Tear Stains

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » March 29th, 2006, 12:05 am

I spent about a half hour with a certian wiggle butt dog trying to clean the reddish streaks off of his eyes. It barely made a difference.

Those of you with white dogs, what do you use to get the stains off?

He also has stains along his jaw.

any hints?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 29th, 2006, 12:06 am

There are some wipes that they sell which are supposed to target tear stains. I've never used them myself, though.

When I worked for a groomer we always worked on white dogs with regular dog shampoo mixed with and old lady whitening shampoo . . . I can't remember the name of it . . . but it worked pretty good. Unfortunately, for the most part, the stains aren't so easy to get rid of and will always be there in one way or another no matter what you do.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 29th, 2006, 12:12 am

I bought some stuff, it's called 'Crystal Eye' or something like that (I'm too lazy to go look right now)

It didn't seem to make much of a difference at all.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 29th, 2006, 12:55 am

Justice doesn't have them but Munkee does. Not bad but he still does. I have never been able to get rid of the stains. He has seasonal allergies & his eyes water anyway.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby gooeydog » March 29th, 2006, 1:39 am

Is it's reddish in color, it may be yeast. Haley gets the crusties in the folds of her mouth sometimes, I suspect she has food allergies, but I don't buy her food and my mom won't change her to anything different. I just wipe them out with a baby wipe after she eats and try to keep them dry, as the yeasty beasties love moist environments. Tear stain discoloration can also be caused by some type of minerals in the water, though I couldn't begin to tell you which, and if he's got the staining around his mouth too, I'd suspect the yeast before water. The vet can do a culture to see if it's yeast, and if it is they have meds they can give to knock it out of his system, or you can try a diet change, as I know certain foods tend to cultivate it.
gooeydog
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2006, 3:44 am

But, you can wipe away the yeast color, except on the nails (at least I could) :|

Hydrogen peroxide works wonders to get blood out of hair, but I'm not sure how safe it'd be using that near the eyes, or if it'd work...

There are tear stain removers for Bichons and Shih-tzus that are sold in stores... Do you know anyone that shows? I'm sure they would have a trick up their sleeve for something like that...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » March 29th, 2006, 8:57 am

Malli wrote:There are tear stain removers for Bichons and Shih-tzus that are sold in stores... Do you know anyone that shows? I'm sure they would have a trick up their sleeve for something like that...

that's the stuff I bought at the pet store, but you're right, a show person probably knows a trick or two.

The stains are brownish reddish depending on where. the ones near his eyes are more red, the ones on his mouth are more brown. I'm guessing it is something that you have to remove little by little.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 29th, 2006, 9:26 am

I asked a show person (unfortunately not one who has white dogs) and she said that there is a mixture that they use, just isn't sure what it is.

BUT apparently it can be treated homeopathically because staining is not something a healthy dog has. So maybe try to find a homeopathic vet in the area and make an appointment.

(And by saying the word "healthy" I don't in anyway mean to say that Riggs isn't healthy in the allopathic sense of the word. Rather in homeopathy health is looked at as a whole and so even a tiny thing that is off, like say weepy eyes or a hot spot, means that the dog isn't absolutely healthy, ie: the dog's body isn't running full force healthy . . . oh man that barely made any sense, I would have to go into a full on explanation of homeopathy and other holistic medicines to explain myself fully. It's too early in the morning for that.)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » March 29th, 2006, 9:53 am

I've read about putting a little apple cider vinegar in their water, as well as wiping nightly with a cotton ball and hydrogen pyroxide. I've never tried it, but it may work..
Jenn
undecided

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » March 29th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Piper is a whitey boy. We've always put ACV in his water (as suggested above) and never had problems with tear stains.

:dunno: :mask:
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 29th, 2006, 4:49 pm

JennKBM wrote:I've read about putting a little apple cider vinegar in their water, as well as wiping nightly with a cotton ball and hydrogen pyroxide. I've never tried it, but it may work..

I was just at my vet today and she recommended using 1 part white vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide and apply it under the eye area with a q-tip or small cotton ball. This mixture will also work for yeasty/smelly feet.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2006, 5:09 pm

the yeast on a skin in a dog who has a yeast problem eventually produces a rusty colored by-product. Typically it is seen on the nails (wich get rust stained patches on them), though I have seen it on Oscar on his underside, I could wipe it away with Rubbing Alcohol.
If it is actually yeast, then there is an imbalance in the body causing a bloom in the fungus (yeast, like mange mites, is always on a healthy dog). A veterinarian can do a "yeast test" from a skin scraping to check for it.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health