A Tribute To Spanky

Postby bouvierz » April 6th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Saying Goodbye to Spanky

“Spanky” came into Animal Control after being seized during a drug raid in the inner City. This little pup was found locked in a cold dark closet, alone with just a bowl of rotten milk. He was 4 weeks old and with big floppy ears and a pink nose I first thought he was a piglet. After a week at Animal Control no one came into claim the little Pit Bull puppy, so the decision was made to put him to sleep. The supervisors stated that this little (now 5 weeks old) pup was too dominate and aggressive to be safely adopted back into the community. This decision caused an uproar with the staff because in just a weeks time everyone was in love with “Spanky”. I was looking to adopt a dog but at the time I was not a Pit Bull fan. Everyone kept telling me I should adopt him and eventually I gave in, took a risk and adopted “Spanky”. I instantly thought I made a mistake, “Spanky” was a NAUGHTY Puppy. He took forever to housebreak, he chewed everything, and had very selective hearing. “Spanky” learned fast that I was the boss (or at least he let me think I was). His temperment ended up being very solid, he loved everyone and everything. He was never people or animal aggressive. He was been on TV, in schools, and malls greeting everyone in his path. “Spanky” was a wonderful ambassador for the Pit Bull breed. He was kind, affectionate, playful and full of energy. “Spanky” always made me feel safe with his presence in the house, I knew with him here nothing would ever happen to us. “Spanky” helped me to raise, and nurture hundreds of animals that came into our house. He allowed Madison and I to dress him up in all kinds of costumes and faithfully went trick or treating every year. Almost every picture of my daughter includes “Spanky” with his big Bully grin. It is hard for me to believe that this wonderful animal was almost put to sleep. I wonder how many animals, like Spanky, are put to sleep when they could mature into wonderful animals. "Spanky" has changed many people's perception of the Pit Bull Breed, Including me. After 13 years of companionship I had to let “Spanky” go, his body was failing him and he deserved to leave this world with dignity. "Spanky" was humanely euthanized on April 2nd while I hugged him and told him how much we love him.Though he is gone he will NEVER be forgotten. His pictures decorate my home, office and computer. I have faith that one day we will be reunited.

Spanky you will be greatly missed but never forgotten!!!!
WE LOVE YOU!!
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 6th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Oh no... I'm so sorry. :(

RIP Spanky...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » April 6th, 2008, 9:05 pm

RIP Spanky! Thank you for being willing to take a chance on a naughty puppy and for having the strength to let him go with dignity.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 6th, 2008, 9:10 pm

Oh, no! I am so sorry. :hug3:

Rest in Peace, Spanky.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » April 7th, 2008, 5:01 am

:(

I know how hard it is. What a wonderful selfless gift your last act for him was.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » April 7th, 2008, 5:13 am

RIP Spanky... :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » April 7th, 2008, 5:33 am

I am very sorry, Jill. Spanky's story was one of the most heartwarming stories I have heard.

He may have had a horrible start, but you showed him love for 13 years and that is what he remembered.

I believe you will meet him again someday and you will get those doggie kisses one more time.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 7th, 2008, 1:10 pm

OMG I am SO sorry! :( Run free sweet Spanky, you were SO loved.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » April 7th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Jill, I only JUST saw this!

I'm soooo sorry. I'm thankful that I had a chance to see him when I was in last week. You did right by him to the very end, not all of us are selfless enough to let them go when it is the best time for them

For those of you who were not fortunate enough to meet him in person, here are a few threads with the ol' guy

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8582

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7847

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6996
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pocketpit » April 7th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear of Spanky's passing. Thank you for sharing him with us through this forum. I just loved looking at his pictures and listening to the great stories about his breed ambassador skills. RIP handsome Spanky.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » April 7th, 2008, 5:30 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of Spanky's passing. :cry: Thanks for sharing his life with us.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » April 7th, 2008, 6:44 pm

What a heartwarming story. You were the light in his life til the very end. That's awesome.

And Michelle, thanks for the links to the pics. What a beauty, and the costume is great.

RIP Spanky.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » April 7th, 2008, 10:32 pm

My favorite picture is of him & Maddy sitting in your car. I am sure she is just heartbroken.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 7th, 2008, 10:53 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:My favorite picture is of him & Maddy sitting in your car. I am sure she is just heartbroken.

The one where she's in the ACO outfit??? I love that one too... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hey21jude » April 7th, 2008, 11:15 pm

So sorry to hear about Spanky. Sounds like he was a wonderful companion to you and your family. RIp Spanky. :hug3: for you!
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 8th, 2008, 8:01 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:My favorite picture is of him & Maddy sitting in your car. I am sure she is just heartbroken.

The one where she's in the ACO outfit??? I love that one too... :(

I couldn't find that one, it's one of my favorites as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » April 8th, 2008, 11:24 am

I'm sorry Jill...what a heartwarming story... :cry2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby KJS » April 8th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Im so sorry to read this sad news today R.I.P Spanky :(
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby bouvierz » April 9th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Thank you all so much for your sweet words. Spanky was truely a sweet, well mannered, loving boy. I was so blessed to have him with me for 13 years. I will continue to share Spanky's story with as many people I can and I will continue to teach the sweet ways of OUR special breed. Thank you again!!!
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » April 10th, 2008, 6:04 am

bouvierz wrote: I will continue to share Spanky's story with as many people I can and I will continue to teach the sweet ways of OUR special breed.

That is truly the best way to honor Spanky. He would be proud.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends