Please keep Mick in your thoughts today...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby hey21jude » April 12th, 2008, 10:23 pm

So sorry to hear about this! I really hope he feels better soon! I think you made the right decision to bring him home. Poor guy all stressed out like that! I would have done the same thing. Sending lots of good and hungry thoughts Mick's way! :hug3:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 12th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Poor guy. I am sorry he had such a crappy day but I am glad they got some fluids in him.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » April 12th, 2008, 10:29 pm

:(

I'm so sorry. Positive thoughts heading your way from Vermont!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 12th, 2008, 10:32 pm

I would have brought him home too, Christine. I'm so sorry that you guys are having such a hard time. As I told you in PM, I questioned myself about continuing Kato's chemo too. It's so tough to put them through this and much more so for Mick with his fear issues. I really hope the new meds and some time off make all the difference.

Sending hugs & love!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Magnolia618 » April 12th, 2008, 10:37 pm

I remember when Maggie had a severe reaction to tahini (ground sesame seeds). I had to bring her to the closest vet to me, and the Dr. wanted to keep her over night. I was like, "So basically she will be in a cage until you guys leave, and ALONE all night untl you get here in the morning, right?" The vet was like "Well, Yeah... but someone stops buy at night to check on everybody".

Yep, Thanks, but no thanks. I think I can handle watching my own dog, and being able to take her to the E-clinic if necessary. Not just having her sit alone all night and have who knows what happen.

Crazy money hungry people. :rolleyes2:
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 12th, 2008, 10:55 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:

Actually... this clinic was VERY reasonable, all things considered... they didn't charge me for a "full exam", for example... because they didn't do one. Usually I get charged for it, regardless, since it's not the staffs problem that Beast can't be examined in a reasonable fashion... :oops: :rolleyes2:

And when Mick has to spend the night - so do I, always. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » April 12th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Ugh poor kids (both of you) :(

When does Dr. Correa get back? Doesn't she realize that she is NOT allowed to go away on vacation?! I'm convinced that THAT is what makes Mick sick ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby gayrghts » April 13th, 2008, 12:13 am

Christine... i'm sure he's lost some wt due to the pukeys and not eating BUT....

remember its a different office so a different scale....

so it could be plus or minus a couple of pounds....

IF those lab values were people's.... i'd not be concerned about the eos and the mono, and the neu at all.... its when they are high that there are issues...
the WBC are a bit low, but that's expected with the chemo....

WBC low 2.1
Mono low 0.09
NEU low 1.25
EOS low 0.05

Here's a link on dog cancer lab work explainations... in english :)
http://www.dogcancer.net/k9-labs.html (sorry there's an add on there for some diet suppliment... but it has nothing to do with me)

All the way to the bottom of this page... is more info on lab values
http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 13th, 2008, 12:20 am

Thanks, Heather. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pocketpit » April 13th, 2008, 1:45 am

It sounds like the hospital scared Mick straight. I'm happy to hear that he's keeping a little water and food down now though I'm not happy you had to go through all that. We're keeping our fingers crossed that he continues to improve.
And what Heather said about his bloodwork and his weight is right on the mark. Try not to let those little things stress you, you've been through enough already.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2008, 4:37 am

Magnolia618 wrote:I remember when Maggie had a severe reaction to tahini (ground sesame seeds). I had to bring her to the closest vet to me, and the Dr. wanted to keep her over night. I was like, "So basically she will be in a cage until you guys leave, and ALONE all night untl you get here in the morning, right?" The vet was like "Well, Yeah... but someone stops buy at night to check on everybody".

Yep, Thanks, but no thanks. I think I can handle watching my own dog, and being able to take her to the E-clinic if necessary. Not just having her sit alone all night and have who knows what happen.

FYI, not all ER vets leave the animals alone :wink:
In terms of rehydration, it is ideal for the animal to be on continuous IV fluids (not that I disagree with Christines decision - it sounds like Mick was a wreck)

Christine, first, I'm so sorry you guys are having a bad run with this stuff! I think the next best thing would be Subcutaneous fluids :| Do you think you can learn how to give them? Maybe you could work something out where you give him say 150 mls every 2 hrs for 3 treatments the next time he even vomits once? That way at least even if he doesn't eat he won't get dehydrated and make the nausea and GI issues worse... I don't know, obviously this all need to be run by a Vet; I'm not sure how sensitive he is but even if the needle hurts it has to be better if you do it and not someone else that stresses him to the max. I know SQ injections barely even phase Oscar at all, it seems like he hardly even notices them - though I've never done SQ fluids.
I think I mentioned this before, but maybe they could show you how to give the fluids on Daisy or maybe a staff member at the practice would volunteer one of their dogs :| That way you could learn without the stress of dealing with Mick....
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » April 13th, 2008, 4:49 am

Malli wrote:Christine, first, I'm so sorry you guys are having a bad run with this stuff! I think the next best thing would be Subcutaneous fluids :| Do you think you can learn how to give them? Maybe you could work something out where you give him say 150 mls every 2 hrs for 3 treatments the next time he even vomits once? That way at least even if he doesn't eat he won't get dehydrated and make the nausea and GI issues worse... I don't know, obviously this all need to be run by a Vet; I'm not sure how sensitive he is but even if the needle hurts it has to be better if you do it and not someone else that stresses him to the max. I know SQ injections barely even phase Oscar at all, it seems like he hardly even notices them - though I've never done SQ fluids.
I think I mentioned this before, but maybe they could show you how to give the fluids on Daisy or maybe a staff member at the practice would volunteer one of their dogs :| That way you could learn without the stress of dealing with Mick....

Thanks, Malli... I am definitely open to the idea and will discuss it w/Dr. Correa on Monday at Mick's follow-up appointment. I'm pretty sure he won't object too much - he's very good when it comes to me "doctoring" him. :)
If we can't get a dog to volunteer, I'll try it on myself, I think... if that's possible.
It would make life - and chemo - so much easier on both of us, not to mention that it will be cheaper AND less stressful.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2008, 5:04 am

your skin doesn't work like a dogs :neutral: I'm told It would hurt like the dickens if you tried to put fluids anywhere but in your veins! (never had IV fluids myself)
Is Daisy not a good "candidate"?

I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but at my work the techs and vet assistants/nurses often volunteer their pets for "guinea pigging" : trying out an xray with a new tecnique, using them as blood donors, trying new blood tests, meds(if applicable, of course) etc; maybe if you asked nicely and volunteered to bring the favorite food of wichever staff member would use their pet? :| I'm pretty sure it'd work at my work, anyway :lol3: we're all food motivated !

In order for the "distribution" of the fluids to be steady enough I think you'd have to do a fair amount of poking (like I mentioned, maybe every 2 hrs or something...), but it has to be better then the current alternative.

How is he doing with the small portions of food and water?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » April 13th, 2008, 5:16 am

Oh... who knew??? :oops:
Yes, Daisy might be a good candidate to try this out on... she is tennis ball motivated and works for cheap... lol

He is keeping everything down so far... I've been giving him very tiny portions of food and small amounts of water every hour or so - he tolerates me and my nagging/prodding w/an amazing amount of patience. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 13th, 2008, 8:36 am

I'm glad he is bouncing back! I got nervous reading the other posts!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 13th, 2008, 10:01 am

I'm glad he's finally keeping some food/water down. Have YOU gotten any sleep???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » April 13th, 2008, 11:20 am

I understand Mick is a special case and has lots going on medically which demands you are extremely careful with what he eats, but as an alternative to the bland you are feeding you might ask about feeding baby food.

When Trouble was so sick she couldn't swallow and hadn't eaten for a couple of days, that was the only thing she could tolerate. It allowed me to feed her small amounts multiple times during the day.

Here's hoping you two have a good day today and continue to improve.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » April 13th, 2008, 11:30 am

Christine, you made the right decision for Mick. I know my vets (whom I love) have wanted different dogs to stay with them, for observation...but it totally freaked out two of my dogs to be away from home, so I too signed them out and brought them home.

Now Mick...listen here big guy...you are to have a good day. You are to eat everything Mom puts in front of you. No more vomiting....today is a good day...I'm quite sure he'll absolutely listen to me... :wink:
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 13th, 2008, 3:31 pm

He is keeping everything down so far... I've been giving him very tiny portions of food and small amounts of water every hour or so - he tolerates me and my nagging/prodding w/an amazing amount of patience. :wink:

That's a big improvement! I'm so glad he's a bit better!

I just wanted to mention that I keep fluids here for Kate in case he needs them, although Lisa gives them to him. (I'm sure I could if she showed me how though)

Glad to hear the positive update! Hang in there!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2008, 5:37 pm

I only just saw this...

I hope he settles down soon! Good suggestion with the baby food.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer