Scooter scared me

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2008, 10:18 pm

today everything is going along like normal...Scooter gets his nails trimmed, goes out into the play yard with the other personal dogs of shelter staff for about 5 minutes....I joined them to throw a ball...and Scooter appears to be having trouble breathing!

He's gagging like maybe he has an obstruction and almost panic breathing...like he can't get enough air.

Crank his mouth open to see if I can see anything....no obstruction, but his throat is fire engine red and swollen and he's having little "I can't breath attacks". So....call our vet, yep bring him right in...first question out of the vet's mouth..."what did he get in to"?

I have no clue, but his soft palettes are severaly swollen and inflamed and are virtually blocking his airway. So he ended up with a shot of dextrasomethingorother...to reduce the inflamation and hopefully that will hold until the allergic reaction is over.

Now he's laying here beside me and as long as he stays quiet then he breathes fine..otherwise..we get I can't breathe attacks!

I guess I better go walk a play yard thoroughly tomorrow to see if we can find what might of caused this.

Oh and by the way...as crappy as he felt, what a good boy! I gave him a stay...and even when they were cranking his mouth open, he layed right in one spot and never moved.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 9th, 2008, 10:31 pm

:shock: :o

Wow, I bet you aged!!! :neutral:

I am SO glad he's "okay"!!! Damn dogs. :)

Btw... could it have been a bee sting? Insect bite?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 9th, 2008, 10:34 pm

How scary! :o Good for you for not panicking! Hopefully you can find what was in the yard.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2008, 10:38 pm

amazincc wrote::shock: :o

Wow, I bet you aged!!! :neutral:

I am SO glad he's "okay"!!! Damn dogs. :)

Btw... could it have been a bee sting? Insect bite?

That was my first thought too, but vet doesn't think so since there was no exterior swelling, lump or bump..just major (the vet's word "fierce) swelling and irritation of the soft pallete.

I guess he'll just snore better than normal tonight :shock:
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 9th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Scoot... no offense, Baby Boy... you must NOT open the mouth when you go outside from now on! :rolleyes2:

Diana... Mick got stung on the inside of his lip when he was a puppy and it swelled up like a squeegee - I happened to feel the stinger by chance. Those bees are horrible evil things.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2008, 10:58 pm

yep he got stung last summer and his ear swelled like a baby watermelon, bright red and angry...but somehow this feels different like he got something that caused an almost instant reaction....yet what is weird, none of the other dogs show or showed any sign of a reaction to anything.

All I know is I really don't like it when the little boy is panicking....it's worse than when the kids were little (at least they could talk to me).
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » April 9th, 2008, 11:01 pm

He could've swallowed it... you said he was gagging first.

But, I know... it SUCKS that they can't talk!!! :)

Or... does it...??? lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Oh okay, I'm slow tonight..I didn't think about him swallowing it...in that case..yes he has to keep his mouth closed when outside of my view :shock:

and yeah there are more times I'm glad they can't talk, than times I wish they could...I figure this silence I earned when the children grew up and moved out, because god knows they never had any problem talking to me about things I would have rather not known :shock:
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 9th, 2008, 11:13 pm

Oh, that's scary! I'm glad he's ok!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » April 10th, 2008, 5:59 am

It wasn't that "backwards breathing thing" they do? I can't remember if it is a "backwards hic-up" or something, but it sounds like they are not getting air into their lungs, and their windpipe has closed. Harleybird does it all the time. :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » April 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Dexamethasone - powerful anti-inflammatory...and did they give him benadryl tablets or injection?????
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Scout » April 10th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Oh Scooter! What a bad boy for scaring your mama!! :shock: Your lucky your mama stayed calm and got you fixed up right away! Cookie sends butt scratches your way.

Hopefully you're find out what's in that yard so this doesn't happen again....is it possible for dogs to swallow bees and then get stung?
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. --Andy Rooney
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby gayrghts » April 10th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Scout wrote:Oh Scooter! What a bad boy for scaring your mama!! :shock: Your lucky your mama stayed calm and got you fixed up right away! Cookie sends butt scratches your way.

Hopefully you're find out what's in that yard so this doesn't happen again....is it possible for dogs to swallow bees and then get stung?

yes its possible, just like for human's to do so...
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Scout » April 10th, 2008, 1:49 pm

humans too? :shock:

Do you think it's possible for Scooter to have swallowed a bee then??
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby airwalk » April 10th, 2008, 4:13 pm

msvette2u wrote:Dexamethasone - powerful anti-inflammatory...and did they give him benadryl tablets or injection?????

Just the injection...I have benadryl tabs on hand for his runny nose anyway.

I'm betting after a night of thinking that he swallowed a bee. All four staff dogs were out and usually if one has found something to get into they are all right there..and no other dogs were around him or have had any reaction, and he appeared to be just grazing grass like he always does.

Joyce, we thought about reverse sneezing, but that wasn't it, he wasn't able to breath..and he's never reversed sneeze before.
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 10th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Poor baby. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 10th, 2008, 5:04 pm

He's all good this morning, right now he's trying to convince me he NEEEEEEDDDDSSSSS a bite of applie to feel all better.
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 10th, 2008, 5:19 pm

He does. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 10th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Oh he really feels all better now...1/2 an apple later...at least he has good taste, his favorites are Fuji. He's now being totally pathetic sitting next to me with his head on my lap trying to convince me he's soooo tired he can't keep his eyes open....unless I'd be willing to take him out and play ball!! Little goof ball!
airwalk
I live here

Postby Scout » April 10th, 2008, 6:12 pm

oh he's milking it for sure!! :D
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members