Housekeepers?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » March 25th, 2006, 11:37 am

Does anyone here hire someone to come clean their house?

This was obviously spurned by the other thread. But seriously, I despise cleaning. A lot. I don't have that home-ec mindset that keeps houses, dishes, and clothes clean. Hell, I had a party a week ago and there is still a plastic cup on the floor in the hallway that I am too lazy to bend over and pick up. When I start my new job in May I think I am going to budget it so I can have someone come once a week.

Does anyone here do this? How much does it cost you? Exactly WHAT do they clean? I've never done this before, and neither did my family growing up, so I am jumping into it blindly. Just wondering what to expect . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » March 25th, 2006, 11:52 am

my parents have a housekeeper that comes every 2 weeks. my mom cant clean like she used too after she broke her pelvis, so they hired a woman to come in. they live in a 2 bed townhouse near me, and the woman does the vaccuming, dusting, straightening up, she is there for 2 hours usually, and does other odds and ends.. my mom can do small stuff, so the house is not a mess when the cleaning lady comes. she charges my folks $65 every 2 weeks..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 11:54 am

Never hired one but have done it for someone. It Sucks! Needed the money. I did not like having to pick up their crap or toys. That was their job and the kids had beds made and things picked up. Basically the job was to put any dishes in diswasher. Clean bathrooms (mop clean shower toilet). Mop kitchen, wipe counters. Dust furniture and vacume. It took about 2 hrs. I think I got about 75 a week. But that was about 8 yrs ago. I stopped doing it since then I did not want to come home and clean my own house.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 25th, 2006, 11:56 am

sorry make that 75 every 2 weeks. It was a 3 bdrm house.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » March 25th, 2006, 12:06 pm

My parents had one come in every two weeks. I don't know what she got paid, I could find out, but she did the basics, cleaned the floors, bathrooms, vaced and dusted.
We had to clean our rooms before she came!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 25th, 2006, 12:21 pm

:o WOW.. Guess it depends on area, company, and what is to be done? Typically around here it can run you from $40 - $50 every 2 weeks. I done it for a while, and had excellent service. My floors were spotless, base boards, ceiling fans, sinks, toilets, counters ~ you name it. Only problem ~ drama and no show... :rolleyes2: SOOOO.. wasn't worth it. Nothing like thinking your house will be clean when you get home, then receiving a call that "sorry, I can't make it today I hit my toe, can I come tomorrow"? Annoyed me, so basically I decided my house was clean enough and easier/cheaper to just do it my dang self. About once a month I get into robo clean mode and I'm a non stop don't interrupt me till the house is spotless kind of person. That will just have to work, lol.

At work we have a cleaning service that comes in once a month. Same thing never show when supposed to. They charge $100 a month, and basically just clean the floors, wipe down stuff, empty trash, and clean the small kitchen area. I don't think it's worth it AT all! Typically there are spider webs, smears on filing cabinets, and they never put the dang rugs or trash cans back. Basically not that good of a job at all. Since we're on a strict profit and loss system, I've tried to convince my General Mgr. that it's a complete waste. They are cute, friendly, and flirty though so he enjoys their visits and says they have nice boobs, lol. I give up! :rolleyes2:
Jenn
undecided

Postby girlie » March 25th, 2006, 2:23 pm

You guys seem to be getting pretty good deals there. My sister had one for her 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath, 2 cats 2 dogs and was charged $75 a visit. She charged a little more because of the animals.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Return to Off-Topic