I wasn't going to post about this here

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby chewbecca » March 16th, 2008, 2:32 pm

but thought that I should let you guys know.

Ella went to the vet for a bald spot on her side (which is so typical of Ella's skin issues) because it wouldn't drain. Nothing was coming out of it.

She was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor last Tuesday. They did pre-op blood work and she's going in for surgery tomorrow. We most likely caught it early, so it will most likely be benign/stage I.
Here's a pic, it's the bald spot on her side here:

She's young, strong, and otherwise extremely healthy. The vet doesn't believe it's internalized/effecting anything on the inside because she's not showing any symptoms of that. I'm thinking that once this is removed, it'll never come back again.

Yes, I'm going to be requesting pre-op benadryl. Some vets think it's necessary, others don't. But I'm going to request it as it cannot hurt. I don't want to dose her myself since she cannot eat anything before surgery.
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 16th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Poor Ella...positive thoughts headed her way...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » March 16th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Oh, Rebecca... :shock:

Mick had one on his head and I had it removed a couple of years ago - it never came back! :wink:

My heart and thoughts go out to you guys... Ella will be FINE!!! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » March 16th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Awh Ella, good thoughts coming your way for a speedy recovery.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » March 16th, 2008, 2:50 pm

And btw ... why weren't you going to post here??? :shock:
Your posts will probably eventually help someone else to cope w/this diagnosis - and we LOVE Ella! You must post, and give us details once she's had her surgery... and she will be FINE... :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » March 16th, 2008, 2:58 pm

My thoughts will be with you and Ella tomorrow. It is so tough for us when the fur children have something like this to face.

Here's wishing Ella a speedy recovery.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » March 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Healing thoughts coming from here...I'm sure Ella will recover fully.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pocketpit » March 16th, 2008, 3:34 pm

I know it must be scary for you, but I'm sure Ella will be fine. Your an observant dog owner and stay on top of things so I'm sure you caught it early. I know a lot of dogs that have had MCT's removed and they do great.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby hey21jude » March 16th, 2008, 4:01 pm

First of all, I'm very sorry about Ella's diagnosis, and I hope all goes well with surgery.

Second, about the bald spot...is there a lump underneath it of is it just a Bald spot? Cleo has 2 Bald spots on the top of her head(one by each ear). She was bitten by tics there early last summer. I removed the tics(head and all!), scabs formed, they healed up and her fur never grew back. You can't see the spots unless you lift her fur up. They about the size of a pea. The weird thing is she and a couple other tic bites last year, but her fur grew back... She never itches or seems bothered by the spots at all. In fact we did not realize the fur did not grow back for a while because you couldn't tell. Now I'm worried...I'll take some pics to show you...
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 16th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Oh, Rebecca, I know you are scared! :hug3:

I will be praying my heart out for Ms. Ella. Let us know how the visit goes and any results.

THINK POSITIVE! :butterfly: Ella WILL be fine.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » March 16th, 2008, 4:52 pm

Ella will come through this with flying colors, I'm sure of it!!

Good thoughts from my pups to yours.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 16th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Hugs and prayers! Hope all goes well
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby gayrghts » March 16th, 2008, 6:07 pm

I'm glad you did post about Ella.... I hope that noone feels they should not post here about their dog's situations....

Please keep us postd....

good thoughts for Ella, and you :)
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby chewbecca » March 16th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Well, I wasn't going to post about it because I keep trying to tell myself that it's nothing and that mast cell tumors are common and lots of dogs get them, have them removed, and are fine.

I didn't want to post and make it seem like it's more serious than it probably is, but at the same time, if a bad diagnosis came up, I didn't want to come out of the blue and post about it. I'd rather have you guys know what's going on, so that I can come back and post how everything went ok, because I'm sure she'll be fine.

It's hard not to be concerned, but at the same time, I know she's healthy and I know this is a common occurrence in some dogs.

It's a bald spot AND a lump. And it goes further than just the spot. It grew over night which is VERY common with mast cell tumors, or so I've read and my vet told me.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 16th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Good thoughts coming yours and Ella's way! My pups are all sending positive healing thoughts Ella's way!

Please let us know how it goes...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » March 16th, 2008, 9:19 pm

I will keep you guys in my thoughts!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby hey21jude » March 16th, 2008, 9:19 pm

It's a bald spot AND a lump. And it goes further than just the spot. It grew over night which is VERY common with mast cell tumors, or so I've read and my vet told me.

OK, so I think I was totally over reacting. Sorry about that. Wasn't trying to steal the thread :wink:

I'm sure Ella will be just fine! Good thoughts coming your way! :greenWave:
Save the Pit Bull... Save the World.
hey21jude
Confident Young Bully

Postby chewbecca » March 16th, 2008, 9:26 pm

thanks, guys!

No, it's ok, Jude! You were not hijacking or stealing or whatever, and I wouldn't care if you did. :mrgreen:

I am just still amazed at how this thing grew, literally, overnight. You can see the bump on the outside, and then where you look at it to the side, there is an inside lump under her fur. They say mast cell tumors are ALWAYS bigger than they appear on the outside.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » March 16th, 2008, 9:32 pm

On March 16 2008, 9:26 PM, chewbecca wrote:thanks, guys!

No, it's ok, Jude! You were not hijacking or stealing or whatever, and I wouldn't care if you did. :mrgreen:

I am just still amazed at how this thing grew, literally, overnight. You can see the bump on the outside, and then where you look at it to the side, there is an inside lump under her fur. They say mast cell tumors are ALWAYS bigger than they appear on the outside.

They are... they have something that looks like a"root"... but Ella will be FINE!!!
I might've mentioned that a time or two already... :mrgreen:
What time is her surgery?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby chewbecca » March 16th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Christine-

They want her there between 8-9 am. My father-in-law is going to come by and get her and bring her in for me because her vet is further away and she will need to go in about the time I need to get the boys to school. I trust him with her and I'm sending him with the pre-op benadryl request and I KNOW he'll report back to me with anything they tell him. He uses this same vet for their giant schnauzer. We'll be picking her up, though.

How long did Mick have to keep his stitches in?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Canine Cancer