Hi from NY

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby jbsibley » April 14th, 2008, 11:55 am

Hi! My name is John and I don't have a pit bull companion, but I probably will eventually. I'm heavily involved in dog rescue and am a frequent volunteer at Pets Alive, a no kill shelter in Middletown, NY. I work with a lot of the pits there and I love them all, even the difficult ones. I occasionally have pit-related questions and I'm hoping to take advantage of the expertise on these forums to help give some of our pits a better life.
jbsibley
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » April 14th, 2008, 12:22 pm

You aren't friends with that crazy Chea girl, are you? :lookaround:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » April 14th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Hi John! Welcome to PBT! :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 14th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » April 14th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, John. :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Welcome, John!!! :wave2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Scout » April 14th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Hi John!! Welcome to PBT!! :wave2: You'll find lots of expertise and many different advices and opinions here...so I'd say you came to the right place!!!! :D
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby jbsibley » April 14th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I do know Chea! Not well, I'm afraid - our schedules were such that when she was there I usually wasn't.
jbsibley
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » April 14th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Well, we won't hold that against you. :wink: :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » April 14th, 2008, 8:49 pm

:wave2: Hello and Welcome
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Magnolia618 » April 14th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Hey!!!

Hows everything going at Pets Alive? I read that you are trying to get a prefert built for Bindi. How is she doing? Is she getting any use of that weight pull harness?

I want to make a trip down there within the next couple of weeks. When are you usually there?
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Welcome to the forum
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby jbsibley » April 15th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Pets Alive is doing great and Bindi already has her Priefert - with another one beside it that I think will be Scrappy's new home. She seems to like it a lot better, but she misses close proximity to people and so I'm looking for some activities to distract her that don't involve chewing on a steel-belted radial. The pull harness is on hold until the skin on her feet gets tougher - a change in diet made a HUGE improvement to her skin condition, but her feet are still a little sensitive.

I'm always up Mondays and Thursdays these days. I work with Cam, now, too, whom I love. PM me when you know when you're coming down!

For those of you who are a little lost (and I'm sorry this thread has branched so OT!) these are the pitties I'm talking about, long term residents of Pets Alive.

This is Bindi. She's a very happy girl. Although slightly undisciplined (she's not always sure what's hers to chew on and what's not) she loves people, is very friendly, and is dog social. She plays very nicely with my 17lb cocker spaniel and shares everything with her.

This is Cam, a very handsome boy. He's the most agile dog I've ever seen, capable of doing backflips and has an over six foor vertical leap from a standstill. He's also stranger aggressive. When he knows and trusts you, he's a total love bug.

Scrappy was seized from a dogfighter in a law enforcement action - he's covered in scars. He LOVES people and is eager to please, but could use some discipline and training. He is extremely dog aggressive and extremely powerful.

All are available for adoption, by the way (plug plug) to the right person.
jbsibley
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » April 15th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Fantastic!! What is Bindi eating now? I suggested that they put her on Canidae verses the *gag* Iams, but I'm not sure if they ever did.

She would do fantastic on raw, too! She will be amazing in weight pull. She is do drivey, she needs a job to do. Alot of people on this board have dogs just like her, and they are involved in such cool stuff!

Cam is such a goober!

Scrappy came just before I left, so I didnt really get a chance to know him. SOOO CUTE!

Oh hey, do you know how Dora is doing? Has her cancer progressed much? Any of the original dogs (besides Cam) still there?

Words cannot express how much I miss all of you! That was the best place in the world!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » April 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Oh, and hows your puppy doing?

I never did get a chance to groom her, or did I? I'm losing track...
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby jbsibley » April 18th, 2008, 12:01 am

Bindi is now on a fish and sweet potato (dry) diet, I can't remember what brand, but I don't think it's Canidae. She's doing much better on it and most of her marks now tend to be of the self-inflicted variety - she doesn't want to be anywhere except the grooming room, so when she's in an outside pen she tends to look for things to destroy and hurt herself in the process - she has the Priefert because she can't get her nose far enough into it to chew on the steel like she does with chain link. Oddly, she's not at all destructive in the grooming room.

Dora's cancer is progressing but she's still active and happy, just slowing down a tad. She doesn't come into work any more because she was getting sick from being around sick dogs in her weakened state, but Janet says she's doing well.

Several original dogs still there! Cam, Bonesy, Lincoln (now a lifer), Sammy, April, Bingo, Lonesome, Tarzan, Cheetah... I'm probably forgetting one or two.

Ginger (was Butterscotch) is doing wonderfully. She's gained a lot of confidence and is very affectionate with people she knows and likes. She also enjoys hanging out with Bindi in the grooming room - she usually comes with me when I come up. I don't think you ever groomed her because she came home with me freshly-spayed and I wasn't allowed to bathe her for the longest 10 days of my life.
jbsibley
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 18th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Hi and welcome!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Magnolia618 » April 19th, 2008, 1:14 pm

fish and sweet potato (dry) diet,

Probably Wellness :goodStuff:

You guys should get her some raw marrow bones from the supermarket. I'm sure she would LOVE those!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » April 19th, 2008, 1:14 pm

and is Cam turning grey? :giggle:
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Introductions