training

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » March 28th, 2006, 8:13 am

Rocky and I completed advanced beginner Positive clicker obedience last night. (I hardly use the clicker mostly use for shaping)This was a new type of training for us. Prior Rocky completed beginner and most of Novice through a local AKC club. AKC club training was a little different using a choke style collar with no treats at all. Rocky did ok with that but began showing signs of not enjoying being told "shame on you" with a shake of collar. So we switched to the other style which is on the other end of the spectrum. Rocky is doing well with it, However he has reverted back with some behaviors. Not sure if it is a stage or the food (he is a pig). So we will be taking the next session which is called intermediate where we will work on real life scenarios. POLITE greeting of guests which we really need work on. I would like to hear about other peoples experience with training. What styles they have done and how it worked for you and your dog.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 28th, 2006, 8:58 am

I find that clicker rocks with bull breeds. They love to figure out how to get you to click. However, at some point they need to have limits, which clicker canot help. I am finding the long down is a great help for that. Walking on loose lead, some dogs get it without corrections, but many dogs do need a correction. I teach position first at a stand still, then position moving. Then I add in distractions and play the granny game, where there is a bowl with a treat at one end of the room, and the dog must remain in heel position in order to move forward, or he starts back at the beginning. Many dogs have to be reminded to get the treat they are so busy looking at the owner. Only then do you head outside. It takes awhile but for owners who will not or cannot give a good correction, it is a good alternative.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 28th, 2006, 9:06 am

i have done clicker with rufus, clicker and compulsion with jesse, and straight training with no clicker no compulsion with sonny.since all 3 are super food motivated, it helped alot. after a while i kept taking classes and reduced the number of treats being given.while working outside the classroom and house i used clicker and treats, and then reduced the treats as well.. what kind of behaviors is rocky doing?

and congratulations on graduating!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 28th, 2006, 10:43 am

Well at home he is doing great. Except when visitors come he is starting to do the jump on them greet again. Which trainer will start working with next week.
When out for walks he use to walk beside me in a nice heel. Since change in training using flat collar he is walking ahead of me. I would like a looser leash when walking.
And last night in class we were doing off leash practice. Rocky was doing much better than expected. However if someone got back to their dog before me and gave a treat. Rocky took off and tried to steal the treats right out of that persons hand. That was embarrasing. Then he was the only dog not to come to me on recall. He was too busy checking the floor for food. Eventually he made his way to me. Trainer even had me run away. But when Rocky is focused on something he could care less if I run away. He does come back in the house when I call him from outside. Now that weather is getting better I probably will get to the park and try recall on long lead.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 28th, 2006, 10:48 am

Clicker training is all well and good, but it sounds like your dog needs some boundries.

Walking ahead of you is a self rewarding behavior. He doesn't feel like listeneing so he's not going to. Sniffing the floor and ignoring you is a self rewarding behavior. You don't have what he wants so he's going to look elsewhere for it.

This is one of the reasons that I don't believe that all positive works for anything - kids or dogs. Some only need a look or a word to keep them in line, others need more.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 28th, 2006, 10:51 am

what i did was when visitors came over mine were on leash attached to me. this way i could correct them if they tried to jump. i would hold a piece of treat next to their nose and say no jump... had to repeat it a few times but it worked... rufus has done that in class too, ignore me and run to the person holding the treats, he did that in our offleash class to (one of the people gave their dog steak, and he preferred steak to natural balance) so i upgraded to hamburger.. but he would do the same thing rocky did.. i was soo embarrased.. i just worked harder with him at home and in the yard as well, and eventually we got it. when rufus would pull in front of me i would immediately turn and walk the other way.. kept doing it till he got it.. he does fall back sometimes, so i just rework him. jesse on the other hand is a constant work in progress
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 28th, 2006, 11:02 am

I am sure he does need boundries. I plan to raise him like I am my kids. Strong discipline with small rewards. I am going to do an equal balance of both. We did the all discipline with only a good boy and a pet. Too harsh for him. THe clicker treat is too rewarding for him when it comes to walking the room. When it comes to working and mind games he is the best in the class with clicker and treats. Ignoring everyone else. I think if I do a little of both things will be fine. He is very smart and loves to learn new things. He just gets way over excited about going to training. He still is turning bright red when we get there. And he likes the trainer tooo much. Sometimes he rather be with her than me.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 28th, 2006, 12:09 pm

****Cross-post from another topic****

I hope it's okay to cross-post this here - it's training related!

Okay, I spoke with a potential trainer today. I liked him. He works for Bark Busters, http://www.barkbusters.com/ . They do in-home training. It costs $475 and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Any time Inara needs more work on something, they come back out. And the guarantee goes with the pup, so if by some chance she has to find a new home (I laughed at him for that one - can't imagine ever giving her up!) her new owners would be able to get free training. They teach you to be the leader of the pack by body language and voice. He said no e-collars or prongs, occasionally a choker while working on leash, though he said if I was against they'll work around it. Here's the link to the trainer who would work with Inara - http://barkbusters.com/Module/Article/A ... category=9 . He said generally in one to two sessions the owner is capable of training the dog on their own. He said the first session is 2-3 hours, and any follow-ups are about 30 minutes. He emphasized that he would not come to train Inara, he would come to train me. He actually walked out of a woman's home because after meeting with him she said she didn't have time to do what he was requesting (15 minutes of practice a day). He actually owns a pit-mix and was raving about what loving dogs they are but how they need firm leadership.
I don't know, I kinda liked him. Just from the descriptions, and the websites, what do you more experienced people think? Thanks, and sorry for the long post! This just seems like such a potentially life-changing decision!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » March 28th, 2006, 12:45 pm

houlabulla? wrote:
When out for walks he use to walk beside me in a nice heel. Since change in training using flat collar he is walking ahead of me. I would like a looser leash when walking.
And last night in class we were doing off leash practice. Rocky was doing much better than expected. However if someone got back to their dog before me and gave a treat. Rocky took off and tried to steal the treats right out of that persons hand. That was embarrasing. Then he was the only dog not to come to me on recall. He was too busy checking the floor for food. Eventually he made his way to me. Trainer even had me run away. But when Rocky is focused on something he could care less if I run away. He does come back in the house when I call him from outside. Now that weather is getting better I probably will get to the park and try recall on long lead.

Keep in mind that walking in front of you and ignoring you are both signs of dominance (many, many, many dog books state this). While your dog might not be dominant everyday, he is showing some dominance with SOME of his behaviors. Nip it in the bud because he'll try more and more stuff....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior