81 wrote:[quote="On January 24 2007, 11:04 PM, mnp13"
I just noticed this. Ruby is 48 pounds, I should give her 10 tsp? Thats over 3 tbsp, it sounds like an aweful lot to me.

3mg per 10lbs.[/quote]

typo. i meant 30lbs, not 10. but still, you get the picture. :P
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby Malli » January 25th, 2007, 1:33 am

you have to give A LOT of liquid Pepto to a dog.
My vet's dose was as many as 3 tabs/day, or up to 1 tab every 8 hrs. Trust me, the tablets are much easier to give!

And actually, Tylenol can be used in dogs, I've seen it :| Just like with the aspirin, some dogs can have it, while some dogs can't, it can be to do with age, other medical problems, other medicine interactions...

Dosage in animals versus people can vary A LOT, sometimes they need much more then us, sometimes much less...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2007, 6:36 am

Just because of the fact that only SOME dogs can tolerate Tylenol, the vets I know do NOT recommend using it for the average owner/dog.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » January 25th, 2007, 7:10 am

really? As apposed to Aspirin I've seen it more at work...
(btw I was not intending to suggest that someone give their dog tylenol, I feel the same with regards to aspirin)
Either way, Ibuprofen is by far the most deadly and obviously should not be given and like all other Rx's, kept far away from pets (yes some will eat pills of their own accord!)

I should have also added, the Pepto tab dose was for approx 75 lb dog.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health