Neat dog tricks

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby SisMorphine » March 24th, 2006, 12:30 pm

houlabulla? wrote:This morning I found a website for kids to teach tricks. I am going to have my son try some. This morning I started myself with play dead. He is getting it quickly. Its funny the way he folds his paws. Although I hate using play dead and the kids site calls it take a nap but he looks like he is playing dead not taking a nap.

Wally plays "dead puppy" all on his own. Half of the time when he sleeps he seriously loosk dead, so we call it dead puppy and whenever we say "Wally, are you a dead puppy?" he will lick his lips, groan, and go back to sleep. Not really a trick, but he still does it well :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9233
Location: PR

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 24th, 2006, 1:37 pm

What is that website? I figure if it's written for kids, I may be able to figure it out. :idea:
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby rockermom » March 24th, 2006, 2:54 pm

loveyourdog.com
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 24th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Thanks!
User avatar
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing
 
Posts: 15437
Location: Cleveland, OH

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 9:38 am

Thanks guys for inspiring me to teach tricks. Stated yesterday. The family love it. Got one of my kids helping. Yesterday we learned play dead and crawl. A little more work to get it on comand. Play dead is the funniest. I want him to learn speak but he does not bark enough to catch a bark. Funny cause they say dogs have to learn speak to learn quiet. When Rocky whines in his crate he understands quiet. When he does bark we know something is up. My next question is, Is it best to work on one trick at a time and wait till they have it on comand before moving to a new one?
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby cheekymunkee » March 25th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Funny cause they say dogs have to learn speak to learn quiet.


So not true! I have never taught mine "speak" but all 3 know exactly what "shut you face" means. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
User avatar
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass
 
Posts: 28540
Location: Dallas

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Weird, Just found out something Rocky is scared of. So far the only thing he was scared of was pennys in a can. But I decided to change "play Dead" to "bang your dead" with a pointed finger. Well he got up and took off and hid. Then when I went near him he ran. When I finally got him to me and put my hand on his collar he tried to get away. Gee what the heck. Guess something at his first home scared him with pointing. Weird. So I keep puting a treat in my hand and making a pointed finger he reluctenly comes for the treat( very highly motivated with food) I guess I will stick with play dead.
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby cheekymunkee » March 25th, 2006, 3:40 pm

Awwww poor guy. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
User avatar
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass
 
Posts: 28540
Location: Dallas

Postby Malli » March 26th, 2006, 12:46 am

houlabulla? wrote:well how do you teach them to bow etc?


I taught bow a lot like many teach down.
I got Oscar standing
Placed one hand right before his hind legs underneath him.
Grabbed a treat, and had his head follow the treat down in between his legs.
I also physically helped him the first few times
While doing this I spoke the command bow and praised

I repeated this in a few 5 minute sessions the night I taught it and in the following day or 2.

Next I worked on him holding the position, I stood beside him and had a hand on top of his shoulders and under his belly ( I can't for the life of me remember the name of that spot on the body)
Treat and simply move the dog back into position and repeat the command
Next I began having him do the movement on his own while I knelt beside him, then crouched, then stood, then stood in front of him.

I finished by using a hand signal, wich kind of looks like me doing a mini bow to him. I used the hand signal because Bow and Down sound similar so he could be sure to differentiate well

I hope all that made sense :)

Malli
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2006, 12:52 am

houlabulla? wrote:Weird, Just found out something Rocky is scared of. So far the only thing he was scared of was pennys in a can. But I decided to change "play Dead" to "bang your dead" with a pointed finger. Well he got up and took off and hid. Then when I went near him he ran. When I finally got him to me and put my hand on his collar he tried to get away. Gee what the heck. Guess something at his first home scared him with pointing. Weird. So I keep puting a treat in my hand and making a pointed finger he reluctenly comes for the treat( very highly motivated with food) I guess I will stick with play dead.


I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of people point and shake their finger at kids/dogs/ whomever when they are yelling. If that finger pointing was followed by over harsh 'disipline' he would have learned to hi-tail it the second he saw the finger.

I think you are right on track with getting him over the pointed finger problem, stick with it and then use it as your command like you planned to do! It will be a good reminder to you that you worked with him and fixed a problem... always a bonding experience!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17234
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby pocketpit » March 26th, 2006, 4:15 am

I used the hand signal because Bow and Down sound similar so he could be sure to differentiate well


Yea, I figured this one out a bit late! I am now in the process of teaching a good signal for this one :)
User avatar
pocketpit
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1201
Location: WA

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 26th, 2006, 8:55 am

Curtsy is a good word, though a little embarrassing for a big male dog!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully
 
Posts: 922
Location: FingerLakes NY

Postby rockermom » March 26th, 2006, 4:23 pm

mnp13 wrote:
houlabulla? wrote:Weird, Just found out something Rocky is scared of. So far the only thing he was scared of was pennys in a can. But I decided to change "play Dead" to "bang your dead" with a pointed finger. Well he got up and took off and hid. Then when I went near him he ran. When I finally got him to me and put my hand on his collar he tried to get away. Gee what the heck. Guess something at his first home scared him with pointing. Weird. So I keep puting a treat in my hand and making a pointed finger he reluctenly comes for the treat( very highly motivated with food) I guess I will stick with play dead.


I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of people point and shake their finger at kids/dogs/ whomever when they are yelling. If that finger pointing was followed by over harsh 'disipline' he would have learned to hi-tail it the second he saw the finger.
Thank You!
Maybe your right. I do point and say go in when I want him in the crate that does not bother him. However I am not pointing directly at him. He was only 4 months when we got him and we have had him 4 months. I guess he could remember. He is responding great to plain "play dead". Has it on command with just one session so I will leave it for now. But I will still work the point.

I think you are right on track with getting him over the pointed finger problem, stick with it and then use it as your command like you planned to do! It will be a good reminder to you that you worked with him and fixed a problem... always a bonding experience!
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby rockermom » March 26th, 2006, 4:25 pm

houlabulla? wrote:
mnp13 wrote:
houlabulla? wrote:Weird, Just found out something Rocky is scared of. So far the only thing he was scared of was pennys in a can. But I decided to change "play Dead" to "bang your dead" with a pointed finger. Well he got up and took off and hid. Then when I went near him he ran. When I finally got him to me and put my hand on his collar he tried to get away. Gee what the heck. Guess something at his first home scared him with pointing. Weird. So I keep puting a treat in my hand and making a pointed finger he reluctenly comes for the treat( very highly motivated with food) I guess I will stick with play dead.


I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of people point and shake their finger at kids/dogs/ whomever when they are yelling. If that finger pointing was followed by over harsh 'disipline' he would have learned to hi-tail it the second he saw the finger.


Sorry I messed up on the last post with the quote.
Thank You!
Maybe your right. I do point and say go in when I want him in the crate that does not bother him. However I am not pointing directly at him. He was only 4 months when we got him and we have had him 4 months. I guess he could remember. He is responding great to plain "play dead". Has it on command with just one session so I will leave it for now. But I will still work the point.

I think you are right on track with getting him over the pointed finger problem, stick with it and then use it as your command like you planned to do! It will be a good reminder to you that you worked with him and fixed a problem... always a bonding experience
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby SisMorphine » March 26th, 2006, 4:44 pm

houlabulla? wrote:He was only 4 months when we got him and we have had him 4 months. I guess he could remember.


Most of a dog's imprinting occurs by 12-16 weeks, which is why even though you got him at 4 months he very very very easily could have picked up some stuff beforehand.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9233
Location: PR

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users