Charges Dropped....

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » March 22nd, 2006, 2:29 pm

I wore make-up, mid-drift shirts, and shirts with tiny holes in them from 6th grade on.

But my mother was a SUPER CONTROLLING BIZNATCH!! I wore what I wore (fishnets, black lipstick, etc) but I always did my school work and never got in trouble. I followed her rules until I got to college in 2000. I was a virgin until well after I turned 18. Then all hell broke loose.

Now as an adult I will sometimes look at kids and be like "oooh, skank ho, how do you get out of the house looking like that" but then realize that when I was her age I dressed to the same equivilent that was crazy at that time.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 22nd, 2006, 3:19 pm

I was an early teen when Madonna came on the scene. I remember at 13 dressing in fishnets and miniskirts, and being a virgin too. I also remember getting called a slut and being nearly beaten by overweight insecure girls who did not like the boys staring at me.

I was doing it because of lack of self esteem. If I had self esteem, I would never have dressed or acted like that. The other girls were reacting because they too had no self esteem-if they had they would have ignored me.

That said, I lured in boys who were WAY to immature to be able to handle that sort of overt sexuality. And I also lured in men I was too immature to deal with. I got what I wanted-attention from boys, but it was NOT what I needed nor what I could cope with.

Parents need to step up to the plate and say no to these kids. I allow my children liberty with thier looks-long hair, drawn-on clothing (artwork with sharpies, not meaning really tight), etc, but it must be age appropriate. If I had girls there would be limits as to skirt length etc. Sure, they could TRY to change at school, but you never know when mom will show up, :twisted: also I know people who work at the school.

Here is my take on life:

Every child comes with a manual by God telling parents how to raise said child.

The grandmothers steal it.

It is a conspiracy to keep parents in the dark. After we have our own children, we are so bitter at how hard it is, we steal their manuals when they have children.

It is a viscious, bitter cycle.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Miles » March 22nd, 2006, 6:35 pm

I would have totally taken advantage of that older woman's depression if I was 14. Hell I'd still hit it, she's hot!
Miles
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » March 23rd, 2006, 12:00 pm

I remember dressing provacatively (sp!?) and "luring men" but you're right it always leads to heartache that kids are too young to handle.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one shocked and offended by this trend.
"Objectified" is a good term.
Even when we tried to limit and not allow our oldest girl to dress trashy, she snuck clothing to school and changed there.
What's the height of irony is that they say "Let them do it, they are expressing their 'individuality'", but you're right, it's peer pressure...but I still have to go back to the designers and ask "Where did these trends ORIGINATE"?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 12:29 pm

I let my daughter wear pretty much what ever she wanted to but I never caught her wearing anything revealing. If her skirt was a little short she would wear short shorts under it. I was actually pretty proud of her.

When I was in school we had STRICT dress codes, I got sent home MORE than once. We couldn't even wear jeans until my freshman year. If they were too tight, holey, your shirt was too short, your skirt was too short, you were sent home to change and come back. Of course I never came back.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Off-Topic