How NOT to Break Up a Dog Fight-GRAPHIC VIDEO

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Marinepits » March 26th, 2008, 11:59 am

On Wed, Mar 26 2008, 11:49 AM, Michele wrote:
A break stick, used incorrectly, can break teeth. A break stick, aimed incorrectly can end up in a dog's eye. The dogs don't hold still and wait for you to stick it in where it belongs, you're trying to control the movements of both dogs to get the aim right. there is no way I want a pointed stick near my dog's face while it is moving around - and the other dog will be adding to that movement.

I agree. All i've ever said in this thread is that it is another "OPTION", that's it. Is it for everyone, absolutely not. Is it for every situation, absolutely not. Just another option.

Ditto. If my dogs are in a fight, I want EVERY available option at hand to get them off each other BEFORE they are seriously hurt. If I choke them off, use a stick, a bucket of water, or ju jitsu them into submission -- whatever works to keep damage to a minimum. That's the bottom line for me.

And, yes, I've made sure to learn how to use a break stick correctly just in case I might ever need one.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 12:01 pm

On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:
On March 26 2008, 11:38 AM, Michele wrote:
On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:
On March 26 2008, 10:43 AM, Michele wrote:How old is your Pit Bull, Michele? Has he/she ever been in a fight... and how did you handle it?

I do not own a pit bull. I own a chihuahua. What difference does it make? I know a few people that have used this device with success. It's an option, that's it. The other options given in this thread are also very good.

Oh... :?
The way you post makes it sound like you have personal experience... isn't it a little dangerous to dispense advise when you have never used a break stick yourself to break up a Pit Bull fight??? :wink:
I think it makes a HUGE difference to someone like me who DOES own a Pit Bull, and who is trying to learn and soak up as much good info as possible - I wouldn't presume to give you advise on chihuahua-related issues, having never dealt w/one personally. :)

With all due respect, me not owning a pit bull has nothing to do with the level of experience and knowledge I have with regard to this breed. And if you read all my posts in this thread, I never once put anyone down for other methods used to break up dog fights. And if you were educated enough regarding chihuahuas, I would certainly have no problems whatsoever taking advice from you, even if you never owned one.

If I am not sure about something, I won't post it.

But that's my point, Michele... you DON'T have first-hand knowledge OR personal experience w/break sticks OR have ever broken up a fight w/one. Yet you are VERY adamant about telling people that it's an excellent way to break up a fight... as another option.
No, you didn't put anyone down and I didn't accuse you of that. :wink:
I can educate myself on paper and by watching people on all kinds of subjects... but it wouldn't make me an expert, and I wouldn't feel comfortable advising others to do something that could be potentially VERY dangerous for everyone involved, dogs AND humans alike.
Anyway - I don't want to fight w/you... I was honestly under the impression that you had hands-on experience. :)

There are other ways to break up a dog fight. All i'm saying is that a break stick is another option IF you know how to use one and IF you can use it in the situation you are in. that's it. I'm not adamant at all about it. I have already stated in this thread that ALL the other options are good too. I'm very comfortable with what I just said. I don't go around saying: you have to use a break stick. You have to know what you are doing and know when you can use one and when you cannot use one.
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 12:02 pm

It's all good... :wink: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 12:05 pm

On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:It's all good... :wink: :hug3:

:mrgreen:

I do think that most people should be using other ways to break up a dog fight. If I had a pit bull, I would carry a break stick to hit the humans over the head with it if anyone dissed my dog..LOL...
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 12:08 pm

THAT is an excellent idea!!!
Now I may actually get one for just that purpose... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Michele » March 26th, 2008, 12:09 pm

On March 26 2008, amazincc wrote:THAT is an excellent idea!!!
Now I may actually get one for just that purpose... lol

either that, or get a chihuahua...they will kick anyone's butt..LOL
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby sweetcoral81 » March 26th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Wow that was a hard video to watch. Poor doggies.
"Knowledge isn't information, it's transformation." ~Osho
sweetcoral81
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » March 26th, 2008, 4:03 pm

I agree with Jen totally. Whatever you need to do... do.

Honestly, I have never really understood the break-stick and I can't for the life of me see how a 4 inch piece of wood will do any good against two pit bulls that want to kill each other. It just seems too complicated.

... but thats just me.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 26th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but break sticks shouldn't be used on any other breed of dog BUT pit bulls (so I've read). So if a non-pit latches onto your pit, a break stick still won't come in handy. I've never used one, have no experience with dog fights, so I'm not speaking with experience. However, if (god forbid) Inara ever gets into it with another dog, my first instinct is going to be to choke her off.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby bahamutt99 » March 26th, 2008, 6:10 pm

On March 24 2008, 1:44 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:I wonder how well she liked having the other dog hanging off of her face. Was that somehow MORE pleasant then being choked for a second or two?

Since folks are still chewing up my post several days after I stopped responding, the fight lasted about 10 seconds. About 3 seconds after the stick materialized. Next time I'll tell the asshole if he's going to be stupid with his dog and let her run up on mine, make sure to choke him rather than break him off. Because some say that's better.

Done with this, really. There seems to be this desperate need to be right, and to tear down what others would do. I've really had my fill of the attitude, thanks. :greenWave:
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby amazincc » March 26th, 2008, 6:27 pm

On March 26 2008, 6:10 PM, bahamutt99 wrote:
On March 24 2008, 1:44 PM, cheekymunkee wrote:I wonder how well she liked having the other dog hanging off of her face. Was that somehow MORE pleasant then being choked for a second or two?

Since folks are still chewing up my post several days after I stopped responding, the fight lasted about 10 seconds. About 3 seconds after the stick materialized. Next time I'll tell the poopoo hole if he's going to be stupid with his dog and let her run up on mine, make sure to choke him rather than break him off. Because some say that's better.

Done with this, really. There seems to be this desperate need to be right, and to tear down what others would do. I've really had my fill of the attitude, thanks. :greenWave:

No attitude... :|

Some of us have never been in that situation, and it WOULD be easier for a novice to choke the dog off rather than trying to insert a piece of wood into a pair of snapping jaws...

I've been bitten before, and I don't want my hands anywhere NEAR a set of teeth... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » March 26th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Looks like you are the only one with attitude. Breaksitck your heart out, I don't care. If one should find themselves in a situation where a breakstick would be useless to them ( but of course THAT never happens. there's your attitude :wink: ) then it just might be beneficial for them to know there are other means in which to stop a dog fight.

Your situation was 2 people, one dog wanting to fight, the other one not. WE are talking about 1 person with two dogs wanting to fight. A bit of a difference one would think.

Shame people can't have a conversation these days in which there is more than one opinion. I've never said a breakstick is useless, I just said it wasn't the best thing to do in every situation. As have the majority of the peopel in this thread.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby madremissy » March 26th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Yes we are still talking about it because there are people like me :mrgreen: on here who think up every scenario possible and worry. :shock: I would ask a million questions if someone didn't cover the subject with one, two or three dogs. I would like to know different options I can use in each circumstance. I don't see anyone giving attitude, just their own personal opinions. I take what I need from the different opinions and store that in my mind.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby a_nomad » March 26th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I'd like to say what a great topic, i have heard of and done some research on the break stick, and often thought, how are you meant to get in the right spot in the middle of a dog fight, and if you have never used it, how do you know your going to get it right. i hadnt heard of the choke method before, and can say that i am relieved to know of another way to break a dog of a bite.
a_nomad
Just Whelped

Postby airwalk » March 26th, 2008, 10:37 pm

or ju jitsu them into submission

sorry but somehow that strikes my funny bone...Jen I can just see you...Hi Ya! take that you silly big biting doggies...Hi Ya! :backRoll: :backRoll:
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 27th, 2008, 6:39 am

LMAO

It wasn't me who came up with that idea! I was pretty impressd with my husband when he grabbed Mac and submitted him (Mac went after Indy). :lol3:.

I still say whatever works for you. Separate those dogs with minimum damage caused to all involved. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2009, 4:48 pm

:bump:

Just wanted to bump this up due to recent events in some people's households. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby jnreem » April 13th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Well for one I am glad I clicked on this post, because Buddy is STRONG as an ox now and I found myself struggling to hold him back from an unleashed dog the other day and they didn't have any contact because Buddy always has his choker chain on when he goes outside the house and I managed to get him away but IF he had gotten aggressive I think I would have panicked so i am glad I know what to do now and watching the video makes me sick, I couldn't imagine watching my dog like that. UGH :( Helpful post tho.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby demolitionic » April 14th, 2009, 1:05 am

Squish and Phoenix have had 2 fights, and both times had to be choked to be separated. I'm glad I knew what to do, otherwise, it could have been a LOT worse than it was.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby furever_pit » June 21st, 2009, 12:18 pm

I, personally, prefer to choke off a dog in a fight. I have had to do it to Dylan a few times when we were charged by an off lead dog and he grabbed hold. I also think that prevention is key, even in the circumstances where an off lead dog charges you. I have no problem getting in front of an oncoming dog and dealing with it myself.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk