Tallulah and therapy

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 1:11 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this, just a little brag. I took Tallulah to the nursing home today, we are now going once a week. She was awesome, and we ended up doing a lot of obedience there. She was focused, solid, and calm, I was amazed. She heeled, sat, down, stay, come, what a girl! All this in a very distracting environment!

Of course then they get out this huge blue ball for the exercise program. Out comes the little troll, vibrating because she wants that ball so much. So we put her on the edge of a circle of wheel chairs, and everyone played ball with her. They would kick it to her, and she would bash it with her head back to someone else. Everyone was roaring with laughter, and the residents put a lot of energy into getting that ball back to her. They got exercise and a good laugh, and i got a tired bull terrier.

She also got to socialize with a wonderful pair of Goldens, which is essential. Since we got Tess, she has been very reactive around other dogs. She relaxed with the goldens, and ended up walking around with them after a while. (I keep her separated if there are other dogs there, and we let them meet outside away from residents)

All in all, we had a very good visit. Everyone likes her because she is so funny looking, AND they love her foot trick, where she puts her feet on mine and dances with me!

Anyone else here do therapy?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 23rd, 2006, 1:16 pm

I do therapy with Ruby (major bitch/whine thread will go up later on today). She is on the quiet and timid side, but she does well and in some ways that makes her easier to approach for the people who are scared.

I like doing it, and though she gets stressed, she likes it as well. We have two places we go regularly - the psyche center and the airport. She PULLS from the second we get out of the car to get into the buildings faster. By the time we're done she is usually pulling to get out, but that's ok with me.

when she shows signs of discomfort we excuse ourselves for a few minutes and give her some space.

Every so often she picks someone out and stands infront of them with her head in their lap. Once she's done this, we're done for the day because she does nothing but pull to get back to them. We spend the rest of the visit hanging out with that person.
Last edited by mnp13 on March 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 23rd, 2006, 1:26 pm

That emoticon needs to be added!

Sounds like a awesome visit! :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 1:39 pm

I will get pics next week then. Hopefully with the big blue ball!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 1:41 pm

Oh and I pm'd you but I don't know if you got it or it was deleted but Munkee LOVES the tug you sent him! He sleeps with it & so far has NOT destroyed it...........which for HIM is a first. Munkee thanks you!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 23rd, 2006, 1:58 pm

i do therapy with rufus,he is certified with Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs. we go to the local hospital every saturday for the mental health ward (where he picks a person and lays in their lap )and rehab, the nursing home once a month, and the elementary school for the 2nd grade kids to read to him.. and for debby, here are pictures...

Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 2:05 pm

That top one is one of my favorites!! The looks on their faces is pure joy!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 3:42 pm

That is so cool. I too like the top pic! I was thinking once she gets more expirience we should try the place my SIL works, with handicapped folks.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Asta » March 23rd, 2006, 3:50 pm

Oh what a wonderfully positive thread :D I get a little bit teary just reading about it, so i am almost (no not really...) happy that there are no pics ;) Bring them on! And keep on spreading the positive image :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Image1 » March 23rd, 2006, 3:53 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Anyone else here do therapy?

I believe there is a few on the forum that do. My Homer is registered with Delta Society and Lend A Heart as a therapy dog.

Who is your dog registred with?

Heres a few pics of Hom-Boy..

Image1
Just Whelped

Postby Image1 » March 23rd, 2006, 3:55 pm

Damn links. Lets try this again....

Image1
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 3:59 pm

Homer is so handsome!

We are not registered. We go with a group of local dog owners, just for fun. We had to show proof of rabies, and that is all.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 25th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Sounds like you did a great job! Congrats!

dogcrazyjen wrote:Homer is so handsome!

We are not registered. We go with a group of local dog owners, just for fun. We had to show proof of rabies, and that is all.

I have thera-pits too.
You may really want to look into getting certified so you have more options on visiting a variety of places :P
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:You may really want to look into getting certified so you have more options on visiting a variety of places :P

Certifications also gets you insurance just in case...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 26th, 2006, 9:00 am

Yeah, I know, but I don't know if she would pass. She is not 100% with all other dogs, I just keep a real eye on the other dogs there and tell everyone to keep away. She also is not real calm, as I said, their exercise ball had her flipping out (in a good way.) I always thought if there was a WWF nursing home it would be the place for her!

However, she IS 100% with people, so I don't worry about her getting into trouble, and I do not take my eyes off her for a nano second when I am there.

I am hoping she will be able to take the test at the bullympics, we have been working towards that.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 26th, 2006, 9:46 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Yeah, I know, but I don't know if she would pass. She is not 100% with all other dogs, I just keep a real eye on the other dogs there and tell everyone to keep away. She also is not real calm, as I said, their exercise ball had her flipping out (in a good way.) I always thought if there was a WWF nursing home it would be the place for her!

However, she IS 100% with people, so I don't worry about her getting into trouble, and I do not take my eyes off her for a nano second when I am there.

I am hoping she will be able to take the test at the bullympics, we have been working towards that.

Start working with her more around other dogs. They do not really have to interact besides walking by another dog in the tests . Also always work /run her really good before visits and before the test make sure the dog is pooped out

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 26th, 2006, 4:48 pm

Yes, that IS key, she is much better tired. Last visit this week she hung out with the two goldens and that was good. She wasn't interested in them, she was more people oriented, but she was standing around with them no problem.

She actually was pretty good until this year with other dogs. It turns out she was allergic to her food, and it caused all sorts of behavioral issues, from licking feet to dog aggression to spinning. I put her on home made diet for 3 months, then switched to a better food, and she is back to normal. I am just trying to undo the crankiness that seemed to creep in due to the allergy. It took months to make the connection that it was the food.

I agree, I have been clicking her around other dogs for attention to me. I just need to ween her off food, since we cannot have food there at the test.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 14th, 2006, 3:18 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Yes, that IS key, she is much better tired. Last visit this week she hung out with the two goldens and that was good. She wasn't interested in them, she was more people oriented, but she was standing around with them no problem.

She actually was pretty good until this year with other dogs. It turns out she was allergic to her food, and it caused all sorts of behavioral issues, from licking feet to dog aggression to spinning. I put her on home made diet for 3 months, then switched to a better food, and she is back to normal. I am just trying to undo the crankiness that seemed to creep in due to the allergy. It took months to make the connection that it was the food.

I agree, I have been clicking her around other dogs for attention to me. I just need to ween her off food, since we cannot have food there at the test.

How old is she? The aggression could also be a sign of her maturity

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Pit Bull Talk