Service Dog vest colors?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Does a certain color mean a certain thing?

I read somewhere on the 'net that a person had a certain color vest on their dog to indicated a hidden disability.

I went to the deltasociety.org, but couldn't find it mentioned.

Anyone know?
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » January 17th, 2006, 2:40 pm

I've never heard of that before. I would doubt it, because it would probably be an invasion of privacy of sorts. If I had a 'hidden' disability it's not anyone else's business what it is, and the color of my dog's vest would display it for all to see.

Granted, you'd have to know what the 'code' was, but it would still be invasive I think.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » January 17th, 2006, 2:40 pm

i never knew that. i just figured orange meant service dog... i posted a link to service dog vests and stuff here..maybe that will explain it?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 17th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Maryellen wrote:i never knew that. i just figured orange meant service dog... i posted a link to service dog vests and stuff here..maybe that will explain it?

I've looked through those and didn't see it.

Birdie wears a red vest, because that was what I've seen other dogs wear.

Since I started looking into it, I've seen red, blue, green, orange and other colors like purple too!

I had a lady tell me that all Therapy dogs should wear Green vests and orange is for SAR dogs.

Just curious.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Maryellen » January 17th, 2006, 3:13 pm

i only saw the orange and red colors.. i didnt know they had so many... my dog trainer is a SAR trainer /searcher, and her dog wears an orange vest when searching.... i like the different color vests.. i wonder where we could find out what each color is for?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 17th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I just visited about 10 service dog vest sites. Not a single one referrs to the color of the vest matching a specific disability.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » January 17th, 2006, 5:33 pm

mnp13 wrote:I just visited about 10 service dog vest sites. Not a single one referrs to the color of the vest matching a specific disability.

I did several internet searches, found another vest that really rocks :)

But no info on what the colors mean. :(

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby pibblegrl » January 19th, 2006, 12:08 pm

The colors are just personal preference...companies are starting to offer more than just the bright colored ones.....I like being able to have a choice.....
Really, you could buy anything and sew a patch on it...Dale has a couple of vests/t-shirts/jackets-for different weather or occasions.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk