Great Pyr Pup Available

Postby Marinepits » May 22nd, 2008, 5:20 pm

Hey all --

A friend of mine took in an owner surrender. The pup is a pure bred Great Pyr, male, about 7 to 8 weeks old and already 16 pounds. The pup appears to be very healthy -- no heart or joint issues at this point. He will be given his vaccines and started on Heartguard tonight. She is lookng to place the pup in a permanent home ASAP.

Pics to come soon.

If you're interested, please PM me.

For those who don't know what a Great Pyr pup looks like:

And here's an adult:

And the stats:

The Great Pyrenees is also known as the Pyrenean Mountain Dog. Full grown this is a very large animal with a solid muscular body. The long, coarse, outer coat is either straight or slightly wavy, while the fine undercoat is soft and thick. The coat is weather resistant which allows it to live outdoors year round in very harsh climates. Coat colors come in solid white, or white with patches of tan, wolf-gray or pale yellow. It has a black nose and dark brown, almond-shaped eyes with a thoughtful, intelligent, dignified expression. The Great Pyrenees looks a lot like a brown bear except for its light coloring. The body proportions are somewhat rectangular; the length is slightly more than the height at the withers; the topline is level. The chest is fairly broad. The head is wedge-shaped with a slightly rounded skull with no apparent stop. The medium-sized ears are triangular and pendant. The muzzle is wide and slightly pointed, and its lips are not pendent. The teeth should ideally meet in a scissors bite, but level bite is allowed. The Great Pyrenees has single dewclaws on the front legs and double dewclaws on the hind legs. The long, feathered, plumed tail curves upward slightly at the tip and reaches at least to the hocks.

The Great Pyrenees is a capable and imposing guardian, devoted to its family, and somewhat wary of strangers - human or canine. They are often used to guard livestock. When not provoked, it is calm, well- mannered, and somewhat serious. Courageous, very loyal and obedient. Gentle and affectionate with those he loves. Devoted to family even if self-sacrifice is required. It is very gentle with its family and children. It does best with children when it is raised with them from puppyhood. It has an independent, somewhat stubborn nature, and may try to dominate a less secure owner. A serious worker, but very independent. Be patient when training the Great Pyrenees, as it may be slightly difficult. It is important to socialize and train this breed properly to insure good citizenship. Male dogs can be aggressive with other animals. The Great Pyrenees is good with non-canine animals, and usually loves cats. These dogs do not reach maturity until they are about 2 years old. Some are not good off the leash and may wander away. The Great Pyrenees tends to bark a lot and some tend to drool and slobber.

Height: Dogs 27-32 inches (69-81cm.) Bitches 25-29 inches (63-74cm.) are the average heights, but some Pyrenees are as much as 40 inches (1 meter)
Weight: Dogs from 100 pounds (45kg.) Bitches from 85 pounds (38kg.)

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby gayrghts » May 22nd, 2008, 7:06 pm

They require a lot of brushing/grooming...

a friend of mine takes the fur from their 3 great pyr's and makes it into yarn and makes sweaters out of it....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 22nd, 2008, 7:15 pm

Eh, they're not so bad. I've groomed quite a few of them over the years and I'd rather groom them than a collie or a sheltie.

We had several people who would come into the grooming salon and ask for the brushed-out hair -- either for yarn or to spread around their gardens/yards in hopes of keeping deer and coyotes out.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » May 22nd, 2008, 7:38 pm

AAAKKKK! What an adorable fluff ball!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 23rd, 2008, 12:18 am

my aunt used to have 2, they're very sweet dogs
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby KJS » May 23rd, 2008, 2:12 am

I would LOVE one...so laid back...make wonderful pets...but do like to be outside...and like to herd...somewhere with a tolerent gaggle of geese or chickens would be ideal...and they certainly dont slobber as much as a Saint
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 23rd, 2008, 7:56 am

Here are some pics of the little rascal!

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 23rd, 2008, 9:19 am

OMG...if I didn't live with Johnny Knoxville...er...um....Mr. Spartacus I would take him in a heartbeat!
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 23rd, 2008, 9:51 am

LMAO "Johnny Knoxville"
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 23rd, 2008, 10:05 am

He jumped out of the second story window last night...Johnny Knoxville is an accurate description :D
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby madremissy » May 23rd, 2008, 10:07 am

He is adorable. A friend of mine had one for years on her farm. He was a wonderful dog. He was great with the kids.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » May 23rd, 2008, 10:12 am

Wyldmoonwoman wrote:He jumped out of the second story window last night...Johnny Knoxville is an accurate description :D

:o HOLY TOMATO!!! Is he okay?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 am

O M G how freaking cute!!!!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 23rd, 2008, 10:44 am

Marinepits wrote:
Wyldmoonwoman wrote:He jumped out of the second story window last night...Johnny Knoxville is an accurate description :D

:o HOLY TOMATO!!! Is he okay?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, he's fine, his ball was out in the side yard and he saw it through the open window and lept through the screen, I think he landed on his head, we watched it happen like it was in slow motion and there he was in the yard, ball in mouth, wagging his tail...having Mr. Sparks has been an experience and each and every day he does something a little bit more insane
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 23rd, 2008, 11:39 am

What was the reason for the turn in? Is he papered? Intact?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » May 23rd, 2008, 11:45 am

Teen brought it home without asking mom first and their landlord doesn't allow dogs. He is intact (for now). I don't know too many other details.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 23rd, 2008, 2:18 pm

oh man, that second picture he just looks like trouble :dance:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » May 23rd, 2008, 3:20 pm

It looks like a very nice puppy!
How can a teen afford to buy a pup like this?These dogs cost a lot. :|
I hope you'll find a great home for him! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 23rd, 2008, 3:58 pm

Apparently, it was a "surprise" large litter and the owners couldn't sell all the pups, so the owners gave one to this kid, who is a friend of their kid.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ellie@ny » May 23rd, 2008, 4:02 pm

Marinepits wrote:Apparently, it was a "surprise" large litter and the owners couldn't sell all the pups, so the owners gave one to this kid, who is a friend of their kid.

Ah...How awesome is that??? :x
:crazy2:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Next

Return to Rescue