The Controversial Pit Bull

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 5:43 pm

I would say if you are on the floor talking to the dog, and he is completely uninterested, then you may have an aloof dog. Of course the dog may also be stressed, and inattention is a stress behavior. Not an easy thing to read in a shelter.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 23rd, 2006, 6:03 pm

if i brought rufus to one of her seminars like on her video, he would be interested in everyone and everything else other then sue sternberg. if she brought out a doll baby he would think it was a toy. he would also jump on her, and be a royal pain. he would fail her test thats for sure.. yet he is a great dog, and is certified for therapy work. i would love to bring him and pretend he is from a shelter and see what she says about him.. alot of dogs dont do good in shelters. and alot are not lovey dovey. she prefers the fearful dogs that cower and show submission
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pLaurent » March 23rd, 2006, 6:26 pm

A dog doesn't look at her, it's "aloof" and should be euthed. A dog who does look her in the eye is "dominant aggressive" and should be euthed, likewise a dog who growls while playing tug, especially if it's a pit bull.

This from someone who had a child biter as her "Pet of the Month". The dog was not a pit bull and didn't actually "break the skin" so it was okay.

Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/phonyroniredbone/
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby aurora » March 23rd, 2006, 7:05 pm

yikes, that link has some scary stuff.
aurora
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

Wow.

I an only imagine that being the decider of so many dog's fates must have eventually caused her to lose it. Sad, really sad.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » March 23rd, 2006, 9:53 pm

Would she be the author of the test that they use on Animal Cops shows, on animal planet?

Or did the test where the behaviorists were making '' baby cry'' noises and used a plastic baby to ''test" a Chow to see if he was good with kids was just inspired from SS's bright plastic-clad ideas?
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Maryellen » March 23rd, 2006, 9:55 pm

yep. her assess a pet is used all over the us. the humane societies praise her like you wouldnt believ..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby panda » March 24th, 2006, 3:07 am

Maryellen wrote:yep. her assess a pet is used all over the us. the humane societies praise her like you wouldnt believ..

Then they are idiots.

Just like a local shelter here that uses her tests to determine which pit bulls will be euthanized.
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 24th, 2006, 8:54 am

To be fair, most of her test, WHEN PROPERLY ADMINISTERED is a good indicator of personality. I would have added a caveat with each test that there are reactions (such as tugging loudly) which slate the dog to a savvy home only, as opposed to a normal pet home. None of my dogs would have been good in a normal pet home. But the methodology itself is not flawed. It sounds like her metrics of what is an adoptable dog when she herself administers the test is off the chart unreasonable.

SHe was the first to write all this down, and deserves some credit there. However it does seem she has gone of the deep end.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » March 24th, 2006, 11:30 am

OK. I'm sorry, but no matter how you give a test, how can a dog mistake a kid's plastic baby for a real one? I'm not a trainer, but I know that if I wiggle a stuffy in my arms my dog will nibble it, but she sure dosen't nibble on my niece. How is that accurate in any way?

Sure it's a good thing to have that kind of tests, but they need to be properly done, and to be set in realistic limits.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pLaurent » March 24th, 2006, 3:17 pm

My Chloe might very well grab a piece of hand-shaped rubber that was shoved and waggled under her nose, and she does growl very loudly when she tugs.

She has no problem identifying human beings vs rubber toys, but I fear were she in the hands of Sue "Hitler" Sternberg (her name for herself) that this would be her sentence.:p

"Off with her head!"
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 24th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Munkee & Justice BOTH would grab that hand & destroy it before she could blink. HER hand, they would ignore & let her take food from their MOUTHS if she so chose.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby panda » March 24th, 2006, 3:59 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Munkee & Justice BOTH would grab that hand & destroy it before she could blink. HER hand, they would ignore & let her take food from their MOUTHS if she so chose.

same with my dogs ~ plastic is a huge turn on for them
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 24th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I think if a dog is severely food aggressive, the hand would work. The iffy ones, or ones in play drive, it would not. As I said, a good tester would see the difference between a toy drive bite/tug on the hand, and a snap with food aggression.

My point is the test itself is not without merit. I don't think she is a genius for figuring it out though, she is just the first to write it down.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk