chicken backs & chicken necks

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 28th, 2008, 12:06 am

LMM wrote:I just bought a case of chicken backs from Palmers and they seemed pretty meaty to me. Not AS meaty as a leg quarter though.


How many lbs were in a case? How much was it, if you don't mind me asking...
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby LMM » April 28th, 2008, 9:34 am

A case is 40 pounds and it cost me $19 something. They were roughly .49 cents a pound but they often go on sale for .39 and .29 cents a pound, so it pays to keep an eye out for those.

This is about 3 weeks worth for my 3 hounds. I can probably even stretch it out to a month.
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 28th, 2008, 10:49 am

hmm okay, that's not much different than what I paid. I got 40lbs for around $14...but if they went on sale for .29 a lb, Palmers would be cheaper.

Mine are from the co-op though, so I have to wait a few weeks...
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby LMM » April 28th, 2008, 10:51 am

Yea with the convenience of just running to Palmer's you do pay a little bit more. I'm keeping my eye out for the sale though!
User avatar
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Bitch please....

Postby mnp13 » April 28th, 2008, 11:49 am

I'm gonna smack both of you. Where are you finding chicken for .39 a pound, and most importatly why aren't you posting it in the meat deals thread?

Be careful with the necks, they are easily swallowed whole. Riggs had a turkey neck actually stuck once and I thought I was going to have to give him the heimlic to remove it. He can't have anything but the large turkey neck now unless they are frozen in "bundles." Ruby and Connor actually chew their food so can have just about anything.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 28th, 2008, 2:36 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm gonna smack both of you. Where are you finding chicken for .39 a pound, and most importatly why aren't you posting it in the meat deals thread?

Be careful with the necks, they are easily swallowed whole. Riggs had a turkey neck actually stuck once and I thought I was going to have to give him the heimlic to remove it. He can't have anything but the large turkey neck now unless they are frozen in "bundles." Ruby and Connor actually chew their food so can have just about anything.


Thanks for the heads up.

No smacking...buttface. I'll go post it.
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 3:38 pm

I found a website that had meat/bone ratios for diff body parts, said that chicken backs are 50% bone. I use them for my bone source and they work well, but chicken necks are too small for my dogs. They maintain good poos at about 25% bone, so I feed them half chicken backs and half meaty meat daily. Works well for them! Plus, chicken backs are DIRT cheap, that's mostly why I use them for my bone source.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 29th, 2008, 6:09 pm

BullyLady wrote:I found a website that had meat/bone ratios for diff body parts, said that chicken backs are 50% bone. I use them for my bone source and they work well, but chicken necks are too small for my dogs. They maintain good poos at about 25% bone, so I feed them half chicken backs and half meaty meat daily. Works well for them! Plus, chicken backs are DIRT cheap, that's mostly why I use them for my bone source.


Thank you! Do you have that website...I would be really interested in taking a look at it just to figure out the differences in all the parts :)
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 6:17 pm

LaylaWoobie wrote:
BullyLady wrote:I found a website that had meat/bone ratios for diff body parts, said that chicken backs are 50% bone. I use them for my bone source and they work well, but chicken necks are too small for my dogs. They maintain good poos at about 25% bone, so I feed them half chicken backs and half meaty meat daily. Works well for them! Plus, chicken backs are DIRT cheap, that's mostly why I use them for my bone source.


Thank you! Do you have that website...I would be really interested in taking a look at it just to figure out the differences in all the parts :)


http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/nutriti ... _parts.htm

:D
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 29th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Thank you! :dance:
User avatar
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully
 
Posts: 1834
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 6:18 pm

LMM wrote:A case is 40 pounds and it cost me $19 something. They were roughly .49 cents a pound but they often go on sale for .39 and .29 cents a pound, so it pays to keep an eye out for those.

This is about 3 weeks worth for my 3 hounds. I can probably even stretch it out to a month.


:shock: No fair!!! I pay .55 cents a pound for chicken backs, and it's thru a distributor so they never go on sale.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby gayrghts » April 29th, 2008, 6:21 pm

heck walmart chicken legs are ALWAYS 49 cents a lb....

in 10 lb packages....use them instead?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
User avatar
gayrghts
I live here
 
Posts: 2346
Location: upstate ny

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 6:25 pm

gayrghts wrote:heck walmart chicken legs are ALWAYS 49 cents a lb....

in 10 lb packages....use them instead?


I have one very very large dog and a smaller dog who tends to inhale food. Legs don't really work...
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby Magnolia618 » April 29th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Leq quarters don't work? Really? I used to give them to my mastiff and my dog Maggie eats pretty damn fast :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
User avatar
Magnolia618
I live here
 
Posts: 2435
Location: Onion, VT

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 6:29 pm

:|
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby gayrghts » April 29th, 2008, 6:39 pm

When i have food that they inhale to fast... i freeze it in portions and give it out in frozen portions.....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
User avatar
gayrghts
I live here
 
Posts: 2346
Location: upstate ny

Postby BullyLady » April 29th, 2008, 6:44 pm

gayrghts wrote:When i have food that they inhale to fast... i freeze it in portions and give it out in frozen portions.....


Me too. In fact, my great dane eats all of his food frozen solid. He once inhaled an entire chicken back because it was thawed. :smileUp: I have tried the chicken legs and they both just suck up the entire thing, it makes me nervous. Plus, when you feed large food it takes longer to eat and provides more mental stimulation than small food.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
User avatar
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd
 
Posts: 1060
Location: E Washington State

Postby gayrghts » April 29th, 2008, 7:48 pm

yes i agree....

which is why i feed chicken necks frozen....

funny story, last week our 12 or 13 yr old pit/boxer Dax was accidently given 3 necks IN a baggie.... in her crate

I don't know what happened... i'm blond on occasion.... lol

Anyway 3 hrs later Kate came home, and called me asking why Dax had 3 chicken necks defrosted in a ziplock bag, zipped in her crate....

She had not touched the bag....
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
User avatar
gayrghts
I live here
 
Posts: 2346
Location: upstate ny

Postby cheekymunkee » April 29th, 2008, 9:00 pm

I buy the quarters at Walmart for .49 cents a pound in 10 pound bags. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
User avatar
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass
 
Posts: 28540
Location: Dallas

Postby gayrghts » April 29th, 2008, 9:05 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I buy the quarters at Walmart for .49 cents a pound in 10 pound bags. :)


So do i.... and they are for people or dogs.... first come first serve :)


cept us people.... we like them cooked :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
User avatar
gayrghts
I live here
 
Posts: 2346
Location: upstate ny

PreviousNext

Return to Raw Feeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users