FlyLady Support Group

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 29th, 2006, 1:13 pm

Yes, I had to learn to only get out what I could complete in 15 minutes. It was not easy. Say I am doing the closet. I could only drag out one shelf at a time, or a half shelf if that is what it took, rather than empty the whole damn thing out all at once, get halfway done sorting, then feel totally overwelmed and have my bed full of crap, go take a break, then stuff it all back in the closet when it was bedtime because I got sidetracked on the internet.

(Can you tell I have been through this a few times!?)

I fit ADD criteria, and this system has really helped me.
It is, that said, not for everyone. Kinda like dog training techniques :D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby kymn25 » March 29th, 2006, 1:54 pm

my problem with cleaning is this:

First- I work 60 hours a week, have CFS :zzzz: , and Fibromyalgia
Second- I tend to be and all or nothing kind of person- so the doing a little bit a day concept doesn't work so well :mindblowing: , and then there is the It's just going to get messy in two minutes anyway, so why waste the energy. :|

All of this is not a good combination. So sign me up for Flylady
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pibblegrl » March 29th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Did someone say clutter?
I have piles on top of piles on almost every counter/table/endtable/other flat surface that isn't the floor (okay, sometimes the floor too), does that coun't?

I clean to keep things decent, and do the major stuff when I am feeling well enough to, which is not very often. Then when I do feel well enough to get something done, I would rather be enjoying myself doing something else.

And anyway when I get rid of my piles...news just seem to pop up out of nowhere. Does anyone else experience that strange phenomenon?
:|
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bullymommy » March 29th, 2006, 7:07 pm

well i joined flylady last night technically this morning after i told asa she sucks LOL i have appointments all day today so i get to shine my sink tonight or tomorrow after takeing spencer to his drs appointment. i think this will be good for me!!!!! hopefully get as much clutter down as posible before i start really really packing for the move!!! LOL that way i dont have clutter in the new house!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » March 29th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Bullymommy---Did you see the moving tips on the Flylady site?? (I had the link, but it didn't work for me) . . . :|
a-bull
I live here

Postby bullymommy » March 29th, 2006, 9:33 pm

not yet i will have to look for that. great tip thanks :D
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby girlie » March 29th, 2006, 9:46 pm

a-bull wrote:Bullymommy---Did you see the moving tips on the Flylady site?? (I had the link, but it didn't work for me) . . . :|

Moving tips?!?!..............please point me in the right direction :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby a-bull » March 29th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Click into the "Table of Contents" on the left side of her main page---voila! Tons of good stuff---then check out "Flylady's Moving Tips."

Moving stinks. Anything to make it less painful is good. :)
a-bull
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 30th, 2006, 8:07 am

I moved using her methods, and it was much, much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't follow everything, but I did as much as I could.

The thing that kills me is she is dead on about the getting dressed to the shoe thing. My husband got me a pair of really nice LLBean slippers for Christmas. So instead of putting on my lace up light hikers every day, I started slipping on my slippers.

Big mistake. I can feel the difference, and I am not as productive. I also can't seem to get moving until I put on real pants (no sweats) and a bra. Funny how when one thing is missing, I just don't feel right. Hair has to be done too, I have long hair, and if it is not combed and put in a braid, I feel like a slob.

I am telling you, this woman is a genius.

However, I have not bought anything on her site, that is not a prerequisite.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 30th, 2006, 11:44 am

How to make your porcelain sink look better than brand new. This method takes a few steps and some elbow grease, but it made my 70 year old stove look fantastic.

From How to Revive the Porcelain Finish on your Antique Stove, New Revised Edition by Jack Santoro (with comments and edits by Michelle)

Materials:
Oven Cleaner - liquid or spray
Sponges and clean cotton rags
old tooth brush
wooden tooth picks
Rubbing and polishing compounds - I got 3 different 'levels', coarse to fine
WHINK rust remover - a liquid used to remove rust stains from cloth
colored car wax - if your sink is white, get the stuff for white cars
409, Simple Green or other cleaner
Spray bottle with water

I'd do one side of the sink and then the other.

Step .5: Clean the sink out using the household cleaner so the only dirt left is the stuff we have to work to remove. Rinse well.

Step 1: rust stains. Follow this exactly or you will etch the surface of the porcelain like I did on my stove. Then you will cry, like I did. Then every time you look at it you will only see the nasty spot you ruined, like I do. Use the wink with a paint brush or tooth brush and rub it into the rusted spots. Do it carefully and as you see the rust stains disappearing rinse it off. It's better to do this ten times in a row than once and leave it on too long. Rinse very very well.

Step 2: Oven cleaner. Coat it down well and let it sit for 15-20 minutes to get the discoleration out of the scratches. Don't let the cleaner dry or it will be a pain to get off. Rinse. Dark spots and discoloration should be gone or lightened. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat as necessary. Use a sponge or toothbrush to get it into corners or scratches. If you have stains on the side of the sink, you can saturate a cloth with oven cleaner and then tape it to the spot like a bandaid. Leave for an hour or longer. Make sure it stays wet. I found that the ultra cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store actually worked the best, though the stench was horrible.

Step 3: Deep scratches. Use polishing compound and water to buff the scratches. If you need more 'bite' use a little powdered pumice. Don't go overboard here or you will go right through the finish. You just want to make the scratch less noticeable by removing the rough edges.

Step 4: Etched areas. Use the polishing compounds to smooth it out. It will never exactly match the sorrunding area, but it will make it less noticeable.

rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse... and then rinse again

Step 5: Making it shine. Use white cloth and rubbing compound apply the compound using small circles. When you feel the cloth start to 'drag' spray some water on the spot to re-wet it. Add more compound as needed and work your way around the sink. As you work you will see a 'sheen' start to appear, take a clean dry cloth and wipe the residue away and the finish should look great. When I did this with my stove panels I started with the coarse and worked my way to the fine compound. It took longer, but it made a difference. Don't go overboard on the coarse though, you'll add scratches that you have to remove. When you are happy with how it looks rinse well.

Step 6: Keep it shiney. Once it is nice and smooth from the polishing, use colored car wax to seal it in. Follow the directions on the container. Of course, you don't have to do this step if you don't want to, but it sure does look great.

This sounds like a TON of work, but I did all of my stove panels in a few hours, and I guarentee you that was 2 times more surface area than your sink.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » March 30th, 2006, 1:18 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I moved using her methods, and it was much, much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't follow everything, but I did as much as I could.

The thing that kills me is she is dead on about the getting dressed to the shoe thing. My husband got me a pair of really nice LLBean slippers for Christmas. So instead of putting on my lace up light hikers every day, I started slipping on my slippers.

Big mistake. I can feel the difference, and I am not as productive. I also can't seem to get moving until I put on real pants (no sweats) and a bra. Funny how when one thing is missing, I just don't feel right. Hair has to be done too, I have long hair, and if it is not combed and put in a braid, I feel like a slob.

I am telling you, this woman is a genius.

However, I have not bought anything on her site, that is not a prerequisite.

O.k., I know the shoe thing probably sounds really ridiculous at first blush, but I agree with you---it makes a huge difference. The days I don't slap on the shoes, I swear I only get half of my household stuff done.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 30th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Wow that website is jam-packed. Very interesting
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby a-bull » March 30th, 2006, 2:46 pm

That "Saving Dinner" book is worthwhile, too. I don't follow the methodology behind it, but I do use the recipes and the list of ingredients.

Whatever you do, if you're going to create a Control Journal, don't buy hers. You kind of have to create one to suit your own needs, especially if you work, so I can't quite figure out who her set-up is practical for. :|
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 30th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the instructions! I'll have to go out and pick some of that stuff up this weekend. My sink will be clean damnit!!!!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 30th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Michelle, you ROCK! Thanks for all the hints-we have porceline, and I have never owned one before (stainless and corian in the past) so had no idea how to care for it.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 31st, 2006, 2:07 pm

So when this topic first started I went to the flylady website and looked around but there was just soooo much info there that I got overwhelmed. However, last night I just spent about an hour and a half looking through the website.....and then I signed up. Tonight, the sink will shine.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » March 31st, 2006, 2:08 pm

Hey thanks!!! Rust remover. Who would have thought? :| :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2006, 4:08 pm

Well, that post took 30 minutes to type, so I want progress reports!!!

:D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 31st, 2006, 4:12 pm

Oh.............you mean..............I actually have to DO it? I jsut wanted to know if YOU knew how. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bullymommy » March 31st, 2006, 9:20 pm

my sink is shined!!!!!! next step is the oven!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic