To those who feed raw....

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2008, 7:50 pm

The only REAL benefit of red meat is that it contains more iron than "white" meat... it's the only thing I could find that was "scientifically proven to be true". :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby rescuedogmama » May 6th, 2008, 7:50 pm

I'm using the Oma's mixes, but am thinking of switching over to using the RMBs/muscle/organ meat combo. I am a member of a GSD board that has a LOT of great info. One of the members even posted a great spreadsheet to help you figure out how much of each category you need. I'd rather not just throw half a chicken at my pups. One because I'm kinda grossed out, and two because I'm so fussy about organizing and want to be fairly precise.

Oh, and thanks for posting about the Oma's organ mix. I totally forgot. I was panicking about having to cut up liver! :oops:
rescuedogmama
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2008, 7:51 pm

cheekymunkee wrote: I know you have not been feeding it very long, I will follow the advice of experienced people.....

This is true no doubt. Are you on the Yahoo Rawfeeding list? I posed this same question, why can't my dog eat poultry all the time (cause it's so freakin' cheap and easy to throw Sirius a whole chicken and call it a day, I'd love to do that) and they were actually the ones who set me on this track. People who have been feeding raw for decades were telling me left and right, "No, no, you can't just feed poultry!!" So I started researching that direction, and that was the conclusion I came to.

You know what though? My favorite part of this diet is that it works all ways. Feed BARF, feed whole prey, feed poultry, deer, bison, pork, beef, etc.... whatever you want, and no matter how you slice it it's still better quality and more forgiving than kibble. :mrgreen:

I wasn't trying to create friction with this thread at all, I just wanted to know what people out there are doing since I only know one other person IRL who feeds raw.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby DemoDick » May 6th, 2008, 7:55 pm

amazincc wrote:The only REAL benefit of red meat is that it contains more iron than "white" meat... it's the only thing I could find that was "scientifically proven to be true". :)

I was just thinking about this and there are actually two things that differentiate red meat from poultry...iron and creatine.

It tastes better to me too.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Rescuedogmama - cut up kidneys, hearts and livers while they're frozen! :D

BullyLady - no friction was created. I was just wondering if you had heard/read/discovered something about red meat that the rest of us wasn't aware of. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » May 6th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Yeah, I was a member of the Yahoo list, they are a bit too radical for me. They believe their way is the ONLY way, people are bashed for even feeding kelp ( or last time I was there they were) NO supplements of ANY kind, not even yogurt. It may have changed, it has been years since I visited it.

No friction was created, I just would rather see proof if a claim is made. Sorry if you thought I was picking on you.

Wolves, coyotes, wild dogs eat what they can catch or find. They arent going to pass up a flock of geese to chase down a cow. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2008, 9:34 pm

I don't cut up liver, I puree it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm! :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2008, 9:53 pm

My dogs only get a little bit of red meat, because they are already too "hot" and red meat is very warming.

But to understand what the fluck I am talking about, you'd need to know about chinese medicine.

It makes total sense, though. Trey is OOOBERLY DOOBERLY "hot" and he does not do well with red meat at all.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm

I think the main thing is variety. You aren't going to have a dog with a balanced diet who only eats leg quarters and maybe some liver every single day. Would it be balanced for YOU if you just ate a chicken breast and a piece of broccoli for every meal? Yeah, those are healthy foods, but is that really a balanced diet?

Just mix things up a little bit. The only beef my dogs really get are in their barf patties, but that is really enough for them. I also give them all parts of the chicken, turkey, and occasionally they get pork or fish. Same with veggies and organ meat. Variety is the key.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Previous

Return to Raw Feeding