I am at my wits end here..

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 3:33 pm

if i crate her she will need a bath from crapping in her crate.. so i would rather not crate her.. now sonny just had the runs outside..

jesse was on the flagyl for aweek with the runs still, so the vet figured amoxicillian might help better..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 3:39 pm

Well from experience with my kids, it always gives them the runs.
Flagyl is an antiprotozoan, so if she picked something odd up in the trash it would definately help with that. They give it for Coccidia.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 4:44 pm

she ate every bit of food and cooked bones in the trash from a weeks worth of cooking.. she had the runs for 2 days, then went to the vet, then got the flagyl, still had the runs, then had solid poop , then the runs again, now on amoxicillian, now the runs still.... i wish i could give her rice, but it will cause her allergies to come out.. i feel so bad for her.. and now sonny has the runs.. i cant win
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 4:48 pm

hm...I wonder if she got ahold of something that can be passed from one to the other??? Or they are sick with something else and the trash was coincidental.
Have you tried jello? I used to use it for my kids when they had sick tummies.
Maybe get some of the probiotics?
Does yogurt help at all?
Did the vet test the fecal material for strange bacteria or protozoans?

Read this: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... &A=506&S=2

And this:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/Vomiting-Diarrhea.html

They are saying wait 24hrs. and then feed from the groups listed on this page...
http://thefuntimesguide.com/movabletype ... rrhea.html
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 5:39 pm

sonny was downstairs when jesse ate all the garbage.. i have been giving them priobiotics as well.. its just another issue in the house of misfit dogs.... if her runs dont stop by monday she goes back in the vets for more exam,xray, etc... sonny i think probably ate something outside , or he might just be having a bug or something.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Give Keopectate? Had to do that when Rocky came home from shelter. The Runs was more like the explosion. It would just shoot out of him. I gave keopectate and also Rice. I found a website which gave the dosage for weight of dog. I will see if I can find that.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Did not find the dosage for kaopectate but found there can be side effects if on otherPrecautions and Side Effectsmeds...

While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, bismuth subsalicylate can cause side effects in some animals.

Bismuth subsalicylate should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.

You should not use if your pet is allergic to aspirin or other salicylates.

There are no serious complications caused by giving Pepto-Bismol to dogs, although there is not complete agreement that it is helpful either.

Because salicylate-like compounds are slowly eliminated in cats, one should be careful not to exceed the recommended doses for cats. It should be used with great caution in cats and only under the direction of a veterinarian.

Bismuth subsalicylate may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with bismuth subsalicylate. Such drugs include tetracycline, steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and aspirin.

Pet owners should be aware that the bismuth compound causes a discoloration, usually a darkening, of the pet’s bowel movements.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 25th, 2006, 6:06 pm

I was thinking about this when I was in the shower (don't ask me why, I guess I do my best thinking in there!) and I realized the vet is giving her Amox for possible E. coli bacteria?
That could have grown on the meat bones she ate.
Although the side effects are diarrhea, that's probably why they gave it to her :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm

the bones and food were fermenting in the garbage bag from monday to thursday. she got into it on thursday.. so the vet said that the bacteria in the garbage bag has a big play in her runs. the xrays showed bone pieces still in her intestines, but they were really small, and the vet said they should pass no problem. we are both hoping that the bones didnt cut her insides...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 10:38 pm

so far both her and sonny are having major runs.... and major farts.. my house stinks like crap, i have all the windows open and am freezing my ass off, plus i have candles burning, room airfreshners sprayed.. if they would both just stop, or put corks up their butts i would be better able to deal with it.. and waking up in the middle of the night to clean up the runs is not fun either....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » March 26th, 2006, 10:44 am

Maryellen wrote:so far both her and sonny are having major runs.... and major farts.. my house stinks like poop, i have all the windows open and am freezing my fanny off, plus i have candles burning, room airfreshners sprayed.. if they would both just stop, or put corks up their butts i would be better able to deal with it.. and waking up in the middle of the night to clean up the runs is not fun either....

How are they doing today? Geez I don't know what to say, since you can't give rice.
I did find a website that said about the Kaopectate dosage that someone mentioned here - it said 1 tsp. per 10 lbs. of bodyweight for low dosage, 1 tsp. per 5 lbs. bodyweight for high dosage.
I hope they start to feel better soon!
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 10:47 am

they both still have the crappers.. they are also both fasting today.. no food since yesterday so far.. and they still have the runs... i had them outside most of the day yesterday to clean up their messes and air the house out, and when i went out to inspect the yard you could tell they both had the runs yet again.... the vet said if jesse isnt doing better by tomorrow to bring her in, so i guess i will be bringing both of them in...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 10:56 am

sonny woke up jamie all night last night to go out and have the runs he just told me, and i just let him out again, and he had runs yet again..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » March 26th, 2006, 11:07 am

Maryellen wrote:they both still have the crappers.. they are also both fasting today.. no food since yesterday so far.. and they still have the runs... i had them outside most of the day yesterday to clean up their messes and air the house out, and when i went out to inspect the yard you could tell they both had the runs yet again.... the vet said if jesse isnt doing better by tomorrow to bring her in, so i guess i will be bringing both of them in...

Oh geez, I feel so bad for all of you. Hopefully the vet can give you something to help alleviate the diarrhea.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » March 26th, 2006, 11:32 am

Have you tried the Kaopectate or immodium?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby girlie » March 26th, 2006, 11:35 am

Plain white rice usually helps clear up the runs. That leaves little worry about a posible side effect or allergic reaction to a medication that the dog has not been on before.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby girlie » March 26th, 2006, 11:40 am

Oops, just read the entire thread and saw the "allergic to rice" part......sorry :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby odnarb » March 26th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Is she allergic to oatmeal or cottage cheese? That is another bland diet I like to use.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 26th, 2006, 12:15 pm

she is allergic to grains, but i dont know if oats fall into that catagory.. and cottage cheese gives her the runs..
sonny at least i can give him rice.he has no allergies thank god.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 26th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Bananas are part of the brat diet.
Jello is good too, maybe jello water to drink?
Oatmeal is supposed to be good for allergies but it could aggravate the intestinal tract.
I was wondering about fiber capsules or wafers? I wonder if that would help your dog? It is supposed to help move things when they aren't and help firm up things if it isn't firm enough ;)
msvette2u
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health