Harley's got parvo :( UPDATE!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby call2arms » March 22nd, 2006, 1:41 pm

yay!!!

I can't imagine how he would be if he had not crossed your path... Thanks so much for taking care of him Insomnia.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Maryellen » March 22nd, 2006, 1:45 pm

way to go insomnia and harley!!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 22nd, 2006, 2:19 pm

:bounce: Glad to hear some good news!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby Insomnia » March 23rd, 2006, 9:01 am

great news!!!!!

Finally...Harley's turned the corner!! His stool this morning is no longer watery, it's very soft and does not take form and it's still dark colored, but it's not watery.

So today he went in for IV, tomorrow will probably be his last day for IV (fingers crossed), the vet fed him very very little food today and a little bit of water, he did not vomit nor have diahrea, he hasn't pooped yet since this morning. Tomorrow, he will most likely be able to eat something easy for his stomach and drink some water! He is full of energy, walking on his own to the vet and back, he actually REALLY enjoy the IV, he will run into the room where they give him the IV once in the vets office. Quite a funny sight.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 23rd, 2006, 9:08 am

oh insomnia, i am soooo happy tohear this.. you are doing EXCELLENT caring for harley..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 23rd, 2006, 10:26 am

That made my day!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Insomnia » March 23rd, 2006, 11:43 am

errrr....Harley had diahrea again. He only had the little bit of food from the vet. He's only having diahrea once a day, and he can hold down food without vomiting. He won't have diahrea right away after having the food...but he is having diahrea once per night. Won't know anything 'til the vet visit tomorrow, but i sure hope the vet will let him start eating some plain rice or baby food at least....he is hungry as hell!! I don't understand how he can be so full of energy if the virus hasn't passed.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » March 23rd, 2006, 11:50 am

Remember that his GI tract is still irritated and in the process of HEALING. That means he'll need bland food, easily digestible. Remember when you have the stomach flu, it takes a while for your tummy to get back to normal. Ask the vet about giving him yogurt or a beneficial bacteria (write that down so you can ask him!) because he has probably lost alot of his good bacteria colony in his tummy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 23rd, 2006, 1:40 pm

Remember that his GI tract is still irritated and in the process of HEALING. That means he'll need bland food, easily digestible. Remember when you have the stomach flu, it takes a while for your tummy to get back to normal. Ask the vet about giving him yogurt or a beneficial bacteria (write that down so you can ask him!) because he has probably lost alot of his good bacteria colony in his tummy.

I will ask for sure. I don't think my stomach ever healed from the food poisoning I experienced years ago. :(

I'm wondering....how long is this diahrea suppose to last for? From what it seemed tonight, it's no better than the ones b4, the only thing is that b4 he was having diahrea ALL the time, he's now going once a day. I'm afraid that when we start food, he'll have diahrea more and drain all his energy.

Another questions it that I've read from a few different webpages that if a puppy survive the few days of parvo, it should be on its way to recovery? is it true? I'm wanting to convince myself that he's out of the danger period, but the diahrea is just sooooo discouraging! Because I'm afraid if he starts to eat and he'll have more and more! arghhhhh, so frustrated.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 23rd, 2006, 1:45 pm

I'm sure his system is still haveing flareups. It sounds like he is starting to be in the clear.

Plain babyfood may be a good start, it should be very easy to digest. Check the ingredients though, there should be nothing but meat, water and maybe salt. You don't want fillers or preservaives.

There is also a gel suppliment you can get here. I use it for my cats sometimes. You spread some on their paws and they instinctly lick it off. No fighting with them to take a pill. I have started to do this with other pills as well. Grind them and make a paste then put it on their legs. they will lick off the most vile tasting stuff...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Insomnia » March 23rd, 2006, 1:57 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm sure his system is still haveing flareups. It sounds like he is starting to be in the clear.

Plain babyfood may be a good start, it should be very easy to digest. Check the ingredients though, there should be nothing but meat, water and maybe salt. You don't want fillers or preservaives.

There is also a gel suppliment you can get here. I use it for my cats sometimes. You spread some on their paws and they instinctly lick it off. No fighting with them to take a pill. I have started to do this with other pills as well. Grind them and make a paste then put it on their legs. they will lick off the most vile tasting stuff...

I think the vet told me that he will supply me with some type of gel today for the pup to eat........I got whole bunch of baby food ready and I'm cooking plain 'congee' daily just in case he was ready to eat, if not I eat it. :)

'congee' is rice cooked in water until a thick paste....it's actually quite good
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby concreterose » March 23rd, 2006, 2:47 pm

Insomnia wrote:

I will ask for sure. I don't think my stomach ever healed from the food poisoning I experienced years ago. :(

I'm wondering....how long is this diahrea suppose to last for? From what it seemed tonight, it's no better than the ones b4, the only thing is that b4 he was having diahrea ALL the time, he's now going once a day. I'm afraid that when we start food, he'll have diahrea more and drain all his energy.

Another questions it that I've read from a few different webpages that if a puppy survive the few days of parvo, it should be on its way to recovery? is it true? I'm wanting to convince myself that he's out of the danger period, but the diahrea is just sooooo discouraging! Because I'm afraid if he starts to eat and he'll have more and more! arghhhhh, so frustrated.

Yes, that is the general concensus. I honestly think he'll be ok, just keep him hydrated. When you get the baby food make sure it doesn't have onion powder either, a lot of it does...Vicki had parvo, then turned right around and contracted ghiardia, then mange...you'd be surprised at what they will fight off!
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » March 23rd, 2006, 3:54 pm

I don't think there is a set time of recovery from Parvo, it may depend on the dog's immune system. Be sure you follow your vet's feeding instructions very closely, I know it can be tempting to give extra :)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Insomnia » March 23rd, 2006, 4:16 pm

Yes, that is the general concensus. I honestly think he'll be ok, just keep him hydrated. When you get the baby food make sure it doesn't have onion powder either, a lot of it does...Vicki had parvo, then turned right around and contracted ghiardia, then mange...you'd be surprised at what they will fight off!

Wow, that must've been a tough time for you! Thank you for giving me hope!
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 24th, 2006, 3:35 am

despite the slight diahrea, the vet gave him a go on the simple and plain food, feed about 6 times a day along with some tummy medicine which kind of looks like pepto bismo (but it's white) 3 times a day. I ask them about Parvaid, they have no idea what it is, so I didn't ask them if I should use it because if they dunno, they will probably reject it. Parvaid's instruction say that if the puppy is eating on its own, feed only 3-4 times a day instead of every hour.

so..looks like Harvey's done with the IV if he can stay hydrated. He's not vomiting up food nor water, just hope not too much diahrea when he starts eating. I will be feeding him plain rice cooked into thick paste & a little bit of yam. Well, hopefully this is a start of successful recovery!

Will post some pix of this now skin & bone puppy once he's more clean looking. :)

Ask the vet about giving him yogurt or a beneficial bacteria (write that down so you can ask him!)

They advice against yogurt for the time being, they feel the tummy medicine should do its job first, and yogurt will cause soft wet stool right now.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 24th, 2006, 3:44 am

The white stuff is most likely Sulcrate or Sucrulfate, I think its kind of like heavy duty liquid tums?! It'll probably smell like chalky vanilla.
Patients are prescribed it often at my work

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ccc2006 » March 24th, 2006, 10:22 am

Sounds like he's pulling through. Good for you and Harley! :)
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 27th, 2006, 2:01 pm

a little update on Harley and some questions...sorry, no pix yet 'cuz lost the memory card.

He's back being pretty much normal 'cept for the wet poo, he's going at very normal times and the color is normal. He's been eating for 2 days, but I see no progress yet, is gaining weight a long process? I would think he would gain weight quickly once start eating. I also wonder how long will he continue to shed the virus for? I'll wait for a month b4 letting him play with my other dogs but should I start counting down now or wait 'til the wet poo stops? By the way, he is eating rice cooked into thick paste with a little bit of chicken and baby food.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 27th, 2006, 10:21 pm

Has the Vet ok'd this food you're feeding him?

weight gain on a very skinny dog may take time to show, I think you'd definately not see it until the end of the first week.

Are you still giving him the medicine for his stomach with the food?

Has his stool hardened at all?

Malli
Last edited by Malli on March 27th, 2006, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 27th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I'm so glad things are getting better
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health