Agitation Muzzle

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby DemoDick » February 24th, 2008, 7:46 pm

I'm looking for an agitation muzzle. The one I have from fordogtrainer.com is just a little too small and irritates my dog's flews. Most of the ones out there are geared toward pointy nosed herders and the Rott ones are just too big (I think). I'm also leery of buying anything unseen when I'm not sure of the size. Any ideas? A few of you here have seen my dog...any idea what size/style he would need? I want him to be able to open his mouth fully and bark with it on.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SisMorphine » February 24th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Does agitation muzzle = basket muzzle?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » February 24th, 2008, 8:34 pm

On February 24 2008, 7:23 PM, SisMorphine wrote:Does agitation muzzle = basket muzzle?

Not if you're thinking a wire/plastic basket...an agitation muzzle is leather...

Demo, this place will do a custom made one...you'll pay more for it...but they did an AWESOME job with Nisha's (who is very tiny and has a tiny muzzle)...

It's high quality leather, etc..

http://www.workingdogs.com/shop/prod--a ... e-211.html

Call them and tell them that you need one for a pit bull and you need it custom sized for him...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DemoDick » February 24th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Some agitation muzzles are basket-style. I like the solid ones better. Thanks for the link Katrina.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby katiek0417 » February 24th, 2008, 10:54 pm

On February 24 2008, 8:42 PM, DemoDick wrote:Some agitation muzzles are basket-style. I like the solid ones better. Thanks for the link Katrina.

Demo Dick

I have found that the basket style ones don't hold up as well...but this place is great...like I said, they're a little more expensive, but they're well worth it!!! I was VERY happy with the muzzle they did for Nisha...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2008, 1:26 am

What exactly is an agitation muzzle, and what is it used for?

Oh... and Mick wears one of the leather ones from fordogtrainer.com - how BIG is Connor??? We got the biggest size they advertise for Pit Bulls and Mick has room to spare... :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » February 25th, 2008, 2:16 am

On February 25 2008, 01:26, amazincc wrote:What exactly is an agitation muzzle, and what is it used for?

Oh... and Mick wears one of the leather ones from fordogtrainer.com - how BIG is Connor??? We got the biggest size they advertise for Pit Bulls and Mick has room to spare... :shock:

It is a leather muzzle that prevents the dog from biting. It's used for a lot of things, but in the context of agitation it is used to help break equipment fixation and build frustration. Basically, it helps to teach a dog that he doesn't need to see a sleeve or bitesuit to engage a threat, and helps to teach him to use the power of his body to knock the snot out of a bad guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF2VSmPWViU

Connor is not large, about 50 lbs. The problem I run into is that I need one that fits tightly around his head but has enough room inside for him to bark. If I find one that fits his the length of his muzzle it's usually too narrow and/or straps are too long.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2008, 2:26 am

Ah, I see... we use ours strictly to prevent biting. I do understand the body power thing though... Mick has tried it to intimidate people while he was wearing the muzzle... by jumping, pushing and head-butting... :oops:

I had to adjust ours in all kinds of ways too, but as a strict bite prevention tool it does the job. I like the one Katrina gave you a link to... and that video is awesome!
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2008, 2:47 am

Here is another place you could try...

http://www.leather-creations.com/muzzles.html

http://www.thefind.com/qq-dog-muzzle-leather-muzzle

This muzzle is specifically designed to let the dog "bark,
growl, pant and fight without biting the agitator."
I've gotten stuff from them before, despite the bad spelling (Pitt Bull Dog)... :rolleyes2:
http://www.schaferkennel.com/D1-4.html#D2
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » February 25th, 2008, 3:09 am

Thanks Christine. I guess I really need to try one out before I buy it. That's how I ended up with one that doesn't fit. I hate to wait until trial season though.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Return to Sports