PSA

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby DemoDick » February 3rd, 2006, 11:42 am

Anyone else out there doing PSA, Ring, or Schutzhund? Any bitesport at all?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Pitcrew » February 4th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Used to do schutzhund with Willie years ago, he had his B and AD (I think thats the title for the endurance test, its been awhile) and was trained thru 1, but never practiced tracking enough to test.

Interested in checking out your PSA sometime.

I think Vega would be a good dog, but not sure if I would train her... depends on the requirements. I dont want any of the training to conflict with anything else I am working her in.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 5th, 2006, 2:52 pm

We train Monday, Wednesday, Friday evenings and Sunday mornings.

You're welcome any time!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 2:11 pm

French Ring with the Malinois, although I haven't trained in a while due to insanity at work and moving. Now, I can't find my stupid cold weather gear anywhere. Which box is it in??? :evil:

Grant is retired, due to slipping hocks. He's doing OK, but is reluctant to jump. I figured, why make him if it is uncomfortable? I'm not going to break my boy down faster over a sport. He's kinda pouty over it, but Grant needs to last forever, as he's my bestest boy :D
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 27th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Dick, is there a good website that can explain and define PSA for me and the differences between it and other bite sports?
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 11:53 pm

http://www.psa.org is the PSA website.

I don't know of any that do an overall comparason.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Chris Fraize » March 28th, 2006, 12:03 am

Hello all,

We compete in many different dog sports, to include obedience, agility and weight pull. Our favorite however is the non-pattern personal protection venue.

We find them the most realistic and challenging way to bring all the elements of training and teamwork together. We like to train and trial “outside the box”. The pattern is what we try to avoid. Realism in training is what we aspire to. Our goal is to have “go anywhere” dogs that are safe, under control, and happy in the work. In short we prefer functional working dogs that will work in any situation.

We are not “points people”. Our training is practical not technical. We believe that the functionality has disappeared (in most cases) from dog sports.

We avoid pattern style obedience and bite work (for the most part). Traditional obedience and bite work is too much like figure skating for our taste. We enjoy the “seat of your pants” or “real life” obedience and bite work.

For instance, a courage test isn’t really a courage test if the dog knows it is coming. Yes, the traditional courage test puts pressure on the dog but it can be trained for. Dogs can and are “trained” to pass. A real life courage test would have environmental pressure as well as pressure from the decoy and should be a surprise to both dog and handler.

Our club the Maine Association of Dogsports hosts four events per year, the FROSTBITE winter personal protection tournament, The Swamp Stomp, the M.A.D. Summer challenge and The Nite Bite, as well as open to the public bite prevention seminars every year.

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Pitcrew » March 28th, 2006, 11:29 am

lol Michelle! That website is the Paralysis Society of America! :o

I don't need THAT kind of help yet! What are you trying to tell me?! :D

Thanks for the info Chris. But I don't consider agility pattern training. Obedience? YES, definitely! That is why it has lost its appeal... just not as much of a challenge. Sch. too... but although agility will never mimic real life, the courses are NEVER alike, and the higher levels are an extreme challenge to handle and direct the dog while they and you are at top speed. Sometimes its hard to remember the course, much less think as fast as the dog can run!

Yes, I am being defensive... but I do see, and appreciate, what you are saying. Hopefully I will see an event soon. I would like to check it out.
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 28th, 2006, 12:38 pm

lol

well... that's what happens to decoys when they screw up :wink:

http://www.psak9.org
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports