Bark Busters?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby demolitionic » May 13th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Has anyone heard of/know anything about/worked with Bark Busters?

They are trainers that come out to your house to help you address problems with your dogs.

They apparently have worked through my clinic before and came in today to drop off some more brochures and whatnot.

I got to talking to the trainer about Bunny's leash issues and fear aggression.

He said he would be happy to work with me on that stuff this weekend some time, and would only charge me for the materials (the collar, (he called it a training collar, and said part of it is a chain), leash, and 30 ft. lunge line, which all come out to be about $60.). He said that they correct this issues by teaching you how to be "dominant over the dog".

Are they all nutsy cuckoo? Anybody know?
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 13th, 2008, 6:59 pm

http://www.barkbusters.com/

Home Dog Training - We Come to You!
Ideal for:

Solving behavioral issues such as aggression towards people or other animals.
Curing embarrassing habits like barking, jumping up on people, scratching and whining at the back door.
Creating an obedient dog or puppy that will happily walk on leash without tugging, sit or stay on command, and come immediately when called. (Sorry, we don't train children!)
Setting off-limit areas for your dog.
Reducing the stress of separation anxiety without the need for sedatives or drugs.

The Bark Busters Method
We teach you to communicate with your pet.

"Blah, blah, blah, bad dog!" Do you think your dog isn't listening to you? Maybe you simply are not speaking his language.

The Bark Busters method is based on the way dogs communicate with each other and how they learn from older, more important dogs in the pack. This is what makes our training unique and effective.

Why do we train in your home?
Your dog lives with a family, in a home. This is where he misbehaves most often so this is where training is most effective. Dogs learn by association. Bark Busters teaches your dog to listen in the home environment. If it does not listen at home, it will not listen outside your territory.

Training in your home is a one-on-one system without the distraction of other dogs or the stress of being sent away for training at a kennel.

Customized training
All dogs are not the same, so we vary our approach based on each dog’s personality and temperament and what will work for that dog. We also vary the training to suit the family's specific needs and lifestyle, the dog's environment and what YOU do or don't want from your dog.

Non-physical
The Bark Busters method does not include the use of big sticks, rolled newspapers or threats of any kind.

We do not use shock collars, spray collars or pronged collars.

We teach you to use just your VOICE to control your dog . . . both on and off leash, at your home, at the park . . . anywhere.

It sounds like it must be a choke or a martingale with a chain on it. :|

$60 for a collar, leash and longline is pretty steep. You probably have a leash, longlines are about $15, and that leaves $45 for a collar... so get one from Noel or Lisa and at least it will be pretty!

Interesting page: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 705AAr2irl
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » May 13th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I know of the BarkBusters in this area, and they don't have the best reputation...at least here...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » May 13th, 2008, 8:03 pm

They have a great business plan...they usually charge a large lump sum (I heard $700), but then you get training help for the dog's lifetime. :shock: Great if you can cough that up in one go. ;)

They were brought up at Clicker Expo (and the entire audience groaned)...in the "Grow Your Business" seminar...I don't know much about them, other than what I heard there. It's not my cup of tea, training-wise. They are a franchise also...which makes me wonder about the people that own them.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby demolitionic » May 13th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Well, what really frightened me is, he asked some questions about her, and I said she's fear aggressive. He responded with, "Fear and aggression are different issues." :neutral:
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 13th, 2008, 8:50 pm

We have Bark Busters around here too. Steer clear. That's my advice . . . and the advice of a couple of my clients!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby demolitionic » May 13th, 2008, 8:54 pm

edit: I'm a retard, thanks for playing. Disregard this post.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby madremissy » May 13th, 2008, 9:03 pm

demolitionic wrote:edit: I'm a retard, thanks for playing. Disregard this post.

You are not a retard, if you wouldn't have asked you would have never known. :wink: :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hey21jude » May 14th, 2008, 7:44 pm

corporate dog training....ummm.....scary!

You are not a retard, if you wouldn't have asked you would have never known.

ditto :mrgreen:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » May 14th, 2008, 10:21 pm

I didn't know about them until CE a few months ago...before that, I never would have answered your question...because I didn't know a thing about them. :confused:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » May 14th, 2008, 10:26 pm

demolitionic wrote:Well, what really frightened me is, he asked some questions about her, and I said she's fear aggressive. He responded with, "Fear and aggression are different issues." :neutral:

In theory that's true. :wink:

I had no idea that there is such a thing as fear aggression until I was educated here. Then again, I'm not a trainer who should be well versed in such types of behavior if I profess to be able to help you w/your dogs issues. :rolleyes2:

I haven't heard anything good about our local Bark Buster.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Robin B » May 17th, 2008, 7:16 pm

We have Bark busters here in England(UK)....I phoned them up when I first got Gerda and they wanted nearly £400 in one lump sum.

OK they said it would cover any issues I had with Gerda over her life time, but, they woulddn't consider a payment plan even if it was done by direct debit each month....that sort of put me off a bit.

Thanks for posting a question about them as I have learnt a bit more about them now.
Robin B
Confident Young Bully

Return to Training & Behavior