To those who feed raw....

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2008, 12:17 am

Do you feed BARF or whole prey model? Or something else?

Just curious!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby gayrghts » May 6th, 2008, 12:23 am

I do a combo.... with an occasional kibble meal mixed in....

I tend to mainly feed chicken... due to cost....

and usually the prey style.... ie 2 or 3 chicken backs for the big 2 dogs,
and 1/2 a back for triscuit....

a day.... with frozen chicken necks for their am treat in the crate on my way to work.

I started out using Oma's blend's of veggies, bone and meat....

then moved on to just meat....

I've recently purchased a bunch of ground beef.... hamburger and ground beef heart that i'll be making into patties...

I also give them marrow bones...

sometimes i add in yogurt, or cottage or ricotta cheese, and veggies frozen or raw.... sometimes a bit of olive oil....
sometimes a raw egg or 2, with the shells....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2008, 12:32 am

You don't feed organ meat?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby gayrghts » May 6th, 2008, 1:27 am

I'm dabbling with organ meat....

Did chicken livers a week ago, that didn't go over well, not sure if it was the chicken liver, or the garlic or the carrot.....

I bought a bunch of ground beef heart so i'll be working on feeding them that as well.....

but, no, i don't obsess about what i feed them, ie try to get the right % of organ meat, vs fish, vs suppliments.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2008, 1:58 am

I actually didn't start this thread for that reason, but.....

If you're mainly feeding chicken (dogs need mainly red meat) AND you aren't feeding organs on a consistant basis, you are going to have health issues. Your money would be better spent to stop the supplements altogether and feed the raw diet correctly. JMO.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2008, 3:53 am

I usually get a huge amount of different meats once a month and divide it into 30 baggies or so... on the average, Mick gets this daily - piece of chicken or turkey, some hamburger, some stew meat, some chicken gizzards, piece of kidney/heart/liver (beef), marrow bone or beef neck bone.
I add canned fish, yogurt, eggs, veggies, cottage cheese and fruit (sparingly) on alternate days.
I occasionally feed chicken necks/backs, pigs feet and tripe.
Daily supplements are fish oil and 1/4 teaspoon of mixed supplements Cinderdee sent me. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2008, 7:16 am

Heather: Whole prey model is actually throwing an entire animal at your dog: though not all include the fur and/or skin, it does include all of the innards and such.

I feed RMBS for breakfast (usually chicken quarters though I will throw in pork hocks or ribs on occassion) and a "mush" for dinner. I prefer my mush to be homemade, but working 7 days a week does not allow me that luxury, so I instead feed Bravo with a few supplements.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2008, 9:01 am

gayrghts wrote:I'm dabbling with organ meat....

Did chicken livers a week ago, that didn't go over well, not sure if it was the chicken liver, or the garlic or the carrot.....

I bought a bunch of ground beef heart so i'll be working on feeding them that as well.....

but, no, i don't obsess about what i feed them, ie try to get the right % of organ meat, vs fish, vs suppliments.

Heart actually counts as muscle, not organ meat. (same goes with gizzards)

Your dogs really need to have a variety of organ meat. They are vital to a balanced diet.

Omega 3s (Salmon oil for example) are also very important...

Like Sis said, whole prey model is just that...
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby maberi » May 6th, 2008, 9:07 am

Since we are on the topic of organ meat, one of my crew (Karma) is really picky with organ meat so I have been cooking hers a bit so she will eat it. Obviously I'd rather go completely raw but this is the only way I have found I can get her to eat it
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Magnolia618 » May 6th, 2008, 9:09 am

Better than nothing! I would try to slowly reduce cook time and see what happens.

I'm lucky enough to be able to get frozen veggie and organ meat purees. YUM.

Magnolia618
I live here

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2008, 11:28 am

I feed RMB's in the morning, chicken backs or leg quarters and barf burgers for their evening meal. As far as organ meat, I mix pureed organ meat (beef liver or kidneys) right into my barf patties. Yum MAY! :puke:

lol

Oh and I add salmon oil, dried kelp, and sealmeal supplement.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Scout » May 6th, 2008, 12:17 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Heather: Whole prey model is actually throwing an entire animal at your dog: though not all include the fur and/or skin, it does include all of the innards and such.

I feed RMBS for breakfast (usually chicken quarters though I will throw in pork hocks or ribs on occassion) and a "mush" for dinner. I prefer my mush to be homemade, but working 7 days a week does not allow me that luxury, so I instead feed Bravo with a few supplements.

Sis...I feed the dogs Bravo patties as well...can I ask you what supplements you add to their patties?
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby LaylaWoobie » May 6th, 2008, 12:46 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Heather: Whole prey model is actually throwing an entire animal at your dog: though not all include the fur and/or skin, it does include all of the innards and such.

We do generally the same thing. Half a chicken quarter in the AM (or a portion of a chicken back or turkey neck when they arrive), and a "home made" mush in the PM - ground beef barf patties with eggs, pureed veggies, pureed organs, and whatever else. We do all of our supplements at night. Layla is like Karma and will only eat organ meat if it is cooked or pureed, so I have to put it in her barf burgers. We also sub fish in for the beef about once a week or so.

Her supplements are nupro joint, kelp, acidophilus, Vitamin E, ultimate omega complex, apple cider vinegar, and missing link
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 6th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Dogs dont necissarly NEED red meat, just protein. I know many dogs who have lived their entire lives on poultry & have done just fine. I feed kinda sorta prey model. I dont feed veggies. I do feed kelp, fish oil, cottage cheese, yogurt & eggs. I also feed organ meat....kidney & liver.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby gayrghts » May 6th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Thanks Debby, I know that dogs do fine on poultry....

I thought the prey diet was when they got the meat and bones attached...

as opposed to mush or pattie style.

Why do you all feed kelp....

what's in kelp that would not be in other veggies?
Heather

- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2008, 7:04 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Dogs dont necissarly NEED red meat, just protein. I know many dogs who have lived their entire lives on poultry & have done just fine.

Do you need me to say it? :lol: Some dogs eat Ol'Roy and live to be twenty...... :wink:
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2008, 7:05 pm

I'm interested in an explanation... why is RED meat so vital? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » May 6th, 2008, 7:17 pm

amazincc wrote:I'm interested in an explanation... why is RED meat so vital? :wink:

I'm going to be straight with you and tell you that I do not know the mechanics of why red meats are important.

What I will tell you is that part of the reason that I feed a raw diet is to be more biologically appropriate (in addition to the fact that it was the only thing that would put weight on my dane, and that I'm rather scared of kibble after all the recalls and now all the new ones). That is why I choose the whole prey model rather than BARF, because I have done hours and hours of research, I'm anal like that when it comes to new things for my babies, and I didn't find any significant mention of canines eating/needing veggies. And we aren't talking just internet research here, we're talking Uni library, interviewing vet students, using our local vet schools' library... etc... Another thing I came across in my reserach, and is primarily what I base my "menu" off of is the diet of wolves. Even in areas where poultries are a readily available food source you just do not see wolves eating poultry on any kind of regular basis. I even read about a breed of African wolf who had some kind of fowl (can't remember what) readily available and instead ate a diet that consisted of 90% RATS! My dogs can't tell me what they need, but to me seeing what wild wolves, who do have a choice of what they eat, are choosing to eat as a species tells me that there is something about red meat that they need/want/crave, and therefore I think it's an important aspect of the diet.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby DemoDick » May 6th, 2008, 7:31 pm

...Even in areas where poultries are a readily available food source you just do not see wolves eating poultry on any kind of regular basis. I even read about a breed of African wolf who had some kind of fowl (can't remember what) readily available and instead ate a diet that consisted of 90% RATS!

Wild animals what is easiest, not necessarily what is nutritionally optimal. Catching and killing birds who fly away at the smallest hint of danger is hard work, whereas I would guess that catching a rodent that tunnels as a primary defense mechanism is easier.

...But to me seeing what wild wolves, who do have a choice of what they eat, are choosing to eat as a species tells me that there is something about red meat that they need/want/crave, and therefore I think it's an important aspect of the diet.

Survival is brutal, and nature is very, very cruel. All animals follow the path of least resistance when seeking food. They don't look for good nutrition, they look for what they can eat NOW. I'm sure the bears feeding at garbage dumps in NJ would back me up on this.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby cheekymunkee » May 6th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Ever see a wolf in a hen house? I have!

Unless you can offer me proof of your claim I ain't buying it. WIth the literally thousands of hours I have spent studying this diet ( before and during...I studied it for 2 years prior to feeding it) I have never once heard any one else make that claim. I know you have not been feeding it very long, I will follow the advice of experienced people.....who feed poultry. Hell, rabbit is white meat, as is veal & I dont know what rat would be considered as.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Raw Feeding