Minor Selective Seperation Anxiety

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby JCleve86 » March 25th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Okay...so against my wishes, my dogs are going to be living with my mom most of the time from here on out. (They had been living with my Dad and I. My mom lives in the same complex as my Dad and I, so I can go see them any time I want, but it's not the same...I'm sure I don't need to explain that to you folks).

Now for the point...I left them at my moms apartment for the first time a few days ago and left to pick up lunch. My mom was there with them. She didn't tell me until today, but I guess after I left they started whining and pacing for a while. They DID calm down just fine, but showed that they are perhaps overly attached to me. (After all, she is their mom too...of course they haven't lived with her for several months now...anyways...back on topic).

Suggestions?

Also...my mom seems to think that they will do better if they just permanently move to her place rather than going back and forth between both of our apartments. (Keep in mind that she works 12 hour shifts, plus 1 hour for driving...and also that she's fine with me staying there when she works, and in fact wants me to). Somebody please give me some ammo to convince her that they need to stay with me sometimes too. Even if it's not best for training. :D :cry:
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 10:33 pm

they have to stay with you too, besides the fact that 12 hour shifts plus the driving time would mean that they would be in the house for 14 hours without a potty breaks.... thats way too long.. plus for training purposes they should be with you as well.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2006, 10:35 pm

I would guess that the switches in routine is going to hinder them settling down. What are they used to?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby JCleve86 » March 25th, 2006, 10:40 pm

I guess I didn't write that clearly enough...I would be staying at her place when she works so that they wouldn't have to hold it that long. I would run away with my dogs and live in a van down by the river before I let them stay somewhere where they'd have to hold it that long! (Besides that my mom wouldn't put them in that situation either). Just to be nitpicky, I meant it was 1 hour driving total, not each way, so it would be 13 hours but that's neither here nor there.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby JCleve86 » March 25th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Maryellen wrote:they have to stay with you too, besides the fact that 12 hour shifts plus the driving time would mean that they would be in the house for 14 hours without a potty breaks.... thats way too long.. plus for training purposes they should be with you as well.

I love you! :D
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 10:44 pm

aw shucks., i love you too. :D
Maryellen
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior