Training on 03/02/08

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » March 4th, 2008, 11:11 pm

So, we had a nice day on Sunday. There weren't many of us there, and I finally got some training video (sorry about the video quality - I have an HD camera, but it won't let me upload HD quality onto photobucket - so I have to compress a lot).

This first video is of Sacha working some obedience. You'll have to pardon my chubby cheeks, as I have hot dog in my mouth. I'm getting her ready for the PSA TC. Sadly, Sacha was my "screw-up" first dog, so her obedience isn't great...

This next video is of Greg's male, Jue. The beginning is his nice bouncing guard...the second part is just an escape bite...The decoy is pretty good, Jue typically takes people down doing the escape bite from this distance. Also, something to keep in mind, he comes in fast and hard, and holds on....he doesn't have any canines, and nubs for teeth....

Third video is of Nisha doing the carjacking. We were using the bitesuit to protect my car, and I get Nisha in there, and she starts growling and biting the bitesuit...it took a second for me to get her focused. However, we're having a bit of an outing problem on this scenario (she either won't out or just gets dirty)...something we'll be working on over the next few weeks (we're trying to get her ready to show in a PDC at the end of this month). This scenario is what you might see in a PSA PDC except that the bag of cans would be a jug of rocks (in the level 1 carjacking there is a gun)....

Finally, one thing that you might see in a PSA Level 3 routine is an object guard. He's apparently never seen one (but his training started out being for French ring, so there's a chance he was introduced to an object guard at some point when he was younger). He picks things up really fast, so we expect that he'll get this with no problem...

"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » March 4th, 2008, 11:38 pm

You should get a virb account 'cause I believe you can upload HD onto it. (Now I'm gonna go watch the videos)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » March 4th, 2008, 11:39 pm

awesome all around :)

I think Sacha did really well :? :| The down in motion had a great response, she was super quick. Man, I just couldn't do the hot dogs!

Is that Greg swearing away? :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 5th, 2008, 12:03 am

I've got to come back and watch later...

But you have to tell me next time you're training! I wanna come watch! (and I think Xander wants to bite something...) ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SisMorphine » March 5th, 2008, 12:05 am

Jue: I really want to snuggle with him. I love his jump and bark ;)

Nisha: "Momma, this guy's trying to ef us up, why would I let him go?"

Cy: He SO doesn't want that decoy to ever come near that article again. lol

Sasha: Is there a story behind those air snaps? I find them very interesting from a behavioral aspect . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby madremissy » March 5th, 2008, 12:05 am

:shock: Very intense.
:oops: You are not going to be very impressed when you get to help me with kinzyl. :oops: We definitely have sit down though. :mrgreen:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » March 5th, 2008, 12:22 am

On March 04 2008, SisMorphine wrote:Sasha: Is there a story behind those air snaps? I find them very interesting from a behavioral aspect . . .

ahem, I *think* she's catching hot dogs ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » March 5th, 2008, 12:37 am

On March 04 2008, 11:22 PM, Malli wrote:
On March 04 2008, SisMorphine wrote:Sasha: Is there a story behind those air snaps? I find them very interesting from a behavioral aspect . . .

ahem, I *think* she's catching hot dogs ;)

LOL! Now I see the spitting. Thanks ;)
SisMorphine

Postby pocketpit » March 5th, 2008, 7:39 am

I love Jue's happy little tail :mrgreen:
For the PSA article guard does the decoy have a specific time he's supposed to stay by the article after being bitten or is it less regimented than ring?
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 5th, 2008, 12:07 pm

On March 04 2008, 10:39 PM, Malli wrote:awesome all around :)

I think Sacha did really well :? :| The down in motion had a great response, she was super quick. Man, I just couldn't do the hot dogs!

Is that Greg swearing away? :lol3:

It's funny that you think Sacha did well...I watched that and picked out a million and one things that we need to work on...So, thank you!!! And, yes, the hot dogs are gross! I hate them! It's funny, I'm not a big fan of pattern training a dog...but with her, I almost have to...I'm going to show her in a TC at the end of the month...

And btw, no it's not greg swearing...it's James (the decoy)...

:|

In PSA, Greg doesn't even like to call what they do an object guard, because it's not like the one they do in KNPV or ring. In PSA, the dog is told to protect an object and the handler goes out of sight. The decoy is allowed to lure the dog away from the object first (using treats, toys, etc). When the decoy comes in, the dog is expected to bite...however, the scenario usually ends there (the handler is told to come out of hiding and out the dog). The dog is NOT required to go back to the object. However, we want to train the "proper" and "formal" way so that if it does show up that way, we're prepared for it (and if it doesn't, as long as he bites, we're good). We're trying to first get him used to guarding the object. The next thing we'll work on is using the lures to get him away. When we did this with TJ, we had a hard time b/c he ended up thinking he was supposed to guard any object he was placed on (rather than listening for the word) and a lot of times, you place the dog on an object in the level 3's for food refusals and change of positions...well everytime we did that, he went into an automatic object guard...and he would bite during obedience...so, I want to make sure it's clear in cy's head (especially because he thinks so much)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby katiek0417 » March 5th, 2008, 12:38 pm

On March 04 2008, 11:03 PM, TheRedQueen wrote:I've got to come back and watch later...

But you have to tell me next time you're training! I wanna come watch! (and I think Xander wants to bite something...) ;)

We train on Saturdays and Sundays!!! We'd love to have you!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby babyreba » March 5th, 2008, 1:41 pm

nice! doc and i will have to come out and watch you guys at some point as well, since we are so close by! maybe when the weather is more consistently nice. i also need to get you some info on our bmore dog thing!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 5th, 2008, 2:58 pm

On March 05 2008, 12:41 PM, babyreba wrote:nice! doc and i will have to come out and watch you guys at some point as well, since we are so close by! maybe when the weather is more consistently nice. i also need to get you some info on our bmore dog thing!

Definitely, we'd love to have you guys out!!!

And def. get me more info...I know that the walk is coming up on April 20th, right?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 5th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Katrina I always love watching your videos!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » March 5th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Awww...thank you! I appreciate that!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » March 5th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Those are great!!!
:wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 5th, 2008, 10:11 pm

Awesome videos! I would so pee my pants
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby babyreba » March 6th, 2008, 9:21 am

On March 05 2008, katiek0417 wrote:
On March 05 2008, 12:41 PM, babyreba wrote:nice! doc and i will have to come out and watch you guys at some point as well, since we are so close by! maybe when the weather is more consistently nice. i also need to get you some info on our bmore dog thing!

Definitely, we'd love to have you guys out!!!

And def. get me more info...I know that the walk is coming up on April 20th, right?

Yes, it's April 20 and they've given us a nice big list of stipulations to have our table. It's ridiculous.

No dogs, not even for an obedience demo.

No fund-raising. We can sell things (dog treats, toys, etc.) but if we do, they want us to give a percentage to the MDSPCA as a donation for letting us have free space at the event.

No promotion of any other group, organization, or business. They don't even want us to have trainers on hand, because they want the trainers to pay to have their own table. Which infuriated me when they told me that. I asked if we could have the one trainer who is on the board answer questions for people if they had them, and they told us that'd be OK if she doesn't have any of her business information at the table and doesn't promote her business, otherwise they want her to pay for her own table.
I almost wanted to just skip this event and attend one that's more small-group friendly instead, but everyone on the board of B-More Dog is very excited about it, so we're just going to have to grin and bear it.

I'm really annoyed with the MDSPCA right now. I refused to take part in this event last year or the year before because I was getting really frustrated with all the rules they were imposing on small groups, making it harder and harder to be part of the event, and I think I forgot how aggravated I was till I started dealing with them again. We are totally nonprofit and trying to do some of the things that the MDSPCA ought to be doing as part of its mission. But they don't really seem to care that smaller orgs are breaking their backs trying to offer free or low-cost services to a city that needs them. They would rather squeeze everyone for every dime they might be able to get than making it easy to partner with community organizations.

Ah well, we can talk more about it later!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmypitties » March 19th, 2008, 9:11 am

Wow they are all doing very well! Cy looks fantastic! And little Sacha looks good.. she really does!

And what else is there to say about my best friend Jue! I love him!
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 19th, 2008, 9:58 am

On March 19 2008, 8:11 AM, luvmypitties wrote:Wow they are all doing very well! Cy looks fantastic! And little Sacha looks good.. she really does!

And what else is there to say about my best friend Jue! I love him!

Thanks, Tina...I actually just sent out my registrations for the Stafford Trial for Nisha and Sacha (I sent Cy's out a while ago)...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Sports