Crating

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Where do you crate your dog? Do you have more than one crate for each dog?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2006, 11:14 pm

God bless crates. We keep Inara crated whenever we can't supervise her (at night, at work, in the shower, etc.). Her crate is in the living room, and we keep it open when we're home so she can run in and out, play in it, etc. We feed all of her meals in there. Don't know what we'd do without it!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » March 26th, 2006, 11:14 pm

I crate my dogs in the kitchen but had started them in the livingroom until they had diarrhea all over the crate, floors and walls. I have tried to crate Cookie and Knuckles separately and they wanted no part of it and just cried and whined all night. I know there will be people that don't agree with keeping them together but Knuckles has been with her since he has been 4 weeks.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » March 26th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Crates. Crates. Crates. My whole house is over run with crates. There's four in my livingroom, three in the kitchen, one in my bedroom big enough to fit three dogs and nine in the dog room. :o
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 11:26 pm

I used to have one set up in the livingroom and one in my bedroom for fosters (Wally is bellybanded, not crated). The livingroom one had to be brought down to the kennel for a busy week last month and has not come back up and I am LOVING not having that hulking thing in my livingroom.

When I switch the room that my office is in I may put one in my office, but I think it's fine in my bedroom at the top of the stairs for now.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 11:27 pm

luvmyangels wrote:I crate my dogs in the kitchen but had started them in the livingroom until they had diarrhea all over the crate, floors and walls. I have tried to crate Cookie and Knuckles separately and they wanted no part of it and just cried and whined all night. I know there will be people that don't agree with keeping them together but Knuckles has been with her since he has been 4 weeks.

you mean two dogs in the same crate?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 26th, 2006, 11:32 pm

mnp13 wrote:
luvmyangels wrote:I crate my dogs in the kitchen but had started them in the livingroom until they had diarrhea all over the crate, floors and walls. I have tried to crate Cookie and Knuckles separately and they wanted no part of it and just cried and whined all night. I know there will be people that don't agree with keeping them together but Knuckles has been with her since he has been 4 weeks.

you mean two dogs in the same crate?

AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! :eek1: Whining & crying all night is much easier to deal with than coming home to a dead dog. The whining & crying will stop. Ignore it, they will stop. Do you seperate them when you are not there?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » March 26th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Oh...sorry! I forgot the question. My dogs do not have crates, they have rooms. I have a 3 bedroom home & 3 dogs, one dog per bedroom, or two in bedrooms & one loose in the house.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » March 26th, 2006, 11:58 pm

well, my house is only one small room (bachelor suite) so Oscar's crate is in it. When I lived in a real house, his crate was in the living room in one and in the bedroom in another. If you can I think its nice to have their crates in an active area of the house. That way, if you have a well-behaved non-whiner you can crate him if he's rowdy with company and still have him share some of the experience etc...
My dog has benifited LOADS from being kenneled( the kennel is about the size of his home crate, he does not like the Runs, or I'd have him in one of those) at work and watching all the other dogs walk by and all the staff and people mill about.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 27th, 2006, 8:56 am

I have Tallulah in my room, and Tess is in the hall in an alcove right around the corner from my room. They also each have a small travel crate in my car (I love Subaru Outbacks!) Jack is never kenneled unless he is at a show.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Asta » March 27th, 2006, 9:01 am

I have never crated Guinness, and nor does my parents. She has the run of their house just as much as she did in Toronto. Never had any problems with her in any way :) She is an easy Bully :D

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby msvette2u » March 27th, 2006, 11:45 am

We have separate crates for each dog unless traveling and then we've doubled up but that is not preferable to everyone having their own crate, even if they get along good. It's just that in the truck we have limited space for crates.
We're still trying to figure out how we're going to vacation this coming summer! :shock:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 27th, 2006, 11:56 am

Sacha and Nisha are crated during the day, both in the kitchen. They are actually okay if I crate them in separate rooms, but it's really just a preference thing.

Rusty is crated in the living room during the day (only because he'd kill my dog walker otherwise). If I am going out and don't expect the dog walker to come by, I crate my girls, but leave Rusty out.

I alternate nights in my room. One night Sacha and Nisha will sleep on the floor of my bedroom tethered (they have down feather beds....from my father...and people say I spoil them), the next night I'll have Rusty upstairs, but he sleeps on the bed with me (I don't want my girls to see him on the bed with me). I alternate that way.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Sarah » March 27th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I have many crates, but don't typically crate in the house. I have a small chain link run (6' square) in the back room of my house (used to be a back porch, but it's been enclosed. It has a concrete floor, and isn't included in the square footage of the house), which Elmo is in when I'm not home. I keep a 200 Vari-Kennel in there for him to sleep in, because that area isn't heated, and it's a bit warmer for him to have a enclosed space to sleep.

Tess is still in the ex-pen when I'm sleeping/not home, but I have another 6' kennel which I need to set up for her next to Elmo's. Tully has the run of the house, except for the upstairs, which is for the cat. (the reason Tully is loose rather than Elmo is that Elmo is a counter surfer)

I have a 400 Vari-Kennel which is currently disassembled, half of it is in the ex-pen for Tess, the other half is in Elmo's run in case he wants to stretch out more. It's not in great shape, and I may never reassemble it. I have a 24x30 wire crate which is in the bed of my truck (I have a canopy/topper/cap/whatever they call them where you live) for travel. I also have 3 more 200 Vari-kennels. When I go to shows, I like to leave my crates set up for the next day, but I still need to have crates in the truck for the drive home. So, I have barely enough crates.
Sarah
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » March 27th, 2006, 12:47 pm

I have spare vari-kennels in my truck. That way I don't have to transfer crates from house to car, and vice versa. I actually bought my car so that I could keep crates in there at all times, side by side, and still have a second row of seating.

My girls can't be trusted in the house, yet. Although, Nisha probably could be trusted. She doesn't do ANYTHING wrong in the house...but I can't let her out and not Sacha...and Sacha can't be trusted...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 1:16 pm

maryann you are asking for BIG trouble crating both dogs in one crate. let them whine and cry all they want, as one day you might come home to either one dead dog or 2.. never ever crate 2 dogs in one crate .. get a 2nd crate and put the crates next to each other. do not crate in one crate the 2 dogs.

i have a crate in my living room and one downstairs. rufus stays in the crate in the living room while we are at work. sonny and jesse have free roam. when the summer comes rufus's crate goes in the downstairs as its always cooler there.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 27th, 2006, 2:22 pm

maryann, could you crate them next to each other? Maybe that would help.

I had two i used to crate together, but they were not bull breeds. I would never crate two dogs together when one or both is a drivey breed. In my expirience, nothing will happen until you totally relax and think it will be ok, then you will get hospitalized dogs.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 27th, 2006, 2:51 pm

I figured I would get reemed out for this. My plans are to separate them but I am planning the area now because I have minimal room where they are currently to put 2 crates next to one another. I do not leave them home typically they are usually with me when I go out. It is usually at night when they sleep together which is not far off from our bedroom.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 27th, 2006, 2:54 pm

if during the night knuckles gets pissed at cookie you will have a full blown fight on your hands.. who cares where their crates are, just get them out of the one crate at night for sleeping..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Do you use a wire crate by any chance?

Some have dividers you can get so you could feasibly but them both in one crate if necessary.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Training & Behavior