Trick training

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Romanwild » January 17th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Anyone have a cool trick for the bullies and how to teach it? 8)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » January 18th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Take a Bite!

Grab a decent sized treat, hold it between your insides of your thumb and forefinger. Offer the treat to the dog, but don't let it go. Keep saying "Take a Bite". When they finally get the point and bite it, then let them have the rest and praise.

Works wonders. Now if we have a little left in our bowl and decide that Weda can have some, we can offer it to her on a fork and she knows how to do it.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Purple » January 18th, 2006, 3:19 pm

We have all of ours doing a donut at the same time. Like trained dolphins, they will all turn in a circle at the same time.
We taught them this by holding a treat above them, slightly, and towards their back end so they would have to turn to get the treat.
Purple
I live here

Postby arlosgirl » January 18th, 2006, 4:22 pm

my boyfriend trained beano to shake with either hand. hell say shake, and he will, then he says "other hand" and he switches paws. then he says both and he will shake with both. hehe its cute!
arlosgirl
Just Whelped

Postby Jaime » January 19th, 2006, 2:00 pm

i like "sneeze" i sneeze and then so does she lol. also every night me and my dogs all howl together :D
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pblove » January 20th, 2006, 5:22 pm

the only trick Paige does is the "make the food disappear" in her bowl! :yum: ( :rolleyes2: )
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 20th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Purple wrote:We have all of ours doing a donut at the same time. Like trained dolphins, they will all turn in a circle at the same time.
We taught them this by holding a treat above them, slightly, and towards their back end so they would have to turn to get the treat.
hehhe we do that too but I call it "get Dizzy" Samurai and Steel are also really good at doing 360s in the air as well

We also do peek a boo in and around my legs LOL helps when training a specific spot for the dog to sit in agility too and builds focus

army crawl is always cute too
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Purple » January 20th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Good agility for agility focus!

I forgot about the army crawl....I say "Whats a snake do?", and they crawl on their bellies!!! :D
Purple
I live here

Postby pblove » January 20th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Purple wrote:Good agility for agility focus!

I forgot about the army crawl....I say "Whats a snake do?", and they crawl on their bellies!!! :D

aww, I would really get a kick out of seeing that one!!! Too cute!
pblove
Just Whelped

Postby turtle » January 22nd, 2006, 3:59 am

pblove wrote:the only trick Paige does is the "make the food disappear" in her bowl! :yum: ( :rolleyes2: )

Mine is very good at that one too! :D

And she is also good at playing like she is deaf if you call her....
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 22nd, 2006, 4:31 am

pblove wrote:the only trick Paige does is the "make the food disappear" in her bowl! :yum: ( :rolleyes2: )

Kato too! LOL
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » January 22nd, 2006, 2:47 pm

Justice knows 'what do pretty girls do"? she sits down. Munkee knows "crazy man", I just yell crazy man and he gets the zoomies. He does it to 'rabies dog" too. Not really tricks.......
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby CinderDee » January 22nd, 2006, 3:31 pm

:rofl:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » January 25th, 2006, 1:38 am

WAVE!! Wally's trainer (also my new daytime roommate and the trainer I will be apprenticing with in a few weeks) taught her Rotties how to wave. This way when people would cross the street when she was walking them she would have them sit and wave at the person, who immediately felt like an idiot.

I think she taught "high five" first, but I'll have to check with her when she gets here tomorrow.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SisMorphine » January 25th, 2006, 1:41 am

Jaime wrote:i like "sneeze" i sneeze and then so does she lol. also every night me and my dogs all howl together :D

Wally is a howler, but only does it on command when I say "sing." It took a very long time for him to get it, but now he's a singing (in the Greyhound world it's called "Rooing") champ!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » January 28th, 2006, 3:34 am

Well, Petey has some interesting tricks.

HE PEES IN THE TOILET! If the lid is up or on the drain in the tub if it's down.

If you sing the first notes to a shave and two bits, he barks the last two.

I started it by singing it and barking the last two notes myself with him sitting there looking at me like I was completely looped.

So I enlisted my husband. He sat on the floor and barked where he was supposed to. Petey got the picture, especially when he realized there were skittles involved.

If you make the "talky" motion with your hand, Petey will bark. He also barks like a crazy dog when I say "Let me hear you Devil Dog".

He also goes into the bath room when you tell him "Hit the Shower". He gets too excited when someone is at the door, so we send him into the bathroom for a minute to calm down.

He brings the B-A-Double Hockey Sticks closer to you if you tell him "Can't Reach".

He is also the WORST TATTLE TALE! He talks more than any dog (Beagle and bassett hound included) that I have ever met. If my youngest daughter or my other Pittie are into something, he rats on them!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2006, 10:20 am

SisMorphine wrote:WAVE!! Wally's trainer (also my new daytime roommate and the trainer I will be apprenticing with in a few weeks) taught her Rotties how to wave. This way when people would cross the street when she was walking them she would have them sit and wave at the person, who immediately felt like an idiot.

I think she taught "high five" first, but I'll have to check with her when she gets here tomorrow.

Ok, now I HAVE to teach Ruby to do a trick. that is TOOOO funny!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Judy » January 28th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Purple wrote:Good agility for agility focus!

You've GOT to get those tricks on video!
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby pibblegrl » February 4th, 2006, 1:34 pm

How about waving?

When he knows how to give a paw trick him into reaching up higher for your hand but don't give your hand instead give a cookie and say 'good wave'. Now when I tell Dale to wave..he sits up on his back feet and waves his right paw.

I wonder if dogs can be right or left 'pawed'..similar to people being right or left handed...he seems to favor the right one when he does things. :?
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby anissa » July 21st, 2006, 4:32 am

We have taught Charlie to shake his right and left paw. We'll say "right" and he'll shake his right paw. We'll say "left" and he shakes his left paw.

We switch it up and try to confuse him, but he always gets it.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Training & Behavior