Help with Treadmill

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby bustersmama » March 27th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Well, I finally got one. Its one my friend wasnt using anymore, so its not specifically made for my dogs, but I would like them to use it.

I have started feeding them on the treadmill (they were both a little nervous about the whole thing initially) I also leave it on during the day (its kind of loud and they dont like the sound) and lastly I taught them "treadmill" which means jump on it and get a treat and "Hop down" (you take a gande at what that means)

ANYWAYS - Ginger has already picked it up and will walk on it. Although I am already seeing the need to enclose it, so there is no "escape" route. I dont have the proper equipment to have her use it on her own, so I stand over her and make sure she doesnt fall or trip.

Buster on the other hand, I turn it on (he doesnt run, which is good) but he just stands there and lets himself slide off! Seems like I might need more than one person to help me with him, but I am hoping someone here will be able to advise me with getting him to walk. I make him watch Ginger when she does it and I think that is why he is not scared of it anymore.

My questions -

What type of gear do I need? Do they have harnesses specifically made for this type of activity? Anything close?

The tread on the machine - Is it safe for their paws? Just by looking at the tread mill breifly, it appears I may be able to put another layer of something on it - I just dont know what?!

How to start them out time wise? My dogs are in okay shape - Buster is over weight and Ginger is almost to her optimum weight. Should I have the vet take some xrays or evaluate them for this type of excersise?

I guess thats it for now.
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 27th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Good question! I will be getting one soon... and want to teach the pack to use it by next winter. We just started biking today.

No more off season :D ... for me either :o :rolleyes2:
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby bustersmama » March 28th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Thanks for replying Lisa, someone on another board answer a lot of my questions, pretty thoroughly - I sent you a PM with the info/link. (I didnt know if you needed the link, just thought I would share!)

The dogs are now running on the treadmill and loving it. Only thing I would like to do now, is box it in and get a little more support for them while they excersise!
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior