All about the forum....

Have a question/comment/concern about the board in general? Post it here

Postby mnp13 » April 4th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Ok, since I have a little time, I thought I would share the full story of the past 4 days...

I was at Jen's house for four days for a little very needed R&R. On Tuesday morning around 9 I got a text message that the forum was acting weird. I got online and saw the problem with the topics and called the host company to let them know. I called about an hour later to check on the progress of the fix. When they asked me what my trouble ticket number was I opened my email and I found an email from them from 6 that morning:

I am writing to let you know that we have moved your db to a new server. Your site was alarming in our monitoring system and it took us a while to find where the database was. It looks like you had a move of your database recently that was never finished. I have finished this move for you and your db is now on xxx.xxx.com and the site is working as it should be. If you have any problems with the new db please let us know. thank you

well, obviously, the site was not "working as it should be." They had done the move, but only checked to see if the forum looked ok, they didn't actually test it past that. I had to walk the person though the steps to actually see the error. He said he would look into it. I called an hour later to check on the status - they still hadn't figured out what the problem was. 30 minutes later I called again, and again they didn't know. I told them to put the database back the way it was that morning, and they said they'd call when it was done. they called me back and told me that it would be a $50 restore fee. I explained that it was their fault that it broke, so we wouldn't be paying anything. An hour later they called me again and told me that it was ready to be done, but needed my authorization for a different $30 fee. I again told them that it wasn't my error and I wouln't be paying anything.

They restored the database from an old version, pre-database-split, so we lost a pile of posts. then they called to tell me it was done, but that we were on the old server so the site wasn't going to be stable. I hadn't planned to go to this version of the site for at least a month because I wasn't going to have time to learn it, etc, before then. I told them to let it limp along and to ignore the alarms.

However, I firmly believe in "warnings" and even though we were back up and running, I didn't trust that the whole adventure wasn't a clear message that not upgrading was going to be a very very bad thing... so I decided to just do it.

Jen and I got home around 5:00 and I called the company to tell them to do a full database backup so that I could start the upgrade. they told me that they would get to it as soon as they could. An hour later - no backup. I shut the forum down. another hour - no backup. They promised it for 7:30. At 8:30, still no backup. I decided to purchase the new database and wing it. 9:30 I call to bitch, and they said the backup was completed at 8:50 and I should have gotten an email (no email existed.) So, now it's time to do it...

I upload the files and start the conversion process at about 10:00... mind you, I'm sitting in Jen's living room all this time... Things are going fine, then they crash. I call the company and tell them. They tell me that they'll get to it when they can, and I tell them to call me back. He sounds a little confused by that request, as it is almost midnight. They called at 1 to tell me that they had changed some settings and I should be good to go. I thought I was,and then we crashed again. I started over but at 2:30 I finally gave up on it and went to bed. I was up at 7:30 on Wednesday to try to get it going again. At 11:00 Jen "pleasantly" requested that I get off of the computer (lol) and we went out. We got back a few hours later and I took a deep breath and made the forum active. I spent another two hours hammering stuff out, then headed home about 4:15, leaving Jen and Debby to run the administration for the night.

Note that none of the staff had ever used the new forum before, and I had only used it on the phpBB Community a handful of times.

We've been winging it ever since. Jen, Debby, Liz and Jenn have been very patient with trying to figure things out for themselves and fielding as many of your questions as possible. Fryed_1 and Pit$Pull both came out of nowhere and stepped up to help us out as well, and without both of them your current forum experience would be quite a bit different.

As always, I couldn't have done this without all of the people who give up a lot of time to help keep this place running. All of you members deserve a lot of credit as well for sticking with us!

And as a final note, the host company called me to ask why I had THREE databases, when I only had two on my account. I told them I had no idea... I only knew of two and really only needed one. Evidently there was an extra copy of our database on the same server and it was named the exact same as the one that we were using, which really shouldn't happen. I told them to dump both the mystery one and the one from the old forum. I gave them a brief overview of the past few days, and they even refunded the money from the new database, yay!

So... that's the story... I'm not telling you all of it because I want a medal ;) but I hope you'll understand why I have been a little short with people over the past few days and why the staff has been extra protective of me.

Thanks everyone! I couldn't do it without you!

Love ya! Mean it! :wave2:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2008, 2:33 pm

You're my hero. :wink:

Seriously though, this got fixed a lot faster than I thought it would!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » April 4th, 2008, 3:10 pm

You have more patience than I ever will

The forum looks fantastic. Thanks to you and your crew for all your hard work :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » April 4th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I don't know what any of this means, but I am glad PBT is back. :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » April 4th, 2008, 3:26 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I don't know what any of this means, but I am glad PBT is back. :wave2:

Here, I'll simplify it for you:
Last week, the forum was working like I cook. On Tuesday, the forum starting working like you cook. Now the forum is working like Wolfgang Puck cooks.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby iluvk9 » April 4th, 2008, 3:31 pm

LMAO

Ahhhh....makes sense! :wave2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » April 4th, 2008, 8:29 pm

mnp13 wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:I don't know what any of this means, but I am glad PBT is back. :wave2:

Here, I'll simplify it for you:
Last week, the forum was working like I cook. On Tuesday, the forum starting working like you cook. Now the forum is working like Wolfgang Puck cooks.

:spit:

It really does look fantastic! Great work! :clap:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jenn » April 4th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Thank you Michelle!!! And the others for the extra help as well!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » April 4th, 2008, 10:31 pm

I think everyone did a wonderful job. :bounce: I for one am grateful, that you and others knew what the heck you were doing. I would just like to say I appreciate what you and the others do.
THANK YOU
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby gayrghts » April 4th, 2008, 10:39 pm

I think that all in all this worked out rather smoothly....

Michelle, sorry to hear that it occurred right in the MIDDLE of you trying to get a bit of R&R.

I know a lot of us were going thru withdrawl.... however I think everyone understood the situation, and I know for myself, the posts that i made, about things working differently etc were just questions and or informational pieces... as i discovered things....

I really appreciate all the help that many people gave in providing info as to finding things....

I'm glad the red is back....

I'm getting used to the rest.... and llife is good...

Now Michelle, when are you going to get some R&R? and... is there somewhere that you can go without text messages, and or computers so that you can't be bugged?
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2008, 10:42 pm

I am ever so grateful how quickly this was fixed..I work for the government...when we crash, it could be an hour, a day, a week, a month or perhaps simply never before we are working good again.
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 4th, 2008, 10:49 pm

gayrghts wrote:I think that all in all this worked out rather smoothly....

Michelle, sorry to hear that it occurred right in the MIDDLE of you trying to get a bit of R&R.

I know a lot of us were going thru withdrawl.... however I think everyone understood the situation, and I know for myself, the posts that i made, about things working differently etc were just questions and or informational pieces... as i discovered things....

I really appreciate all the help that many people gave in providing info as to finding things....

I'm glad the red is back....

I'm getting used to the rest.... and llife is good...

Now Michelle, when are you going to get some R&R? and... is there somewhere that you can go without text messages, and or computers so that you can't be bugged?

NO!!! :shock: She can never leave us unattended! We will run amok! :shock:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2008, 10:51 pm

No Deb it's just you that runs amok..the rest of us are good little boys & girls :neener:
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 4th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Look what happened when she was gone for a few days! I went to bed & ya'll destroyed the place!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Oh sure...you went to bed...I know you were sneaking around finding ways to crash us. That's the amok part!
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 4th, 2008, 11:07 pm

I've got my good eye on you Miss Diana

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Cooooollll that means you won't see what we are plotting behind your back....keep looking at me. It's all about me, It's all about I...
airwalk
I live here

Postby gordonusnret » April 5th, 2008, 8:22 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for your work and dedication to this site,and yes I like the new forum.
Gordon
gordonusnret
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Questions / Problems