Im a bad tenant.

Reference section for insurance info, dog friendly hotels, finding apartments, etc.

Postby muse » April 4th, 2008, 10:59 am

Pit bulls are not allowed in the apartment complex where mine stay. :cuss:

Soooo...

Lance is NOW a Boxer/Terrier mix and Jesse is "just visiting".

Management has never said anything to us about them being there. All of our neighbors have met them and like them. They are always on leash and there have never been any issues. Actually thats a lie.. there was one issue where they were attacked by another tenants dog, but, that dog was off leash and my dogs did nothing back. :dance:

Its been sorta a hope and a prayer thing.. IF no one complains to management about your animals, then management will not even check to see what type of dog you have. Crazy, yes, but, they have been there for nearly a year and no one has ever checked. If for any reason management needs to get into the apartment, we make sure to crate Lance in the bedroom and kennel Jesse for that day.

And so far, so good.

Soo, just because your apartment complex says NO to pitties, odds are, IF your a responsible with your dogs, no one will be the wiser if you have them. I make sure to stay away from other dogs, walk them at odd times and avoid the management building at all costs. It may not work for everyone, but it is an alternative to placing them in shelters or the dreaded craigs list. :mad2:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 4th, 2008, 11:04 am

More times than not, I read (on the forums) that someone's having to move or get rid of their dog because they snuck it into some apartment where there were not supposed to be dogs, and/or specifically pit bulls.
I'd never advise someone to do it, and that's also why we ask to speak to a landlord to get prior approval OURSELVES before adopting a dog to someone who rents.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby muse » April 4th, 2008, 11:09 am

Which is why Lance in NOW a boxer/terrier mix.. with written proof from a vet and Jesse is "just visiting".

Both had prior approval before moving in.

I was told if we had written certification for Lances breed from a vet.. which btw.. the people we adopted Lance from had him listed as a boxer mix, soo their vet classified him as the same. So yay, written proof.

And during the renting process I had Jesse with me the whole time. I specifically asked if I could bring Jesse to stay there on weekends and such, when visiting my boyfriend, I was told, sure, no problem.

So really, they are aware of both the dogs, just not that Jesse is now sorta living there too.

Make sense?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby muse » April 4th, 2008, 11:23 am

I must add..

That when that apartment was rented, Jesse was staying at a rescue 90% of the time. I would drive 45 minutes each way, about 2x a week to visit her and play with her. Usually on the weekends, I would get her and she would stay with me either at a rented hotel (no chit!) or at my boyfriends place.

That continued for a couple months.

She ended up staying there when one weekend, I just couldnt bring myself to take her back and we decided to just kinda see if anyone said anything. That was 9 months ago. Also, please know that at anytime, I could have taken her back to the rescue if there were any objections. Still can btw. :-)

I would also like to add..

I am moving within the next few months, and I will ONLY move into a place that is PB friendly.
I know I have been taking a chance, but if you have been keeping up with what Im been dealing with, its one thing in the string of many I have resorted to to keep my animals.
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2008, 2:54 pm

When I moved into my last apartment, I read the lease word for word and asked about breed restrictions. No breed restrictions were mentioned anywhere or by anyone. A few days after I moved in, they tell me that I need to either get rid of Inara or bring in documentation from my vet on what breed she is. I told them that when they could show me what I signed regarding breed restrictions that I would be more than happy to comply (Inara is a "boxer mix" at the vet), but until then they could speak to my lawyer. They never said another word. Bet they were happy when I moved though!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby muse » April 4th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Hey Liz! :wave2:

Ive found that alot of places dont so much have breed restrictions around here, as much as they have weight restrictions.

Did you get into your own house?
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 4th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Nope - renting a condo from a co-worker. The condo association doesn't have any restrictions on dogs, and my neighbors love Inara. Life is good. :mrgreen:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby muse » April 4th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Awww, thats awesome, Im glad to hear it!! :clap:
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby LaylaWoobie » April 5th, 2008, 11:14 am

wow, we must have related dogs! layla is a boxer mix too! When we got her, she was listed as a boxer mix, which is still what her papers say at the vet, so that's what she is at our apt too.

If you look at her, she's no boxer. But like you said, written documentation, suckers! :kissButt:
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 5th, 2008, 11:37 am

Anyone trying to enforce rules (or laws) wouldn't take a vet's word for it.
Vet's are biased or they wouldn't have clients.
All I can say is, more power to you, I guess...I'd never sneak in a restricted breed and chance losing the dog or my apartment.

When I was an ACO and had to enforce BSL, btw, we didn't rely on vet's testimony as to what the dog was, we got other ACO's testimony and that was good enough.
As you all know, if it LOOKS like a bully breed, it IS a bully breed, no matter what any vet records state.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » April 5th, 2008, 11:51 am

Maybe it works for you, but it is a DICEY game.
I really don't think its fair to recommend this to other people - its really a crap shoot that you'll have no neighbors and not run into the management or get busted. I think you've been extremely lucky you've made it this far; I also think its a poor reflection on the breed when an owner is "sneaky", it just gives more fuel to the stereotypical fire - I think it looks really bad. Every time I've had a positive experience with landlords and property management I'm sure to emphasize that; my last landlord I had a lot of dealings with, I made sure to give him christmas cards thanking him for letting us live in the Apt, that way maybe he'll let someone else like me do it all over again :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » April 5th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Malli wrote:Maybe it works for you, but it is a DICEY game.
I really don't think its fair to recommend this to other people - its really a crap shoot that you'll have no neighbors and not run into the management or get busted. I think you've been extremely lucky you've made it this far; I also think its a poor reflection on the breed when an owner is "sneaky", it just gives more fuel to the stereotypical fire - I think it looks really bad. Every time I've had a positive experience with landlords and property management I'm sure to emphasize that; my last landlord I had a lot of dealings with, I made sure to give him christmas cards thanking him for letting us live in the Apt, that way maybe he'll let someone else like me do it all over again :|

:goodStuff:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby muse » April 5th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Malli wrote:Maybe it works for you, but it is a DICEY game.

I wasnt at all sneaky. I had written documentation from a vet about Lances breed and I asked about Jesse staying over, which IS allowed. What is not allowed is her living there.. now there I AM being sneaky. BUT, I have safeguards in place where if there ever is a problem, I have a solution.

Considering the situation I am in with my dogs, this is the only option I have to have her with me. In a few months, when I get my own apartment, I will be upfront with her breed, I wouldnt think about sneaking her in. In this particular situation though, having had her staying there for months on end, with permissions on the weekends, with out one sinlge complaint, I took the chance. And, I would do it again.

Ive missed her. :(
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby DropkickPA » April 5th, 2008, 4:34 pm

No breed restrictions on my lease, but I made sure to get the dog permission in writing in the lease. Around here, it's not so much breed restiction (I've actually never heard of any) but "no dog" policies in general. Which I will never understand. I've turned down dozens of places in the past because they stink like cat. No thank you!
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby delilahsmommy » May 27th, 2008, 3:06 pm

when i moved into my apt i told the landlord i was planning on getting a pitbull he said that was fine as long as i was a responsible owner and then we looked into getting a cute lil puppy from rescue and i was told that we are not allowed pitbuls...so i called asking if i had to get rid of Delilah and he said no the owner just didnt want any more "vicouse breeds" being put into the building...and he knows Delilah he plays with her alllll the time and she shows him lovin it just pee me off that the hill billies can have 3 dogs all of bully breed or mix that run loose all the time and i have seen them attack other dogs....err i dont like the hill billys..... :mad2: plus i know there dogs are good with people just not trained or given anything to do besides be crated....
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Return to Living with your Pit Bull