How NOT to Break Up a Dog Fight-GRAPHIC VIDEO

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » March 16th, 2008, 9:43 pm

I have choked off 2 dogs. I was alone. A break stick would have been useless to me as I had nothing to tie either dog WITH or TO. I do have several breaksticks & have used them. It isn't as easy as it sounds, trust me. It works better if only ONE dog is fighting but if you have 2 dogs tangleing, it is not the best or easiet way to take control of the situation. I know this from experience. In fact, the only way I was able to get Munkee of of Justice was to poke him in the eye with it. There was no place TO insert a breakstick. He got an accidental poke & let go long enough for my brother to grab Justice & take off with her.

Yes, had this guy in the video had a breakstick it might have helped but that is not always the case. It's better than what these guys did but it is not the only way. Nor, IMO, the most effective. Besides, jsut because you break off THAT bite doesn't mean the dog is going to stop. I have seen dogs regrip after being broken off.

There is not a 'one size fits all' solution. You do what works best for you.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby airwalk » March 16th, 2008, 9:58 pm

off THAT bite doesn't mean the dog is going to stop. I have seen dogs regrip after being broken off.

All too often that has been my experience...if you break off one bite, they simply reengage in another location and often with even more ferocity than before.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Michele » March 17th, 2008, 8:21 am

On March 16 2008, amazincc wrote:I think for the average dog owner the choking-off option would probably be safer and quicker for all involved???

It wouldn't be a good idea to start fumbling around nervously while one dog has a hold on the other... when Mick was attacked I plucked him right off the street (since he was still small), but not before some bites were exchanged by all the dogs... one of them was in my hand.
I am not criticizing your method... just wanted to know if you had ever tried it personally... :wink:

I guess I'm a chicken at heart. Canine teeth and possible pain scare me. :neutral:

no problems and frankly, canine teeth scare me too....my chihuahua's teeth scare me...LOL
Fight BSL
Michele
Loyally Bully

Postby DropkickPA » March 17th, 2008, 3:28 pm

On March 16 2008, 4:55 AM, bahamutt99 wrote:You know what struck me as so idiotic about the situation? The dog owner patting his dog on the side and saying "c'mon girl, c'mon girl, let him go." All that dog is thinking is, "daddy's petting me and talking nice! I'm doing good!"

I would have been barking out "No! Bad dog! Leave it! Baaaaaad dog!No!" And I would have poked her in the eye if I for some reason couldn't choke her off the other dog.

I've broken up fights when I used to work at the shelter, and choking off always worked the best for us and was what we did in the rare instances that two dogs got each other (happened very rarely, but it did happen).
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby call2arms » March 17th, 2008, 8:17 pm

I'm thinking also with a break stick, your dog might not end up biting you... But the other dog's mouth is close by, too.

Avoid fights. Especially avoid loose pit bulls on the streets, especially if there's a camera crew and ACO just strutting by. I'm sorry but it seemed slightly set up for me, too. I guess the ACO + TV truck was in the right place at the right time.

I just told my innocent boyfriend to choke the dog with the leash if a fight ever happened... He looked slightly astonished.

By the way he rarely ever walks Jessie, so it's not like he's been going to the dog park without knowing, :mrgreen: I do all the hard work in this house...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby bahamutt99 » March 18th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Sorry guys, but I just can't absorb the idea that choking a dog is better for them than prying their mouth open. Quicker in a pinch where you don't have your stick ready, sure. I've had to break up more fights than I care to admit where all I could do was choke them off, and while it will do in a pinch, its not the neatest option. If two of mine ever get in a fight, I'll be going for my sticks. I also carry a stick in my tote bag when I'm out at events and such.

That said, I do like the idea of knowing different methods for getting a dog out of a hold. There are situations where a stick might not work, like if a dog had a grip on something larger where their jaws were already partly open. Its good to be able to improvise when needed. But to suggest that breaking sticks usually don't work really just encourages people to not have that available to them.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby DemoDick » March 18th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Sorry guys, but I just can't absorb the idea that choking a dog is better for them than prying their mouth open.

It's not a big deal at all. I've been choked out dozens of times. It's actually kind of pleasant. Leaves you with a headache though.

Besides, we're talking about a dog fight here. The most important thing is to get the dogs apart as fast as possible to prevent further damage. Bites do a heck of a lot more damage than a momentary neck constriction.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » March 18th, 2008, 5:43 pm

If two of mine ever get in a fight, I'll be going for my sticks. I also carry a stick in my tote bag when I'm out at events and such.

how does one person break up two dogs that have ahold of each other with a break stick?

For example: Dog A has ahold of Dog B's neck, B has ahold of A's face. Even of you manage to back tie one of the dogs, there are two mouths to open. If you open A's mouth, B is still attached. When you let go of A to open B, A is going to re-attach. Maybe I'm missing something? :|

for me, lifting up on A and B's collars until they make the decision to either breath or let go is much less complicated.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby call2arms » March 18th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Maybe Bahamutt also carries tiny, yet strong leprechauns in her tote bag. They just jump out whenever she uses the break stick and start working wonders.

I'm just kidding here, but those leprechauns would sure be practical.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby cheekymunkee » March 19th, 2008, 12:38 am

Not ALL dog fights involve just a hold anyway. Not all dog fights involve 2 pit bulls. Watchu gonna do about that snapping dog while you are trying to break the other one off? Watchu plan on doin if neither dog takes hold? A break stick might break a dog off of a hold but it will NOT stop a dog fight. That is all anyone is saying here.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bahamutt99 » March 19th, 2008, 1:24 am

Not leprechauns. Trunk monkeys. :greenWave:

You guys can use whatever method you please to stop a fight, as long as it works. Myself, the fastest break-up I ever saw was with a breaking stick.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby demolitionic » March 19th, 2008, 2:14 am

Smile and nod, logic. Smile and nod.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 19th, 2008, 10:24 am

On March 19 2008, 01:24, bahamutt99 wrote:Not leprechauns. Trunk monkeys. :greenWave:

You guys can use whatever method you please to stop a fight, as long as it works. Myself, the fastest break-up I ever saw was with a breaking stick.

ooooo.... trunk monkeys! (or would that be munkees?) If you ever want to see Demo giggle, show him that commercial - or anything else that involves Chimps.

anyway...

I'm interested to know what was going on in that fight. Please know, I am not trying to be a bitch, but haveing all of the details on things like this is important especially because everyone needs to have a plan of action if it ever happens to their dogs.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 19th, 2008, 12:22 pm

I hope it ain't Munkees because you aint gonna get much help out of that boy if you are trying to STOP a fight. Start one? He's all over that.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » March 19th, 2008, 12:28 pm

On March 19 2008, 9:24 AM, mnp13 wrote:
On March 19 2008, 01:24, bahamutt99 wrote:Not leprechauns. Trunk monkeys. :greenWave:

ooooo.... trunk monkeys! (or would that be munkees?) If you ever want to see Demo giggle, show him that commercial - or anything else that involves Chimps.

anyway...

I'm interested to know what was going on in that fight. Please know, I am not trying to be a bitch, but haveing all of the details on things like this is important especially because everyone needs to have a plan of action if it ever happens to their dogs.

I know that a break stick wouldn't have helped in any of the fights we've recently broken up here....even if we got one off the other, the one we got it off of, would come back at it...not sure if that made sense....

I HAD to choke the dogs in both situations where I was by myself...

And Debby, Dru is alot like Munkee, she HATES other dogs...and she will start for NO reason....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby bahamutt99 » March 19th, 2008, 4:35 pm

On March 19 2008, 8:24 AM, mnp13 wrote:I'm interested to know what was going on in that fight.

It was at an ADBA show, and another dog pulled over to Loki and grabbed her by the side of her muzzle. She couldn't get a hold because of the way the other dog had her, but she was trying. I grabbed her collar and cranked her up, while the other guy broke his dog off with a stick. As soon as they were parted, I pulled her back so she couldn't get a hold.

All I was saying is that I don't see why its better to choke than break with a stick, or how people can dismiss the value of having one. Loki sure didn't find it pleasant when she was being throttled by her own choke chain and her tongue was turning purple. If people can break up with a stick, then its nobody else's business to suggest that a breaking stick is worthless.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby babygirl » March 19th, 2008, 5:20 pm

When i was watching that video I found these. I posted them on my myspace page. One is graphic, the other is adorable.

This one is too cute, and on the money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1trl1FMUw

This one has photo's of dogs after a fight. I posted this one also because the end is great. It's called the side you don't see. If you have myspace and would like to see my page ( which is where I found this site, my new favorite BTW) My URL is Myspace.com/disbabygirljessica

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDJHiGe ... re=related
My candle only glows so much, only lighting a small part of this room. But if we stand together we can illuminate the whole place.
babygirl
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » March 20th, 2008, 12:42 am

Loki sure didn't find it pleasant when she was being throttled by her own choke chain and her tongue was turning purple.

Quite frankly, I don't give a flying sh!t if the dog finds it pleasant or not. My point was to illustrate that is not de facto as bad as many people assume. Bottom line, I want a reliable, user-friendly way to get the dogs apart NOW, and I don't want to have to rely on a piece of equipment that (1) may be illegal to own, (2) may get me bit in the hand, or (3) seems to be used today simply because it was used yesterday. I and others have given many, many reasons why using a break-stick should not be the primary method for dealing with a fight outside the context of a pit match. I haven't seen any of those points specifically addressed.

If people can break up with a stick, then its nobody else's business to suggest that a breaking stick is worthless.

I never said it was worthless. It obviously can be used to get the dogs apart, and it's the method that makes the most sense in the pit. My argument is that it is not the BEST way to do it out of the pit. We need to look at why it was used in the pit and ask ourselves if it still makes sense to keep using and advocating them.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2008, 9:36 am

On March 19 2008, 16:35, bahamutt99 wrote:It was at an ADBA show, and another dog pulled over to Loki and grabbed her by the side of her muzzle. She couldn't get a hold because of the way the other dog had her, but she was trying. I grabbed her collar and cranked her up, while the other guy broke his dog off with a stick. As soon as they were parted, I pulled her back so she couldn't get a hold.

That was my point exactly. Two dogs, two handlers, only one dog had a grip, the other dog was being choked out. Any other setup and you're going to have a hell of a time getting things coordinated to make it work.

The other side of "they used it in the pit" is that the handlers used them all the time so I would image were quite proficient in their use.

btw choking dogs off of the bite is a very common method of teaching the out in bite sport. It doesn't do any lasting harm and most dogs get the point after a couple times of being lifted by their collar. You only do it until they let go, you don't just hang them up until they are unconsious.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sw_df27 » March 20th, 2008, 11:03 am

I just had to do this the other day I was by myself and my BF dogs got into it for what reason I don't know anyway the Choke worked wonders..............
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk