Sheepish Puppy

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 22nd, 2006, 10:20 pm

I'm working on getting Inara to "down" and "stay" while I throw her toys. I want her to wait for my permission before racing after it. She's doing pretty well considering this is the first night trying it. But it's so cute - if she breaks her stay before I give permission, I raise my voice and say "young lady!" and she comes skulking back into the room, head down, no toy, looking at me with giant eyes. Then after she's down again, I say "go get it!" and she races off. It's very cute. I think I just love her sheepish look when she messes up. :loveU:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Purple » March 22nd, 2006, 10:24 pm

LOL, Hopscotch and I are working on the same thing tonight!! Gotta love those eyes!
Purple
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 23rd, 2006, 9:25 am

We are still trying to just get the down with Tess. She has it with a cookie, but I didn't work it with play drive, and it is a whole different beast! She tries to push to the toy, I hold her forehead, and the rest of her slumps down. It is pretty funny!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 23rd, 2006, 10:21 am

I was surprised how quickly Inara learned the down. She was very resistant for the first 2-3 days, but now if she's not sure what I want, she offers that. Even if I ask for sit, she often lies down instead. It's forcing me to go back to practicing "sit" with her and rewarding her before she lies down!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » March 23rd, 2006, 2:33 pm

One of the things that I did with my little one to teach the sit and the down (then the down with stay before releasing to get a toy) was this:

I made sure my dog did sit EVERY time I told her to. When she did, I started working on the down. Once she had the down reliably, I went from a down, right to a sit, then right back to a down, and so on. So, rather than being released between each one, I made her do them alternatingly. Every time she did one, I would praise her for a "good sitz" or a "good auf" (sorry, her commands are Dutch). I think this allowed her to differentiate between the sit and the down.

To teach the stay, I put her in a down, and told her to "bleiben." Then I took the toy, and dropped it down about a foot from her, counted to 3, then released her. i did this a few times, then counted to 10. After counting to 10, I dropped the toy to be 3 feet from her, and so on. Then 10 feet....

The stay training was definitely more of a test for me (my patience) than for her!!!! :shocker:

If she got up during any of these times, I snatched the toy up, put her right back where she was, and did it again. It didn't take that long for her to figure it out.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Training & Behavior