Non-eating chow hound

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby airwalk » May 3rd, 2008, 4:35 pm

Question..Charlie my 16 year old lab, who is normally a serious chow hound (as in if it doesn't eat him first type) has been a bit off feed lately. Which with him always worries me.

The vet is running tests but thinks he may have an underactive thyroid which might help account for why I can't seem to take any weight off the old codger...but would that also affect his appetite?

Of course, he's always up for cookies and the last couple of nights I've been making him wait til later in the evening and he seems to be eating better.

He's not exhibiting any signs of not feeling well - still very active, good poop, barking at everything, following me everywhere - but also starting to exhibit signs of possible doggie dementia...could that affect eating?
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 3rd, 2008, 5:40 pm

Both an underactive thyroid and doggie dementia can affect a dog's appetite.

Has he had any senior bloodwork done lately?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » May 3rd, 2008, 6:05 pm

We just had blood pulled about 3 weeks ago and everything came back good. They are doing a urinalysis now and hoping that will give us the final about the thyroid and we'll see if med's get everything back on track.

Never thought I'd complain the old fart isn't eating.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » May 3rd, 2008, 6:13 pm

No dog experience with that here but I have human experience with thyroid. Underactive makes you feel like crap and you don't want to do anything. Over active makes you a basket case. I am thinking about you though and I hope Charlie feels better soon. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » May 3rd, 2008, 7:19 pm

I know the hyper thyroid cats we see often have a crazy appetite, so yes I'd think the thyroid would affect it, I think it sort of controls "metabolism".
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members