Levels of Dog Aggression

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 9:14 pm

This was brought up on another site. What is the acceptable levels of dog aggression in the breed for rescue workers to deal with?

me personally, if a pit is showing such dog aggression that the dog is trying to break out of windows,cars, doors to get at another dog that it sees either in the yard, street, or anywhere, that the dog is not to be adopted out. even if no matter what you do the dog wont stop to get at the other dog it sees. many of the JQ public cant handle a normal dog, let alone an over the top psycho dog aggressive pit bull. i look at adoptability .. if the dog tries to break out of a window in a house or car, that is too much of a liability, and takes up a foster home for a pit that is in a shelter that has 0-normal dog aggression.

thoughts? opinions?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » March 25th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Yeah...I'd like to see the responses here too...my original post in it's entirety from the gamedog forum.

Something I've been pondering...

We all know dog aggression is to be expected in this breed, whether it is shown in certain circumstances or not...it's just a given. My question is this...for those who breed their dogs or place rescue dogs, where do you draw the line? What level of dog aggression is acceptable and what level makes a dog unadoptable/unsafe? A dog who will only fight same sex dogs? A dog who fires up at the sight of any other dog? A dog who doesn't start fights, but is very reactive if provoked?

(Of course I'm not saying "unsafe" referring to people, but rather to whether or not that dog could thrive in a normal household and/or neighborhood (that would invariably include other dogs, cats, etc.), of course assuming he has responsible owners.)
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 26th, 2006, 9:59 am

Dog aggression is just a part of the breed. The breed is not for everyone for that among other reasons IMO. I also find that a great very drivey dog is not for everyone as well.

Rescuers have their work cut out for them especially with so many dogs and so few good homes. I totally understand but not placing an APBT because he/she is drivey or aggressive towards other animals is just not fair IMO as that is part of the breed. I do understand the concern and liability end of it.

Thus, uncontrolled aggression or what a trainer perceives as uncontrollable or aggression that is not manageable aggression would be the cut off point in my eyes. It would also depend on the type of home and experience the new owners had with dealing with the breed if any specific dog could be placed with them.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 10:41 am

i am talking about the uncontrollable, blinded must eat that dog and i dont care if my owner shoots me i will get that dog and not listen and get that dog and get that dog type of dog.. the ones that no matter what you do or say or physically do they wont settle down.. its hard enough finding dog savvy people , try finding one that can contain an idiot dog that has off the wall dog aggression.. its too risky, and alot of the game people dont want a dog like that cause they are already speutered, and no way would a rescue adopt one to them.. i have to look at the adoptability to the JQ public ... drivey is one thing, but off the wall smashing thru windows because a dog is walking across the street is unadoptable in my eyes
Maryellen
I live here

Postby aurora » March 27th, 2006, 10:30 am

This is something I can't make a decision on. Of course it's hard to find people who can handle that so I understand why shelters and rescues choose not to adopt dogs like that out. And as much as I hate to say it, in the wrong hands, very dog aggressive dogs are dangerous. On the other hand, it seems hypocritical to me to say that dog aggression is acceptable within this breed and then choose to not adopt out dogs who display the trait.

When it comes down to it though, I'm regularly on the side of euthanasia when it comes to dogs with that level of dog aggression.
aurora
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » March 27th, 2006, 10:43 am

Here is a link for rescuers, to add to this discussion. Obviously you must always check the laws in your own state, but something to ponder:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/buying.html
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 11:02 am

In my opinion, the crazy insane ones should be put down. Homes willing to take on the responsibility of a dog like that are few and far between. How long should it sit in a shelter run waiting for a home?

Most foster homes have more than one dog and adding in a dog like that to the home - where a mistake could spell death for one or both dogs - isn't what they want to take on. Besides, if it takes a long time to find a home for the dog you are down a foster spot due to a dog you knew was going to take a long time to place.

Yes, dog aggression is part of the breed. However, in my opinion, if the dog is above a 6 on the 'scale' (1 being not dog aggressive, 10 being kill every dog I see no matter what) then the chances of adoption are pretty low and it should probably be put down instead of sitting in a shelter for an extended period.

To me, it's just unrealistic. With so many good, healthy, low to moderately aggressive Pit Bulls out there, using resources on an almost un-adoptable dog is a waste.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 27th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Maryellen wrote:i am talking about the uncontrollable, blinded must eat that dog and i dont care if my owner shoots me i will get that dog and not listen and get that dog and get that dog type of dog.. the ones that no matter what you do or say or physically do they wont settle down.. its hard enough finding dog savvy people , try finding one that can contain an idiot dog that has off the wall dog aggression.. its too risky, and alot of the game people dont want a dog like that cause they are already speutered, and no way would a rescue adopt one to them.. i have to look at the adoptability to the JQ public ... drivey is one thing, but off the wall smashing thru windows because a dog is walking across the street is unadoptable in my eyes
Unfortunately that is where I'd have to draw the line unless the adopter was a trainer or had TONS of experience with the breed and was prepared to do the work it took. I'd love to say all of them can be adopted, but in all reality there aren't enough good handlers to take them

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pittie_1 » March 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm

my female rescue, I dont trust her for nothing. she has the real sneaky look. When she sees my daughter she curls one side of her lip up. I cant place her. She has been with me for two yrs now. When It seemed like adoption was now out, I thought she would just stay at my home. But she is becoming more aggressive towards the other dogs, and still my daughter who has never done anything out of the way to her. my daughter is 17. my sons retriever who I have been watching while he is in the navy , he sees mya coming and he closes his eyes and turns his head. she walks by and give him a bite on the face and smacks him with her paw. she's awful. she used to be cute as can be. but to see her now....she looks at you and turns her head real slow so she can see out the side...... its like having the exorcist in the house!!
pittie_1
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 27th, 2006, 8:11 pm

pittie_1 wrote:my female rescue, I dont trust her for nothing. she has the real sneaky look. When she sees my daughter she curls one side of her lip up. I cant place her. She has been with me for two yrs now. When It seemed like adoption was now out, I thought she would just stay at my home. But she is becoming more aggressive towards the other dogs, and still my daughter who has never done anything out of the way to her. my daughter is 17. my sons retriever who I have been watching while he is in the navy , he sees mya coming and he closes his eyes and turns his head. she walks by and give him a bite on the face and smacks him with her paw. she's awful. she used to be cute as can be. but to see her now....she looks at you and turns her head real slow so she can see out the side...... its like having the exorcist in the house!!

Human aggression is a whole other issue. It should not be tolerated with this breed IMO

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 8:26 pm

if any of my dogs raised their lip at my stepdaughter they would be at the vets office immediately to be killed.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pittie_1 » March 27th, 2006, 9:13 pm

I am in the process of making her appointment. My vet knows I dont do this lightly. I cry when i go to his office with the dogs. So by now he knows how to prepare the room. Mya is a cute girl, but under no circumstances can I allow her to do this. I have a 10 mos old grandson. I would never put him in harms way. I know what I have to do. It doesnt make it any easier, I know mya will be fine....Ive talked to ilvbullies about this for some time now. I have tried several things to help mya. None are working.
She was a rescue brought to me , not spayed, no vet record, but a promise of one. darn i wonder what rescue that was!! :|
pittie_1
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 27th, 2006, 9:20 pm

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Pit Bull Talk