Erin, BH Questions...check here!

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » May 12th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Hey, you...

Okay, so I want to show Cy and Nisha in the BH....I know the routine rather well...however, both my dogs come directly to heel on the recall...will they fail because of that?

For the traffic test, can I leave my dog in a down stay?

It's the same pattern for both on and off-leash heeling, right?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 12th, 2008, 9:03 pm

hey there katrina,

i think you will find the BH to be remarkably easy with the training you have put into your dogs! it's a test of basic obedience skills/knowledge, control of the dog, and temperament. if your dog messes up a position here or there, or comes to heel instead of to front, you will be fine--the judge will likely make note of it in your critique afterward and that's about it.

in the traffic portion of the test, you walk in a line past the biker/jogger/and moving vehicle, but the neutral dog part is done on a tie out and you can indeed put your dog into a sit stay or a down stay if you choose. but even if he breaks the sit/down as long as he does not behave aggressively toward the neutral dog, you're fine. they do ask the neutral dog handler to be about 5 feet from the dog, too, which makes it pretty easy.

the hardest part is probably the "crowd scene," because it can be a bit claustrophobic. the dog is on leash, and the judge asks you to bring him into a circle of people. you talk to the judge while the dog waits quietly by your side, then they ask you for a sit or a down and the crowd is asked to close in a bit around the dog. it's not super tight, they don't touch the dog, but it's something to practice just so your dog knows it's not an alarming situation.

honestly, i was a nervous wreck about doing this because i've never competed in anything before, but i think for you it should be cake!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 12th, 2008, 9:06 pm

I'm glad you told me about the crowd test...definitely something I would need to work on with Cy - we know he feels about crowds :wink: Nisha is fine with that stuff (luckily)...I was just more afraid of failing b/c they've been trained to come to front, etc...

Even with Cy's dog aggression, as long as he is in obedience mode, there won't be an issue...

Does the judge still have to touch the dog to check the tattoo/chip?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 12th, 2008, 9:21 pm

no, even that's pretty easy! if your dog is chipped, they wave the chip reader over the dog while you hold his/her head. but no contact from strangers.

and if the dog has a tattoo, you show the judge by folding the ear back and the judge just looks, or if the tattoo is on the belly, you can hold the dog up and show it or have the dog roll over and show it(ha, easier said than done!). the judge will look but not touch. and i have to be honest, at the last 2 trials i've been at, the club secretary was in charge of making sure it was done so they didn't even bring the judge in on it. which made it even easier because the judge wasn't really paying attention as long as someone was going through the motions.

this is how it works with DVG, at least. USA might have a slightly different approach . . . the BH routine and rules are pretty much the same, but the judges might be stricter about things like tattoo/chip stuff. i've never been to a USA trial. i do know that USA, unlike DVG, requires that a handler who has never done a BH before take a written test--when i heard that, i knew i made the right decision going with DVG! :mrgreen:
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 12th, 2008, 9:27 pm

The written test is posted the week of the trial...they post one per week, and that's the one you take...I've taken it, it's simple...

I'm a member of DVG, but can't get a scorebook b/c I don't have a training director! ARGH

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 12th, 2008, 11:14 pm

oh, that's annoying!

you can still trial in a DVG trial with a USA scorebook, but I think you have to get it stamped first or something . . . there's some odd rule or other about that. i know that the alexandria trial we did the BH in had a handful of USA people trialing.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 13th, 2008, 5:34 am

babyreba wrote:oh, that's annoying!

you can still trial in a DVG trial with a USA scorebook, but I think you have to get it stamped first or something . . . there's some odd rule or other about that. i know that the alexandria trial we did the BH in had a handful of USA people trialing.

Do you know how I would get it stamped?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 13th, 2008, 11:34 am

Looks like I had it backward--it's DVG that requires you to get your scorebook stamped if you trial USA. USA, it seems, does not require that.

I guess how it works is that if you're a USA member, you can enter any performance event put on by DVG and it will be recognized. But any event that's put on to prove breed worthiness (conformation, for example) needs to be done under a USA. WUSV, or FCI -approved judge.

So confusing!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 13th, 2008, 3:07 pm

So, I can go ahead and show with my USA scorebook for a BH?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 13th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Yep, looks like it. DVG will recognize all of the major working-dog organizations: USA, AWDF, ATTIBOX, WPBTCA, GSDCA scorebooks.

You might want to call USA to see if you need to fill out any paperwork or anything ahead of time, to get your score certified, but it doesn't sound like you have to do that . . .
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 13th, 2008, 7:40 pm

YAY! Thank you for the info...I really appreciate it!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » May 13th, 2008, 9:48 pm

now you just need to let me know when you're gonna trial so i can go and watch! and maybe get rob to take pictures, too!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » May 13th, 2008, 10:03 pm

babyreba wrote:now you just need to let me know when you're gonna trial so i can go and watch! and maybe get rob to take pictures, too!

There's several USA trials that I've been looking at...I'm also going to take a look at the DVG schedule...

And, wow, you mean there might be great pics of me for once (i'm always the one behind the camera) :wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Sports