Question regarding yard set up for your dogs

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2006, 11:05 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
luvmyangels wrote:I also have an ex-racing greyhound next door that is really obnoxious and gets into barking fights through the fence with Teddy.

Damn loud ex-racing greys!!
*shakes angry fist in air*

*looks over shoulder at own ex-racer who only makes a noise when he is given the command to sing*

My mom has an ex-racer and she is very nice but timid around people. But overall a really nice dog. The funny part is she also owns four mini wire haired dachshunds. Luckily the greyhound has a low prey drive or otherwise they would have been dinner.

There are two ex-racers next to me and the new one they got is a nut job. The other one barks occassionally but nothing like fighting through the fence.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 20th, 2006, 11:10 pm

luvmyangels wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I have a full fenced yard with the house and garage on one side, 6 foot stockade fence on two sides and 4 foot chain link on the last side. Ruby gets out occasionally - over the 6 foot fence because she is afraid of the chain link :rolleyes2:

as long as they are wached they are fine.

Connor makes a beeline for the spring pole when he's in the yard and Riggs is never off leash back there.

That is sick that she jumps the fence. I would be terrified where I live.

It's annoying, but if I keep an eye on her she doesn't do it.

Mommy grows horns and a tail and a pitchfork sprouts from her hand when she catches Ruby going over the fence. Then Ruby walks home with a hand solidly on her collar... while mommy walks in a normal upright position.

I have a suspected dog fighter around the corner from me and a drug house down the street. I'd rather hand her her butt on a platter than risk those dirt bags getting ahold of her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 11:16 pm

luvmyangels wrote:My mom has an ex-racer and she is very nice but timid around people. But overall a really nice dog.

The timid ones make me sad :(

Mine's an attention whore and will immediately start hitting the new person who walked in the door to get more pettins!! He also thinks that vets offices are treat dispensing places. I've never seen him shake, and though can be aloof, never shies away from anyone. As far as I'm concerned I totally lucked out with this bad boy!

When I worked at the rescue kennel we had one big black Grey named Max who would patrol the fence and bark with this deep scary bark if he thought something outside the fence was not right. And we had another who would bark INCESSANTLY. Come to think of it I'm not quite sure why he was never fitted with a cit collar . . . either way, loud little buggar who was kicked out of his foster home for picking up the cat immediately when he walked in the door.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 20th, 2006, 11:16 pm

We have four acres (yay!) but none of it is fenced in (boo). Since we're renting there's not a chance we'll pay to have it fenced. So, sadly, when outside my girl is confined to a 15 ft tether. And she's only out there if I or my hubby is out there with her. Not that I don't trust the little darling. I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade the tether soon though - it's a cable, but I'm afraid she'll break it as she gets stronger.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » March 20th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Damn this word filter!!!!

He is not "an attention lady of the night ". Rather more of a pushy gentleman . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Hoyden » March 21st, 2006, 1:25 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:We have four acres (yay!) but none of it is fenced in (boo). Since we're renting there's not a chance we'll pay to have it fenced. So, sadly, when outside my girl is confined to a 15 ft tether. And she's only out there if I or my hubby is out there with her. Not that I don't trust the little darling. I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade the tether soon though - it's a cable, but I'm afraid she'll break it as she gets stronger.

She probably will. Both Petey and Rhianna did that when they were 6 months old. So we got heavier cables and they broke those too.

So they ended up on chains. Not the big heavy ones though.

A nice guy at home depot cut them for me and attached all the hardware.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Hoyden » March 21st, 2006, 1:38 am

My back yard is fenced on two sides with 6 ft. wood privacy and one side with green chain link so we can see the woods. The other side is the back of the house.

We have about 1/2 acre of woods that we are fencing in over the summer. We;re adding a pond with a cascading stream and a pool at the bottom. the pool is for the muts.

The dog house, even though there is a custom built houde under the deck - they pefer to hangout in the lower level of the castle,

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » March 21st, 2006, 1:55 am

Noel, since I think your husband & my ex husband could be distantly related I think I will come live with you, get to know the fam & all. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Verderben » March 21st, 2006, 3:14 am

We have a 6 ft privacy fence all the way around but we recently fenced off the concrete for the dogs to stay on. Much easier for clean up and no more muddy dogs when it is raining. Here is a pic before we put the fence up. That stuff down at the end is from the tree that hangs over the garage. It sux its a walnut tree so all summer I have walnuts and black rolly things all over the place back there.

Verderben
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmyangels » March 21st, 2006, 9:36 am

Noel, What a beautiful yard. How do you get your grass to be so beautiful. The dogs have ripped my yard up. I will have to take pics but I think I figured the set up for the dogs last night.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Hoyden » March 21st, 2006, 9:47 am

luvmyangels wrote:Noel, What a beautiful yard. How do you get your grass to be so beautiful. The dogs have ripped my yard up. I will have to take pics but I think I figured the set up for the dogs last night.

We had a landscaping company at that time. We gave it up this spring because the overhead due to gases & taxes was just too much & we were burning out.

My husband is the King of Grass. PM me your zip code and I'll ask him about what kind of grass is good for your area.

We use Lesco Park & Athletic mix - made for football fields and parks combined with another kind of grass that I can't remember the name of.

It also has to do with proper fertizer so the grass developes a strong root system so that the dogs aren't as likely to tear it to hades.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SisMorphine » March 21st, 2006, 10:00 am

I think your husband needs to come up here and tell me how to grow grass! My neighbors all have it but from the looks of it my backyard is all mud . . . which I am NOT a fan of!!!!! I mean, I've only been here for the winter months so far, but I can see grass in the front yard, but see none in the back. I need help!

Tell him I'll buy him some Mead :wink:
SisMorphine

Postby kymn25 » March 21st, 2006, 1:19 pm

SisMorphine wrote:The kennel yard is surrounded by a 6 foot solid wood fence. It is divided in half by a 4 foot slatted fence, usually that door is only closed for night time turn out when I don't want to be chasing them around the yard at 11pm!! The flooring is crushed gravel. There are 3 large carpeted platforms, a real fire hydrant, and a "dog house" which is just an open covered structure. I'm going to have to get some pics of the kennel yard at some point.

Hurry with the pictures, I would LOVE to see them!
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby luvmyangels » March 21st, 2006, 1:53 pm

SisMorphine wrote:The timid ones make me sad :(

She has been getting better over the past 8 months my mother has had her. My mom takes her out to dog parks a lot which helps with her socialization. She still does not know what to make of kids though.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby rottgrl » April 1st, 2006, 11:30 pm

I have a pretty complicated situation for our dogs, since we have girls that don't get along. Right outside my sliding glass door is a 6 x 12 kennel. It has 4 doors to 4 different kennels.

We had to put that first kennel up because we had girls actually try to get outside at each other. Now if someone gets outside there is still the fence between them.

The kennels to the far left and far right are 12 x 12. The two center kennels are huge....I have no idea exactly how big....and I want to make them even bigger, and add a pool area to both sides.

For the past two years I have been watching the newspaper for kennels for sale. We didn't pay over $200 for any one them, and one was about 60 feet of panels. Most of the time I can get them for $100 for a 6 x 12.

We laid red bricks in a 15 x 15 area right in the center of all the kennels, and the rest is gravel. There are also two nice shade trees in the yard, one which I plan to hang a spring pole from.

The plans for this year are: 6 foot stockade privacy fence around most of the kennels (especially where the neighbors can see in and the dogs can see the neighbors) and more fence panels to make the area as large as I can. I have 40 feet of stockade fence here already, so this weekend will be a trip to Menards for the posts....digging holes and mixing cement.....and people wonder why I don't have time for a boyfriend! LOL

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » April 2nd, 2006, 9:59 am

We currently have a temporary situation since this is our first dog. I went to home depot and got heavy duty green garden fence. What a pain hammering in those posts when you live in a rocky area. Lucky the neighbor behind me already had a 6ft wood fence. So I only had to do the sides off my Deck. This gave a 25 x 60 play area. We have about an acre and dont have the $$ to fence in the whole yard. The back yard is the smallest area. The sides is where we have the most which is nice giving us distance from neighbors. I do have to watch him out there. He does not try to get out unless someone in the family is on the other side. He could just push his way under I suppose. We did have a trolly in side yard when washing cars and gardening. But we had to add an extension to make it to the other side of yard. Just yesterday he snapped it trying to run to me. So now it is just a teather on the ground. I cant wait to fence the yard in. My husband however is not enthusiastic about it. Thats because he is not home all day with Rocky like I am.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 2nd, 2006, 10:12 am

Men love lawns, that is why. My husband does not want to fence in ANY of our 3 acres of grass lawn. We do have a wooden horse fence behind the barn, so this year I am going to run dog fence inside the wood fence.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 2nd, 2006, 10:26 am

The backyard belongs to the dogs LOL. It is fenced off with 6 foot stackade which they can easily go over but they are never left outside unattended.

I'm jealous of the people who can have grass. I have sandy dirt... nothing will grow back there as long as the dogs are doing zooooooooomies all over it. :|
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Hoyden » April 2nd, 2006, 11:04 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:The backyard belongs to the dogs LOL. It is fenced off with 6 foot stackade which they can easily go over but they are never left outside unattended.

I'm jealous of the people who can have grass. I have sandy dirt... nothing will grow back there as long as the dogs are doing zooooooooomies all over it. :|

You may have to treat the soil to make it better for the grass and limit the dogs to certain areas while others grow, but it IS possibile!

The key to keeping the grass according to my husband is letting the young grass develope a strong root system and proper fertilization. That way when the dogs zoom around - it isn't easily ripped up.

If you want just GREEN grass and aren't a snob like my hubby, you can try St. Augustine grass. It's like crab grass and grows with runners and is damn near impossible to kill

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Magnolia618 » April 2nd, 2006, 11:07 am

I live on an old farm-type thing. Behind my house is 40 acres of fields and woods. Infront of my house is a smaller yard, then a barn which has has a fenced in horse corral. I wouldnt even call it a fence though. It was built for horses so Maggie can easily walk under it.

When I need to let my dogs out, Hendrix (shih tzu) can be off leash, but Maggie is attached to a long cable. I would KILL for a fenced in yard.

When we move, I am going to buy a kennel, and then slowly add panels to make it bigger and bigger. Maybe one day I'll have a fenced in yard. lol
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk