Flyball Times

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby maberi » March 25th, 2008, 11:40 am

What are avg. times for a flyball run for a dog?
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Depends on the dog...structure, temperament, drive, etc.

Inara is the fastest on our team...regularly running in the low 4's. She's built for speed and quick turns. Xander and Sawyer run in the mid to high 4's. Ripley when he was running ran in the mid 5's...he's not built for this...he jumped high and didn't have much drive.

We have a whole mess of breeds on our team...and they run from the mid 7's to the low 4's. The standard poodles run from mid 5's to mid 7's. We have a keeshond that runs in the mid 6's. We have an AmStaff that runs in the high 4's. And so on.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » March 25th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Thanks

Earl is definitely NOT built for flyball (long, gangley and loaffy)

He is running in the mid 5s now but is still very hesitant with the box and is MUCH slower on the way back than on the way to the ball (tends to enjoy his run back like it is a stroll in the park).

Any ideas on how to improve his drive back to you? Some people have these squirrel skin things they wave around like mad. Maybe I'll try something like this.

On March 25 2008, TheRedQueen wrote:Depends on the dog...structure, temperament, drive, etc.

Inara is the fastest on our team...regularly running in the low 4's. She's built for speed and quick turns. Xander and Sawyer run in the mid to high 4's. Ripley when he was running ran in the mid 5's...he's not built for this...he jumped high and didn't have much drive.

We have a whole mess of breeds on our team...and they run from the mid 7's to the low 4's. The standard poodles run from mid 5's to mid 7's. We have a keeshond that runs in the mid 6's. We have an AmStaff that runs in the high 4's. And so on.
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2008, 4:56 pm

On March 25 2008, 11:22 AM, maberi wrote:Thanks

Earl is definitely NOT built for flyball (long, gangley and loaffy)

He is running in the mid 5s now but is still very hesitant with the box and is MUCH slower on the way back than on the way to the ball (tends to enjoy his run back like it is a stroll in the park).

Any ideas on how to improve his drive back to you? Some people have these squirrel skin things they wave around like mad. Maybe I'll try something like this.

On March 25 2008, TheRedQueen wrote:Depends on the dog...structure, temperament, drive, etc.

Mid 5's...nothing to sneeze about! I'd love to have some mid-5's dogs. ;) Our team is getting older and slower. lol And if he's starting there, he'll just get faster as he gains more confidence. 8)

What are you using right now for his reward? If he likes tugs but also likes treats...have you tried a tug that you can put food into? That's what I'm using for Score to wean him off the treats that we originally used. I'd like to get him on just a tug eventually.

Treat tugs
http://www.genuinedoggear.com/Merchant2 ... _food_toys

I have this one for Score, but he ripped through it pretty quickly...I like the others better.
http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fusea ... rentCat=22

Do you do any handler runs with him? Have someone else handle him right up by the box...and you stand right next to the box. Once he's released to go to the box, you take off running down the side of the jumps...and he has to whip off the box and catch up to you at the end. :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby maberi » March 25th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Oh I've done quite a few of these and of course Earl runs like the wind after Dad :|

Those tug treats sound like a great idea. Earl is pretty food motivated and a toy combined with food just might be the ticket

Thanks for the idea :wink:

Do you do any handler runs with him? Have someone else handle him right up by the box...and you stand right next to the box. Once he's released to go to the box, you take off running down the side of the jumps...and he has to whip off the box and catch up to you at the end.
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » March 25th, 2008, 9:03 pm

On March 25 2008, 7:20 PM, maberi wrote:Oh I've done quite a few of these and of course Earl runs like the wind after Dad :|

Those tug treats sound like a great idea. Earl is pretty food motivated and a toy combined with food just might be the ticket

Thanks for the idea :wink:

Do you do any handler runs with him? Have someone else handle him right up by the box...and you stand right next to the box. Once he's released to go to the box, you take off running down the side of the jumps...and he has to whip off the box and catch up to you at the end.

The treat tugs are nice too...because you can toss them past you, so they don't learn to stop right at you...and slow down. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby LaylaWoobie » March 26th, 2008, 12:51 am

I'm totally stealing these ideas...

Good job Matt.. :giggle:

I wonder what Layla runs...all I ever see is her big butt.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 26th, 2008, 5:48 am

On March 25 2008, maberi wrote:Earl is definitely NOT built for flyball (long, gangley and loaffy)

:giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 26th, 2008, 9:29 am

On March 26 2008, 4:48 AM, iluvk9 wrote:
On March 25 2008, maberi wrote:Earl is definitely NOT built for flyball (long, gangley and loaffy)

:giggle:

I should mention that I've seen some REALLY gangly tall dogs turn in some REALLY fast times.

There is a Rhodesian ridgeback (Beep Beep) that used to run up in NJ, but is now in NC. He's really tall and skinny...built more like a sighthound than the stocky ones I see around here. That tall drink of water turns in low 4's...with an awesome box turn! Looks like he could take two hurdles in one leap. :shock:

There used to be a small Great Dane running in NC...box turn, mid 4's times.

Link to pic of the RR
http://www.flyballdogs.com/jersey_devil ... assicL.jpg

TheRedQueen

Return to Sports