How do I find a local trainer?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 6:28 pm

So next week is Inara's last week of puppy school at Petsmart (yes, I know some of you think Petsmart is demon spawn but they worked for us!). They offer intermediate and advanced classes, however, I was thinking about finding a regular, non pet-store-affiliated trainer. How do I go about doing that??? I'm just so nervous I would pick a bad trainer. And I'm hoping they may be a little cheaper than Petsmart - they were $100 for 8 weeks. Any thoughts on how to find a good trainer who knows pit bulls? Thanks!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Forgot to mention that I'm interested in getting her involved in PP, so if there's a way to find a good PP trainer in my area, that would be even better. *grin*
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Purple » March 26th, 2006, 6:42 pm

We do use a trainer, one on one, he comes to the house once a week. He is $45 an hour.
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Ouch. I'm sure it's great though.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Purple » March 26th, 2006, 6:48 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Ouch. I'm sure it's great though.

It is great! The one on one attention is what Dexter needed. Dexter is in love with Jeff, out trainer. Lucky for us, Jeff has become a great friend, and doesn't charge us anymore!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 6:50 pm

PP?

Pure Positive or Personal Protection?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Petsmart is probably going to be significantly cheaper than any other trainer in your area.

I would ask at your vet's office who they suggest, and then call up other vets offices in the area for recommendations. Or ask people who live in your area with well trained dogs :) Sometimes local rescues can help also.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Good deal! This is off-topic, but even though that avatar is really cute, I REALLY miss your old one!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Purple » March 26th, 2006, 6:55 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Good deal! This is off-topic, but even though that avatar is really cute, I REALLY miss your old one!

<<<<<<<-----there ya go, all better!
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 7:00 pm

That picture just makes me laugh. Love it.
When I said PP I was meaning personal protection (thanks Chris for piquing my interest in it!).
I would ask other people who have dogs who trained them, but nobody else has a dog. Sadly 99% of my friends are anti-pet. :| Nobody's perfect I guess. I find it sad and crazy, but hey, to each their own! I will ask the vet...I live in a very small town so I can envision her getting an extremely blank look on her face. I do live within 30 minutes of a nice big city (Cleveland) so I should be able to find a good trainer there. Just not sure how!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Purple » March 26th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Try doing a search on the net, too. That's how I found Hopscotch's agility trainer!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Hey Chris - know anyone in Cleveland?

We should plan a long weekend, have you come up from Ohio, Chris come down from Maine and we can train at the warehouse! I know a few other people who might want to come as well...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 7:49 pm

That would be very cool.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 9:13 pm

So I'm looking online for trainers, found one who seemed really great. But as I read further into his testimonials, the 2nd one said: "After our first real session with the e-collar I was able to immediately control or eliminate approximately 90% of Gabi’s negative behaviors." This doesn't seem right to me. E-collars are bad, right? They just seem cruel. Please correct me if this is otherwise!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 10:04 pm

uh oh... time for the e-collar debate...

I'll start another thread. :wink:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Sorry! *sheepish grin*
pitbullmamaliz

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Sorry! *sheepish grin*

no need to be sorry!!!

It was bound to come up at some time and now is as good a time as anyway.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 27th, 2006, 8:58 am

We do use a trainer, one on one, he comes to the house once a week. He is $45 an hour.

Damn, I am not charging enough!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 27th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Okay, I spoke with a potential trainer today. I liked him. He works for Bark Busters, http://www.barkbusters.com/ . They do in-home training. It costs $475 and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Any time Inara needs more work on something, they come back out. And the guarantee goes with the pup, so if by some chance she has to find a new home (I laughed at him for that one - can't imagine ever giving her up!) her new owners would be able to get free training. They teach you to be the leader of the pack by body language and voice. He said no e-collars or prongs, occasionally a choker while working on leash, though he said if I was against they'll work around it. Here's the link to the trainer who would work with Inara - http://barkbusters.com/Module/Article/A ... category=9 . He said generally in one to two sessions the owner is capable of training the dog on their own. He said the first session is 2-3 hours, and any follow-ups are about 30 minutes. He emphasized that he would not come to train Inara, he would come to train me. He actually walked out of a woman's home because after meeting with him she said she didn't have time to do what he was requesting (15 minutes of practice a day). He actually owns a pit-mix and was raving about what loving dogs they are but how they need firm leadership.
I don't know, I kinda liked him. Just from the descriptions, and the websites, what do you more experienced people think? Thanks, and sorry for the long post! This just seems like such a potentially life-changing decision!
pitbullmamaliz

Return to Training & Behavior