My pup

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Verderben » March 27th, 2006, 2:41 pm

I took my pup to the vet today and they said she has a slight Heart murmur. The vet says it COULD clear up on it's own but we will have to wait and see. I hope it goes away so she doesn't have to have surgery :(
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Are you doing any asprin (or other drug) therapy with her?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Verderben » March 27th, 2006, 3:07 pm

No the vet said that we are going to monitor her for now while she recieves her shots and if it doesnt clear up we will go from there.
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 27th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Have you contacted her breeder? Do you have a health guarantee on her?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Verderben » March 27th, 2006, 3:51 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Have you contacted her breeder? Do you have a health guarantee on her?

Yes but I dont want to return her.
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm

thats what happens, people get too attached, and the breeders know they got away with it. here in NJ you can actually sue the breeder for the vet bills and what you paid for the dog and still keep the dog. one of my clients is doing that now, he got a golden from a byb up here and at 4 months i told him the dog had hip displasia.. turns out the dog has severe HD, i gave him the website for the nj lemon law here for puppies that come from breeders and pet stores, and he gave all the info and is getting back the price of the dog plus every vet bill he has spent and he will be getting money for the future as well from the breeder...

i would look into this in your state, see if they have a lemon law on puppies that come from stores/breeders, and see what your rights are.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pocketpit » March 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I'd advise that you have her seen again by someone different. A "slight" heart murmur can sometimes be imagined. Puppies can outgrow murmurs so if your second opinion vet says the same thing as the first, there is still a chance that it won't cause an issue.
If you know the breeder then obviously the breeder needs to be kept informed and they would probably appreciate a second opinion as well.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm

I don't blame you, but your breeder should be picking up the tab on her vet care for this. And spay/neuter the parents.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Karen » March 27th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Maryellen wrote:thats what happens, people get too attached, and the breeders know they got away with it. here in NJ you can actually sue the breeder for the vet bills and what you paid for the dog and still keep the dog. one of my clients is doing that now, he got a golden from a byb up here and at 4 months i told him the dog had hip displasia.. turns out the dog has severe HD, i gave him the website for the nj lemon law here for puppies that come from breeders and pet stores, and he gave all the info and is getting back the price of the dog plus every vet bill he has spent and he will be getting money for the future as well from the breeder...

i would look into this in your state, see if they have a lemon law on puppies that come from stores/breeders, and see what your rights are.

Not everyone Maryellen. Some will replace the pup or refund the money and they keep the pup most will let them keep the pup on top of replacing as well. The ethical ones anyway
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 4:01 pm

i wasnt saying everyone, i was saying that when things are found wrong the owners are usually so attached that they dont want to give the dog back, and yes, some breeders will make do, some wont.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Verderben » March 27th, 2006, 5:58 pm

Maryellen wrote:thats what happens, people get too attached, and the breeders know they got away with it. here in NJ you can actually sue the breeder for the vet bills and what you paid for the dog and still keep the dog. one of my clients is doing that now, he got a golden from a byb up here and at 4 months i told him the dog had hip displasia.. turns out the dog has severe HD, i gave him the website for the nj lemon law here for puppies that come from breeders and pet stores, and he gave all the info and is getting back the price of the dog plus every vet bill he has spent and he will be getting money for the future as well from the breeder...

I got the dog from a friend . She gave her to me free so it's not like I can get refunded. She said she would take her back and give me a different one but I don't want to do that. She is just going to be a pet and a heart murmur will not affect her ability of being a pet.
Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 27th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Actually there are also different types of murmurs many dogs have benign ones which are no cause for alarm at all. I'd monitor her and also get a cardiologist to doppler her for a real answer. I would not trust a regular vet on this matter

if you go on the University of Penn website they have some good info
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » March 27th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:Actually there are also different types of murmurs many dogs have benign ones which are no cause for alarm at all.

Exactly. My cat has had a heart murmur from day 1 and she is now 17 years old and has had no major health issues (just skin stuff).

I would definitely consult a cardiologist, though. They'll be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby WMKapbt4me » March 27th, 2006, 10:22 pm

If the murmur doesnt go away take her to OSU or your nearest cardiologist and have her dopplered they can tell you if its innocent or not it costs aprox $300 unless you can find a ofa clinic where its usually $150. I have a dog with a grade II murmur who was dopplered and found it to be functional/or innocent. I also have an 11yr old cat with heart disease who has a grade III murmur. She has high blood pressure and early renal disease.
hopefully its not serious for your pup.
WMKapbt4me
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk