Flyball at home

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » March 10th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Would it be possible to teach flyball at home? Not for competitions or anything, just for fun. :) Are there any good training books? Places to buy equipment?

When I get a fenced yard again, I think that it is something that Caesar would really enjoy. He's not great in public situations, so I wouldn't be interested in joining a club or being "official" or anything, but I think it would be a great way for him to get a work out mentally and physically while at home.

Thanks for the help! :greenWave:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 11th, 2008, 10:57 am

Well...you can get cheap boxes from J&J and other places...but they're not going to be good quality ones.

Jumps...you can make them from PVC or plywood...easy enough.

You'll just need an extra person to load the box for you. ;)

I don't know anyone that plays at home...it's really such a team sport...the fun is more in the racing other teams/dogs/etc. My guys don't find running to the box by themselves that much fun, seriously. They're happy with me throwing a ball in the yard.

Agility...have you thought about making up a course in your yard, probably would have more fun with that for the $$$

Flyball home page...there are links to equipment and such on here. :)
http://www.ashgi.org/color/Aussie_noses.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » March 11th, 2008, 11:04 am

Thanks for the info!

I think running around other dogs would just freak him out. I think he would just like jumping the jumps and chasing the tennis ball. I guess I could always just set up jumps and throw a ball back and forth. lol I just thought it would be fun to teach him something new, a task he had never done before.

I plan on doing some agility stuff too... he loves to climb on things. lol
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Sports