O hell no!!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby cheekymunkee » March 26th, 2006, 7:02 pm

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common ... 62,00.html

Cute in a strange kind of way.

Rush on roodles makes oodles
By DINA ROSENDORFF
26mar06

FIRST there were labradoodles and Maltese Shih Tzu.

Then came cockapoos, spanoodles and pugaliers.

Now make way for the latest designer dog, the roodle – a cross between a rottweiler and a poodle.

Demand for the roodle – fluffy like a poodle, but stocky like the rottweiler – has been heavy, with orders from as far as Hawaii, where one fan paid $2150 for a blended dog.

Breeder Fred Freeman, who believes he is the first to create the roodle, said the cross-breed took 10 years to produce.

He says they combine the low-allergenic, non-moulting, non-smelling advantages of the poodle with the intelligence of the rottweiler.

He dismisses the idea that roodles may be dangerous because of their rottweiler ancestry.

"These dogs have gone to disabled and special care families because they're brainier, more docile, laid back and easy to train. Their owners are laughing."

Mr Freeman has bred three litters of roodles with a total of 24 dogs and charges $1200 for each animal.

The cross-breeding designer dog phenomenon sweeping the pet sector has some industry members believing breed manipulation has gone too far.

But Geoff Gower from the Pet Industry of Australia says there should be no concerns if the dog is well bred and breeders have the animal's best interests at heart.

"The words `designer dog' are purely for marketing, because at the end of the day it's a mixed breed and Australia lives and thrives on its mongrels," Mr Gower said.

Breed manipulation began in Australia in the late 1980s when Guide Dogs Victoria was asked to develop a low-allergy seeing-eye dog.

The result was the labradoodle, strong and intelligent like the Labrador, but with the coat of a poodle, which meant it didn't shed.

The shaggy labradoodles came to the public's attention and mixed breeds became all the rage.

Mr Freeman believes the demand for designer dogs stems from the fact they are healthier than purebreds, which can have genetic problems from in-breeding.

"They don't have the disease and problems of the purebreds, but the golden rule is you have to start with good breeders in the first case," Mr Freeman said.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » March 26th, 2006, 7:06 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 7:21 pm

That really makes me want to bash my head into a brick wall. Just wait until rottn1 reads this tomorrow . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Oh it's so ugly!!! I hate the designer dog fad.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pittie_1 » March 26th, 2006, 9:17 pm

:o I know im scared!!!
pittie_1
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » March 26th, 2006, 9:24 pm

It just gets worse... :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jesseca » March 27th, 2006, 1:59 pm

You have got to be kidding me! :hammer:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 2:01 pm

that is just scary... poodles are nasty.. i got bit 3 times by my neighbors standard poodle, he would jump the fence and attack anyone walking by... mix that with a rott. great just freaking great
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Hoyden » March 27th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Maryellen wrote:that is just scary... poodles are nasty.. i got bit 3 times by my neighbors standard poodle, he would jump the fence and attack anyone walking by... mix that with a rott. great just freaking great

My thoughts exactly - I am not fond of standard poodles.

Hell, the vet in Italy I worked with used to muzzle them when they came in. Some italians used them as guard dogs!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby CinderDee » March 28th, 2006, 1:58 am

This is getting ridiculous! :evil:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » March 28th, 2006, 2:09 am

:puke: :rant2: :sad3: :tmi: :storm: :rain:

...and that's how I feel.

Oh, and this: :cry:
Fear_the_Sheeple