Please Keep Ozzy in Your thoughts!!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby AllAmericanPUP » May 3rd, 2008, 11:39 pm

Not good news for Ozzy :(
Nobody told me until today but Ozzy has been acting funny about his back legs.
They said he had been whinning sometimes but acting fine otherwise and that he was kinda running funny.
So i went outside and threw the ball for him to see if i could see what was going on. the first two times he acted normal and happy but the third time he ran for the ball he just collapsed and screamed with pain and could not get back up.
I called a local vet that does emergencies but she was useless ( i hate these people! i use to work for them and i swear they could care less about animals!) Luckily my sisters fiance knew of a 24 emergency clinic in Springfield so i called them and they said to bring him right up.
They took a couple X Rays and from what i understand they found build up in his spine but they cant tell if its Disc material or Boney build up from arthritis.
If it's disc material he will most likely get better but she said something about surgery.
If it's Boney build up then she said he most likely wont get better and wont walk again
They gave him a steroid shot for today and tomorrow i start him on Prednisone.
He's also on complete bed rest and i have to carry him as much as possible and wrap a towel around his waist to help him walk.
I went to petsmart and got him an XL plastic airline crate and an orthopedic bed to hopefully help keep him comfortable but i might get a play pen instead..i'm not sure yet.
I'm taking him up north with me when i leave tomorrow so that i know he will get the proper care that he needs and on Monday i'll be taking his X Rays and write up to my vet up there for more consultation.

Here is his write up for anyone who can decifier it...maybe help me better understand what is going on....

Paralyzed: Presented ot AEC at 7 pm Sat. Was playing in backyard & collapsed in back legs.
Hx of prior to 2-3 days, walking funny.
PE: mm pk/moist, mentally alert & responsive. Femoral pulses palpated. Normal bilateral + anal tone, able to move tail some, neg superficial pain, both rear legs & no response or deep pain pinch.
Rec rads hip/spine. Rads # 2717 - lumbosacral inscreaed opacity w/in joint space. Adv increased opacity could be disc material or boney build up from arthritis. Discussed sx option - O declined at this time.

We didnt actually discuss any surgery option. Basically she just said that it may be needed if it is disc material and told me it would cost me a couple grand and assumed that because i am young i would not be able to come up with the money but if surgery is an option for him i will do my very best to get the money for it!

If anyone has suggestions on how to make Ozzy more comfortable and make this easier for me and him please let me know!!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby madremissy » May 3rd, 2008, 11:53 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » May 4th, 2008, 12:52 am

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear this! Let's just keep positive thoughts that it is the lesser of two problems....Give him a big hug from his friends at PBT.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am

Femoral pulses palpated = she could feel the pulse of the femoral artery and the paralysis is not due to a thrombolytic blood clot
anal tone and tail movement indicate that messages from the brain are still making it to the tail and the anus, often if the spine is broken or compromised the pet will have no anal tone. There can also be other things this indicates but I'm not clear on them
The references to different kinds of pain refer to neurological issues, I'm afraid not feeling pain is not good. Most likely - with my limited medical knowledge as I understand it- he has no sensation because the spinal issues are causing pressure on the nerves, so the messages they need to send are not complete or not making it.
opacity means that the spot she was referring to will be light colored on the xray, or hader for the radiation that helps make the xray to pass through. So the area appears more dense then the other joint spaces.
I know some of this is general knowledge and a little vague, I do apologize. Hopefully that was helpful :|
I am sorry about Ozzy.
I think a crate would be best to rest him in, a pen would provide too much opportunity to be mobile.... You will also want to make sure that he is urinating and that, because of the steroids, he has access to unlimited fresh water at all times and frequnt potty breaks :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » May 4th, 2008, 6:10 am

Good advise! You may want to cover his orthopedic bed with a garbage bag and then place a blanket or cover over the top of it. Many spinal patients (if they are able to urinate on their own) dribble urine or will urinate on themselves (obviously since they can't walk) and it will help keep the bed from being ruined.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 4th, 2008, 8:14 am

Poor Ozzy. :( I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you guys!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » May 4th, 2008, 8:40 am

My thoughts are w/you and Ozzy. :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » May 4th, 2008, 9:33 am

Fingers and paws crossed for you and Ozzy
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » May 4th, 2008, 12:45 pm

:goodthoughts:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » May 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Oh NO!!! Good thoughts coming to Ozzy & you! He's a young dog isn't he?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby AllAmericanPUP » May 4th, 2008, 1:51 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Oh NO!!! Good thoughts coming to Ozzy & you! He's a young dog isn't he?

yea he's fairly young, he'll only be 5 next month
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby KJS » May 4th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Good thoughts and best wishes from far,far away! :wave2:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Scout » May 5th, 2008, 7:36 pm

oh poor Ozzy!! I'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed here!! Sending good thoughts!!
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby CinderDee » May 6th, 2008, 2:08 pm

I'm so sorry, Tracy. How is he doing?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members