Charges Dropped....

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Maryellen » March 21st, 2006, 3:00 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11943967/

Report: Charges dropped in teacher sex case
Decision in LaFave case comes after court ruling, sources tell WESH-TV
Updated: 1:29 p.m. ET March 21, 2006
OCALA, Fla. - Prosecutors are dropping the latest charges against Debra LaFave, the Florida school teacher accused of having sex with a 14-year-old student, WESH-TV, NBC's Orlando affiliate, reported Tuesday.

The decision came just hours after a judge in Marion County rejected a second plea deal in the case, saying “Quite frankly, if the allegations against the defendant are true, the agreed-upon sentence shocks the conscience of this court.”

Sources told WESH that prosecutors had planned for several weeks to drop the charges against LaFave, who earlier agreed to a plea deal in a second court in a case in which she lost her teacher's license and was sentenced to three years of house arrest.

In the Marion County case, prosecutors promised the teen's mother that he would not have to testify. But because Circuit Judge Hale Stancil rejected the second plea deal, the only other option for prosecutors would have been a trial, which would force the boy to take the stand.

Stancil said the plea bargain would undermine the credibility of the criminal justice system and “erode public confidence in our schools.”

“Accepting the proposed plea agreement would likewise send the message that if enough publicity is generated, and the media's interest continues long enough, and because of that interest the victim does not wish to testify, a defendant can avoid an appropriate sentence,” he said.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys had urged the judge to accept the deal for the sake of the boy involved. A psychiatrist who examined the teenager told the judge at a previous hearing that the youth suffered extreme anxiety from the intense media coverage surrounding the case and does not want to testify.

Lafave, 25, was charged in two counties, accused in Marion County of having sex with the boy in a sport utility vehicle, and in Hillsborough County of having sex with him in a classroom and her home.

In Hillsborough County, she pleaded guilty on Nov. 22 to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery, and under a plea deal, the judge sentenced her to three years of house arrest and seven years’ probation.

In the Hillsborough case, the judge also said Lafave will forever lose her teaching certificate, must register with the state as a sexual predator, may not have any contact with children, including the victim. He also said she will not be allowed to profit from the sale of her story or personal appearances.

Lafave’s attorney, John Fitzgibbons, scheduled a news conference in Tampa later Tuesday to discuss the Marion County ruling.

Maryellen
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 21st, 2006, 3:14 pm

I know, come on, she was too pretty to go to jail :rolleyes2:
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » March 21st, 2006, 3:20 pm

I have just one question . . .

WHERE WERE THESE TEACHERS WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL!!!
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 21st, 2006, 3:29 pm

Gotta love it. She preys apon a young boy, who now has serious emotional issues (not every 14 yr old boy wants to have sex with a 25 year old teacher, no matter how hot), and then gets no punishment.

She would be dead if she had done this to my son.

Where is the uproar from the rape crisis centers?

Where is NOW, insisting that no victim is ever to blame, that rape is always about power and control?

And people wonder why I am so afraid not for girls these days but for the boys. This seriously pisses me off.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 21st, 2006, 3:47 pm

:shake:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » March 21st, 2006, 3:55 pm

They're worried about what people will think of the school?

Public schools have a large amount of pedophiles in them. The high school I went to had at least 5 that everyone knew had sex with students. You know the other teachers and admins knew as well but no one will blow the whistle.

I think we have a epidemic of pedophiles but everyone is too uptight about sex so they won't speak out.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 21st, 2006, 8:35 pm

It really makes the case for homeschooling pretty strong, doesn't it?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 21st, 2006, 9:05 pm

How sexist is that? If it was a guy and he molested a teenage girl, he'd be hung by the balls. Since it's a female she gets off with a handslap. I think had it been my son, she'd not be around, either...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 21st, 2006, 10:20 pm

msvette2u wrote:How sexist is that? If it was a guy and he molested a teenage girl, he'd be hung by the balls. Since it's a female she gets off with a handslap. I think had it been my son, she'd not be around, either...

A f!@#$%! men! If it had been a male teacher, and a female student...don't even get me started.
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 22nd, 2006, 10:19 am

I actually am editing the newsletter for the National Coalition of Free Men, Greater NY chapter. We deal with just this sort of double standand. It really is amazing that most people think nothing of it. I have to say I am very pleasantly suprised that you guys see it-the dog people I am used to dealing with in person are mostly flaming liberals who would think nothing of this. They have said "What, he's lucky, what teenage boy would turn it down?"

*not all liberals think this way, but the responses I have heard were pretty well divided down political lines*

It is sick, very sick, that society cannot see that women are just as capable of rape as men. This is not a gender issue, it is a human issue.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 10:27 am

It is sick, very sick, that society cannot see that women are just as capable of rape as men. This is not a gender issue, it is a human issue.

:goodStuff:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 22nd, 2006, 10:37 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I actually am editing the newsletter for the National Coalition of Free Men, Greater NY chapter. We deal with just this sort of double standand. It really is amazing that most people think nothing of it. I have to say I am very pleasantly suprised that you guys see it-the dog people I am used to dealing with in person are mostly flaming liberals who would think nothing of this. They have said "What, he's lucky, what teenage boy would turn it down?"

*not all liberals think this way, but the responses I have heard were pretty well divided down political lines*

I find that very sad!! :(
It IS a human issue...but if you look around, we (not WE but America anyway) pimp our girls. Has anyone looked around at our teen age girls? Bellys showing, they wear G strings (sorry, thongs) and hike those up above the waist of their pants which usually sits at about their pubic bone. It's trashy and I cannot believe that the Women Organizations out there allow it. Women have fought to be seen "equal" yet they allow our girls to dress this way, which in my opinion, promotes older men lusting after them?? I went to Walmart and of course they just copy what Old Navy and Gap are selling and all I could see around were underwear looking garments that apparently our daughters are supposed to wear this spring and summer.
Oops. I'm on a rant... :oops:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 10:41 am

My 24 year old daughter often comments to me on how young girls are dressed these days. SO many of them look like hookers.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 22nd, 2006, 11:07 am

Two summers ago I saw a mother and daughter walking around at the Faire. She was pretty dark tanned, had a narrow white tube top on with a 'shoe lace' halter string and tight, ultra low hip hugger pants. Nice way to dress infront of your 10 year old, right? No. That was how the 10 year old was dressed.

It was disgusting. I asked Demo if she could be arrested for trying to pimp her daughter out because that's the only reason I could think of to let a little girl walk around in public like that.

Gap for Kids sells things in size 6x. What 6 year old needs to be concerned with panty lines?!??!?!!?!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 22nd, 2006, 11:42 am

i agree.. my stepdaughter is 13, and the way she dresses is like a 25 year old.. hip huggers, tight pants, low cut shirts/ short shorts.. and with makeup on she looks 25. unfortunately, kids now adays are so concerned with how they look.. know what she said the day before i came for her dog as her mother was taking her to school?? mom, i look really pretty now so dont discuss ruby as i dont want to ruin my makeup...

this came from a 13 year old...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 22nd, 2006, 11:47 am

The kids don't know they are being objectified. The loss of innocence comes quickly nowadays. :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 11:52 am

And people wonder why their daughters are pregnant at 14.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 22nd, 2006, 12:25 pm

And boys, who are maturing at a much slower rate than those girls, have to try and get an education while inundated with sexuality far too overt for their young age. It is not just girls who are having issues. The boys are told on the one hand that they must behave, then they are slammed by the actual girls if they do behave. The girls want attention, then the boys are criminalized for giving it to them.

Meanwhile the girls are putting all their self esteem into what other people think of them, including other girls.

And people wonder why we live in a small conservative town and do not have television.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 22nd, 2006, 12:47 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:And boys, who are maturing at a much slower rate than those girls, have to try and get an education while inundated with sexuality far too overt for their young age. It is not just girls who are having issues. The boys are told on the one hand that they must behave, then they are slammed by the actual girls if they do behave. The girls want attention, then the boys are criminalized for giving it to them.

Meanwhile the girls are putting all their self esteem into what other people think of them, including other girls.

And people wonder why we live in a small conservative town and do not have television.

Exactly!!!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 22nd, 2006, 1:13 pm

I went to a public school, but my mom had rules - no makeup until we were 16 and no shorts. By the time I was 'allowed' to wear makeup (yes, I snuck it to school and put it on) I had already developed my habits and 15 minutes 'putting on my face' wasn't part of those habits.

The shorts thing eventually disappeared when I made a point of wearing skirts that were shorter than most of the shorts I owned. :wink:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Off-Topic