Ella's Lead: New Ropes!!!

Have a Bully related CafePress store? Do you make or sell dog products? Let us know so we can shop there! Posting animals for sale is against board policy

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2008, 9:56 am

On February 20 2008, 6:35 AM, chewbecca wrote:you need a leash for your dog to tug?

We mainly use rappel ropes for our tugs. :mrgreen:

Yeah, when I'm heading out to the flyball lane, I like to just take one thing along...it's so easy to just hook on a leash and use it for a tug also. ;) I'm forgetful.

Xander saws through tuggies if I don't pay attention...so rope tuggies have historically worked the best...that's why I mentioned it. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby chewbecca » February 20th, 2008, 11:09 am

I think we can work something out.

Just be careful about the clamps. If the dog bites down hard enough on a clamp, it could very well break the dog's teeth.

We put advisory labels on our tug toys for this reason. :mrgreen:
http://www.ellaslead.com
The only lead you'll ever need.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2008, 11:52 am

On February 20 2008, 10:09 AM, chewbecca wrote:I think we can work something out.

Just be careful about the clamps. If the dog bites down hard enough on a clamp, it could very well break the dog's teeth.

We put advisory labels on our tug toys for this reason. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was wondering about the clamps...he tends to run back fast and just chomp down on whatever part he gets. Hmmm...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 23rd, 2008, 9:49 pm

The clamps wouldn't be good with a jump and grab type of dog. The Lola Loops are for more controlled work.

My dad found a knot that we might explore. It's called the Monkey's Fist.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/faqknot.htm

I would probably use a rubber ball as a core. If I get some time I'll try making up a tug toy with end(s) made out of the knot. Rappel rope is tough but not easy to knot up like that. I might need to use a little hammer to make the bends. But, it would last forever.
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » February 23rd, 2008, 10:21 pm

On February 23 2008, 8:49 PM, Ellas_Daddy wrote:The clamps wouldn't be good with a jump and grab type of dog. The Lola Loops are for more controlled work.

My dad found a knot that we might explore. It's called the Monkey's Fist.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/faqknot.htm

I would probably use a rubber ball as a core. If I get some time I'll try making up a tug toy with end(s) made out of the knot. Rappel rope is tough but not easy to knot up like that. I might need to use a little hammer to make the bends. But, it would last forever.

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
That actually looks like it might be "Mickey-Proof"... make us one... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 23rd, 2008, 10:25 pm

My box of scraps is already open and on the table. I'll see what I can make up and get back tomorrow with my results. :)
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby chewbecca » February 23rd, 2008, 10:30 pm

:giggle: "Monkey Fist" makes me laugh like a perverted schoolgirl. :giggle:
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 23rd, 2008, 10:31 pm

On February 23 2008, chewbecca wrote::giggle: "Monkey Fist" makes me laugh like a perverted schoolgirl. :giggle:

You have gotten crazy since your husband joined this forum. What is going on at that house?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby chewbecca » February 23rd, 2008, 10:33 pm

Because "monkey fist" just sounds like such a nasty term.
It reminds me of another term that I HIGHLY doubt I am allowed to talk about here.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 23rd, 2008, 11:16 pm

Oooh...sounds good! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :mrgreen:

Sounds like a very nice tug toy (you pervs)

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » February 23rd, 2008, 11:41 pm

Wow it sounds like it would be chew resistant too....Scooter kills everything. He loves to chew but so far nothing stands up.
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 24th, 2008, 1:16 am

On February 23 2008, 8:33 PM, chewbecca wrote:Because "monkey fist" just sounds like such a nasty term.
It reminds me of another term that I HIGHLY doubt I am allowed to talk about here.

Please. I beg of you. DON'T!!!!

But the tug sounds awesome!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » February 24th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Here's a monkey knot.
Now, if we sell these, we'll most likely make them out of our rappel rope.
AND the ends will be longer, but here's some pics of the actual monkey knot itself.

chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 24th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I made each end of the finish product about 30 inches long. They can be used as handles for you. The knot would then be in the dog's mouth. The rappel rope is super tough and I used a steel alignment tool to make it very tight. A pit bull could probably work it loose if left alone with it (although it might take all day). We all know how pit bulls are.

I'll put it up under the ready-to-walk section at our site. It will be $20.00 shipped. Shipping included. It used over 10 feet of rope and that adds up quick. However, this should prove extra durable.

I'll make a few more as I get time. I got the knot down pretty well. It wasn't easy.

Update:
Here is the page with the new product:
http://www.ellaslead.com/inc/sdetail/1164
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 24th, 2008, 1:58 pm

I was looking at your site and saw the "limited slip" collars. What limits the slip on them? They appear to be cloth choke chains?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ellas_Daddy » February 24th, 2008, 2:27 pm

We call them limited slip collars, because they aren't like standard choke collars. The material allows them to open up quickly after a correction. Choke collars don't seem to open as quickly for us. Limited slip is used to differentiate the two.

They are made out of two types of rope. The nylon double braided ones are eye-spliced around the rings. The others are made from static line that is also spliced around the rings. The core is partially removed from the static line to allow the splicing. It also allows them to lay a bit flatter on the dog's neck distributing the weight better. The strength is still there, though.
Ellas_Daddy
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » February 24th, 2008, 2:32 pm

We call them limited slip collars, because they aren't like standard choke collars. The material allows them to open up quickly after a correction. Choke collars don't seem to open as quickly for us. Limited slip is used to differentiate the two.

I understand what you are saying but "limited slip" implies that there is something on the collar to prevent unlimited slip. Martingale collars are called "limited slip" because they can only tighten a certian amount.

I think the name is somewhat misleading. Perhaps call them "fast release choke collars" or something like that?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Here's a good link on different types of collars, Rebecca... :wink:

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_d ... ollars.htm

Mick has worn one of the nylon ones (from a different site) and I didn't like it, because it really cuts into his neck and does NOT release easily... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby chewbecca » February 24th, 2008, 2:46 pm

On February 24 2008, amazincc wrote:Here's a good link on different types of collars, Rebecca... :wink:

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_d ... ollars.htm

Mick has worn one of the nylon ones (from a different site) and I didn't like it, because it really cuts into his neck and does NOT release easily... :|

We use one of the limited slip collars on Ella and it never cuts into her neck and she has a very sensitive neck.
But we also only use it as a back up, not as her only collar. :mrgreen:
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Well, yeah... w/Mick, the back up sometimes becomes "the collar"... also, his was very thin... I might give one of yours a try...
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Marketplace