We are DONE!

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Jenn » May 14th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Congratulations, I'm sure if Mick could speak he'd share that he's thrilled it's over.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » May 14th, 2008, 6:51 pm

He "shared"... peeing on the vets glass door can't be interpreted any other way. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » May 14th, 2008, 10:25 pm

amazincc wrote:He "shared"... peeing on the vets glass door can't be interpreted any other way. lol

True dat!
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » May 15th, 2008, 12:51 am

airwalk wrote:
amazincc wrote:He "shared"... peeing on the vets glass door can't be interpreted any other way. lol

True dat!

:ROFL2:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby KJS » May 15th, 2008, 2:15 am

I am happy to read that treatment is over :mrgreen:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby DropkickPA » May 15th, 2008, 9:40 am

Oh Yay!!! :congrats: :purpleBanana: :purpleBanana: :purpleBanana: :bday2:
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby Robin B » May 15th, 2008, 10:00 am

Mick you showed them how you felt on leaving lol

Way to go Mick and Christine!!!! I am so happy that treatment is oover for you...but not half as releived as christine I bet & mick you are a trooper.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Postby lellis34 » May 15th, 2008, 1:03 pm

YEAH!!! I'm so happy for both of you. And especially Mick - from his recent behavior it seems like he's had a truly life changing experience. Give him big hugs and kisses from me and King! :dogWink:
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby blabsforbullies » May 24th, 2008, 12:57 pm

We have been out of the loop recently (dock diving season is HERE!!! :woowoo: ), but wanted to say that we are SO HAPPY for you & Mickers! :helloClap: We have been thinking about you and will continue to do so! :greenRibbon: :confetti: :greenRibbon: :confetti:

:bowWave: GO MICK!!! FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!! :bowWave:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby concreterose » May 30th, 2008, 1:20 pm

That is SUCH great news...YAY mick!!!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » May 31st, 2008, 9:02 pm

:confetti: :mrHappy:

GO MICK!!!!!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby mnp13 » June 5th, 2008, 12:27 am

Now that his treatments are done, have you considered getting his weight down? It will put less stress on his entire system and make him healthier over all. There is a lot of evidence that chemo damages other parts of the body besides the cancer, including joints and bones. Getting his weight down should help mitigate that damage because there will be less stress on his body.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LaylaWoobie » June 5th, 2008, 3:25 pm

mnp13 wrote:Now that his treatments are done, have you considered getting his weight down? It will put less stress on his entire system and make him healthier over all. There is a lot of evidence that chemo damages other parts of the body besides the cancer, including joints and bones. Getting his weight down should help mitigate that damage because there will be less stress on his body.

and you could join the "michelle thinks my dog is fat" club. :giggle:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » June 5th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Well... I am ALMOST appalled at the suggestion that Beast is "fluffy"... :shock: :nono:

:giggle:

Anyway, seriously - Dr. Correa wants me to feed him THREE pounds of RAW daily (half in the morning, half at night), but right now I'm lucky if I get ONE pound into him. He will only eat at night, absolutely never in the morning.
It is very hot and humid here right now, so we mainly do our long walk/playing early in the morning, around three or four. He also carries his backpack w/four-pound weights in each pocket when we do walk (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours). For the most part he's very active outside when he feels okay.

Any suggestions on HOW to get his weight down? I'm somehow suspecting that it has to do w/the cancer, not so much that he's "too fat" from eating too much or lazing around. :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blabsforbullies » June 6th, 2008, 11:41 am

amazincc wrote:Any suggestions on HOW to get his weight down? I'm somehow suspecting that it has to do w/the cancer, not so much that he's "too fat" from eating too much or lazing around. :(

Has his thyroid been tested recently? :? Just a thought.... :dance:

Usually cancer patients have weight loss, not gain. But the lack of exercise certainly contributes. Did he lose muscle mass while on chemo? :sumo:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2008, 8:38 pm

No thyroid problems.
He weighted 75 pounds when he was diagnosed w/lymphoma in January and is now down to 69. How would I determine muscle mass?

mnp13 wrote:Your dog was fluffy back in December ;)
I know a little fat gives them some reserves, but fat is not healthy ever.

This is true. He also went through two surgeries last summer - one was to remove a tumor from his head, the other one was to remove a cataract in his left eye and put in an artificial lens. We were supposed to keep him quiet/sedated for three months after that, so his eye had time to heal and the lens wouldn't shift. He was only allowed to go out to potty - no running, jumping, nothing.

So... any concrete diet advise???
Like I mentioned - he eats probably 4-5 days out of 7, about a pound of RAW.
I DID bring up his weight gain during chemo therapy and Dr. Correa was not happy w/me... she insisted that he didn't need to lose weight and that I up his RAW to 3 pounds a day. Which I haven't done, because it would go to waste... he won't eat that much.

Could it be that switching him to RAW caused him to gain weight? I know that he looked much leaner when he was on kibble (the crappy kind)... should I try some high-quality kibble?

He doesn't "feel" flabby to me, he is very solid - I am open to suggestions though on how to slim him down a little.
We are as active as he wants to be and we walk A LOT when he feels up to it. Also go swimming whenever possible, play fetch, etc.

I'm kind of stumped on what else to do.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » June 6th, 2008, 9:12 pm

3 pounds of food is a lot... Layla was eating just under a pound of RAW a day when we first switched her to kibble and she weighed about 60 pounds. She dropped 10 pounds in about 2 months. We fed once in the morning and once at night. I slowly dropped her food down to about 3/4 lb per day and now we just switched to feeding once/day because she's still got about 5-7 pounds to lose. Right now she's at 49 pounds and gets fed once per day at night. We do either a chicken quarter, half a turkey neck or a barf pattie (we rotate through whatever we've got, with fish about once a week), plus her supplements and thats it.

She only gets about 1/2lb per day and thats it. I'm not sure about with him just getting over the cancer and the chemo treatments if his nutritional needs may be different, but it may be as simple as just cutting his food back :|
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

To LESS than 5 pounds of RAW a week??? :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LaylaWoobie » June 6th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Yeah, depending on what she gets each day it ends up being about 5-7lbs per week. Some chicken backs and turkey necks weigh more than others and I dont weigh them, I just eye ball them. We got adult turkey necks and I cut them in half, so she gets half per day. She gains weight really easily and has a very slow metabolism. She's still a few pounds above where I'd like her and she's by no means hungry. If she were hungry with me cutting back her food, I'd find another way to drop her weight, but she's doing great so far.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » June 6th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Mick doesn't eat much, that's why I'm kind of confused w/the whole situation.
He doesn't even get a lot of treats.
I've been bribing him w/ice cream cups AFTER dinner so he will eat at all. :|

We have some blood work coming up at the end of the month... I'll discuss his weight w/our regular vet and see what she thinks.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer