Please keep Mick in your thoughts today...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby amazincc » April 12th, 2008, 4:48 am

It's 4:30 in the morning... I just cleaned up vomit for the probably 10th time. Mick hasn't been eating, but I got him to try a little bit of rice and boiled chicken, and he promptly threw it up. He is throwing up every time he drinks water... and it all has the MOST god-awful smell to it.
He is positively miserable and just collapsed on his pillow, and I'll be calling the vet in a few hours.
He's tired... I'm tired... I'm barricaded in my room so he doesn't see me cry, because it upsets him.

I HATE this. :sad2: :cry: :(
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby gayrghts » April 12th, 2008, 5:04 am

Awe... poor Mick...

Why don't you take up all water, and food, for several hours to let the belly rest... and THEN after at least 4 hrs or so.... let him have some ice chips.... or an ice cube... and then very SLOWLY work up to some bland food
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 12th, 2008, 5:11 am

Oh, Christine, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope a visit to the vet for some fluids, etc will make him feel much better.
I'm keeping you both in my thoughts and sending love & hugs. I know how tough this is. (((xtra hugs)))
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pocketpit » April 12th, 2008, 5:20 am

Giant hugs and tons of good wishes coming from our household! :groupHug:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » April 12th, 2008, 6:52 am

You have all of us behind you, Christine. Positive thoughts sent your way.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » April 12th, 2008, 8:23 am

Thinking of you and sending up lots of prayers. *hugs*
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Beth » April 12th, 2008, 10:07 am

Just seeing this now. Christine, you and Mick are in my thoughts and Prayers.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby hugapitbull » April 12th, 2008, 10:08 am

I can't imagine how difficult this is for both of you. It really sucks that you are must go through all of this to make him better. Hopefully the vet can get him feeling better, and able to keep something in his tummy.

Lots of healing thoughts for Mick and supportive thoughts for you, I know you are exhausted from worry.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2008, 10:25 am

Hopefully you're at the vet by now, maybe getting some sub-q fluids... Tons of good thoughts and prayers coming from my way. I know you'll update us as soon as you can...

:goodthoughts:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2008, 10:28 am

Hugs , well wishes and a lot of prayers!!!!!!!!!!! :sad2:

My heart aches when I read things like this.

Hang in there MICK & fight the cancer!!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby SisMorphine » April 12th, 2008, 10:59 am

I just saw this. Lots of good thoughts for Mr. Mick and you Christine!!!!!!!!!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby KJS » April 12th, 2008, 11:59 am

Big amounts of best BULLY LOVE coming to you from far,far away right now!
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » April 12th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Ah Mickey...now no scaring Mom...

hopefully the vet can get things back on track
airwalk
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Any news?
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » April 12th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Oh No Mickey :( I'm glad you took him in Christine, its just been too long without proper hydration and all this pukey pukey :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 12th, 2008, 4:09 pm

We love you guys.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » April 12th, 2008, 4:18 pm

:sad2: I just got home from vacation is this is the first post I read. I am so sorry to hear that he is not feeling good. I guess I need to catch up but has he been like this long. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. Come on Mickey you can do this.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby CinderDee » April 12th, 2008, 7:58 pm

Just checking to see if there's an news.

Keeping you both in my thoughts!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » April 12th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Wow... what a loooong day, and what an ordeal...
Took Mick to the new ER clinic that Dr. Correa recommended because she was out of town.
His bloodwork was out of whack... and he lost FIVE pounds since Tuesday. :shock: :(
WBC low 2.1
Mono low 0.09
NEU low 1.25
EOS low 0.05
The rest was in the low to normal range... I'm not even sure what the above numbers really mean... like I said - it was a LONG day.
Anyway... the clinic had one long hallway, and the "rooms" are separated by curtains only... you can hear all the patients crying, squeaking, howling, etc. - very disconcerting for an already anxious animal. :neutral:
Mick received some IV fluids as well as a new anti-nausea med. They gave me an antibiotic to give at home.
He was a basket case!
He hyperventilated, had the dry heaves, and was terrified beyond reason... I finally decided to take him home (yep, against the advise of the attending vet... :oops: :cry: ) and I've been giving him 1/4 cup of water every hour, also got him to eat a little bit of rice mixed w/some wet dog food a couple of hours ago... so far, so good... it's staying down.

Beast was muzzled when we got there and while he was being worked on... however, I wasn't allowed to take off his muzzle while he was on the IV, even w/nobody present but myself (they said because of "liability reasons") and he just freaked out. I actually think he had a full-blown panic attack and after 2 1/2 hours of struggling to keep him calm I decided that enough was enough...
I'm NOT knocking the vet OR the policy... I DO understand that he is difficult and NEEDS to be muzzled... but it's hard to watch, and I think also a tad counterproductive - so, I signed him out and we went home.
The ER vet was very understanding, but did tell me that he wasn't in favor of my decision... we parted on good terms though, and I do like the clinic and the staff.

Thanks for the good thoughts... I REALLY appreciate all the support here, because today I felt like I was losing my mind.

I'm SO glad we have next week off... and, of course, once again I questioned my motives of putting him through all this crap. :confused:

He did pick me up a leaf when we left and I was in tears over it... I had no idea that it would be this hard... poor Beast is doing his best to keep ME happy... he is one of a kind.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2008, 10:14 pm

What a crappy day for you and Beastie. :( I really hope the new anti-nausea drugs work out for him. Inara asked me to have you lick his face for her. I told her you probably wouldn't, but I'm forwarding her request. On my end, I'll be happy if you just give the big lug some awesome scritches on his butt.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Next

Return to Canine Cancer